SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-17, 07:54 PM   #1351
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

Like almost all good things for SH3, the skin packs are available on Plissken's website, under their creator IAmBecomeLife.

ftp://Maik:Woelfe@hartmuthaas.no-ip....3COMMUNITYMODS
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-17, 11:34 PM   #1352
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253

Been using 3.3 for a few weeks.

Outstanding work!

Thank you!!!

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-17, 02:04 PM   #1353
Otto Fuhrmann
Helmsman

Downloads: 57

That feeling when I accidentally sink an Irish steamer during the night...

Huge kudos for this mod, I am really enjoying it! Especially the Irish ships!
Otto Fuhrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-17, 06:05 PM   #1354
Pensy101
Swabbie

Downloads: 156

Can you install all the skin packs at once, or do you need to install and uninstall with JSGME as the war goes on?
Pensy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-17, 11:07 PM   #1355
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensy101 View Post
Can you install all the skin packs at once, or do you need to install and uninstall with JSGME as the war goes on?
You must install skin-pack in sh3commander just one time

To install you will need to unzip and copy all files into your \SH3 Commander\Date\ folder. When you launch SHIII from SH3 Commander the appropriate skins for your patrol date will be copied into your SHIII installation
Old 07-21-17, 10:19 AM   #1356
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

@iambecomelife: Great work and thanx for revisiting this, especially the ships lagging out of formation issue. This is one of the all-time most important mods that really adds so much depth to SH3.

So I saw this up earlier in the thread and nobody responded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin James View Post
Hi, thank you for your work on this excellent mod. I assume "MFM3.2 displacement correction mod" is no longer useful or needed?
I am curious about this myself. Here is the original post on this mod. I remember implementing this mod, and it is enabled in my soup, but I couldn't tell what effect, if any, it had on the ships in MFM. MFM is also pretty far back in my "mod soup history," so I've had to figure out what modifications I made to it from back then, e.g. I use GWX, but I implement NYGM's tonnage (vs. renown) numbers and sub equipment upgrade model, so I've made all the renown entries for the MFM ships equal to their displacement.

To quote the readme for the displacement mod:

Quote:
The MFM3.2 displacement correction mod updates displacement values in iambecomelife's Merchant Fleet Mod Prerelease No. 3.2 for Silent Hunter 3. There were some ships that had incorrect 'mass' and/or 'displacement' values; for instance, the original surface displacement values for AO01A, AO02A, O01B, and O02A were 900,000 [tons].

I decided to go, one-by-one, through every ship in the MFM3.2 Data/Sea folder. For each one I checked the displacement documented in the .cfg file, then opened up the .sim file and set mass to zero and then set surfaced displacement to the same value as given in the .cfg file.
As an example, I opened T08B.sim in MFM 3.3 and found the displacement set at 14000, but the displacement in T08B.cfg is listed as 12100.

In the displacement mod thread, everyone there says this is an important mod, but how so? I mod a little bit, but I prefer to go on the word of people who have more expertise than I do. However, I couldn't really see any immediate effect in the game. The only thing I noticed was that I did see ships randomly lag behind the convoys. I didn't see it happening before, but as iambecomelife seems to indicate, that was a problem in the original mod. I suspect that I just hadn't run across any of those ships before implementing the "fix."

Comments?
rudewarrior is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 12:04 PM   #1357
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

@Rude

I pm'd IABL some time back about this very same question. Here is our PM's to each other:

Re: MFM-Improved ? Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar2Niner
Hi IABL

I hope you are well, I have a quick question if I may. This has already been asked in the MFM thread but I guess you overlooked it. With MFM-Improved are myself and Martin James correct in assuming there is no need to run the Displacement Correction Mod? Many thanks for your continued great works.

Respect and kind regards.

Fubar2Niner

TBH I have never downloaded or used that mod. The displacements for many ships in the latest version were tweaked to correct seakeeping & keep ships on station in convoy, so I would just install the new MFM with no older mods above it.

Note that displacement in the rec manual may not match the displacement in the ship's .sim file. I did my best to stop ships from bobbing, but the problem cannot be resolved 100% in SH3.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps mate.

Best regards.

Fubar
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 12:29 PM   #1358
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar2Niner View Post
Hope this helps mate.
I think it does.

If I am reading the correspondence correctly, it seems to me that the displacement correction mod was actually moving MFM away from WAD.

It seems to me now that what IABL was doing was using displacements in the .sim files to make the ships behave a certain way in the game. At the same time, he was using the .cfg files to do the best he could with historical accuracy of the ships stats IRL.

So, IMO it seems that it would be best not to use the "fix," and it never was really in the first place as it would make the ships behave differently than what IABL intended, for good or ill (which at this point is unknown).

Unless someone can say with certainty this mod is useful or does in fact improve on IABL's work, I think I am going to remove this particular ingredient from my soup!

Thanx Fubar.
rudewarrior is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 06:59 AM   #1359
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843

Where can I download the T15B ship?
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 04:27 PM   #1360
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
Where can I download the T15B ship?
I will go digging in my old files. Keep in mind several ships were eliminated from the lineup before the mod was released. It may be one of them, but the mod is now so old I can't remember! I will let you know the results.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 04:31 PM   #1361
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudewarrior View Post
I think it does.

If I am reading the correspondence correctly, it seems to me that the displacement correction mod was actually moving MFM away from WAD.

It seems to me now that what IABL was doing was using displacements in the .sim files to make the ships behave a certain way in the game. At the same time, he was using the .cfg files to do the best he could with historical accuracy of the ships stats IRL.

So, IMO it seems that it would be best not to use the "fix," and it never was really in the first place as it would make the ships behave differently than what IABL intended, for good or ill (which at this point is unknown).

Unless someone can say with certainty this mod is useful or does in fact improve on IABL's work, I think I am going to remove this particular ingredient from my soup!

Thanx Fubar.
You're correct about my work in the .sim files - I was trying to get large tankers and other ships to stop bobbing like rowboats. As you know, the wave dynamics in SH3 aren't correct, and ships rock too much.

The latest version of the MFM removed these .sim changes. (In addition to NOT solving the wave action problem, my changes to the .sim file caused ships to maneuver badly.)
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 10:50 PM   #1362
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

I have the T15B folder from MFM 3.2 if it is needed.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 07:21 AM   #1363
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
I have the T15B folder from MFM 3.2 if it is needed.
I also have a folder from MFM 3.2, but it is half-empty.
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 08:54 AM   #1364
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

If of any use/need I have the T15B folder containing the four tga's from MFM 3.2

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 11:09 AM   #1365
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

That is the same as I have Jim. It is also the same as MFM 3.0. I also have the MFM-Lite-Beta 4.1, MFM v3 skin packs, and MFM 3.0 and Lite 4.1 displacement mods as well. Nothing I have has anything more than just the 4 T15B .tga files though.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote