SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-15-17, 01:00 PM   #5566
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Since having one custom skin per ship is impossible and we are limited to custom skin per ship class, it would really be nice to have the class name in japanese characters

I'm happy that you volunteered for that yyzBegonia, my ethernal gratitude goes for you An applause for this man please
Old 12-15-17, 01:48 PM   #5567
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Tell ya what yyzBegonia, the files are in the Data / Sea / ShipName folder, which in this case, is "NDD_Shiratsuyu". Be forewarned that this is not the only DD (or any vessel for that matter) that has "writing" on the side. I have no idea how accurate the drawings are - and that's what those are, is drawings. Done by hand by the "ship skinner". As an example, here's the whole #1 skin:

That is a 1024x1024 72dpi file (re-sized for posting), editable in PhotoShop, or any graphics app that is able to edit DDS files. There are five different skins (10 files including the "LR" versions, which are 512x512) in this particular folder, of which, four have these "emblems" on them. Such as:

#3.

#4.

#5.

You'll notice some "shakiness" in the drawings, since it is done by hand, maybe with a digital pen, but probably with a mouse up close. The "resolution" also "stair-steps". Skin number 2 in this particular set has no drawings on the side, and would be a good "base" for a person to start doing their own artwork with (hint-hint)... |;^) - A person could make multiple copies of the original file, and just paste their "artwork" over the top in that center area. Make the 1024x1024 file, and then re-size it to 512x512 and "Save As..." for the LR version...

For an example "research" hit, here's the link to the wikipedia page with the Shiratsuyu Class
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirat...lass_destroyer

and an example of one of the ships' side paint jobs:

Dates come into play as to when the ships have those side characters on them. Now, member max-peck was looking into doing some skins for war vessels, but he was thinking about the "dazzle" schemes, or camouflage "measures", and not "decorations" such as those characters
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage

From what I know of the currently active fellows on this team, none of us care one whit about "authenticity", so long as Mickey Mouse isn't drawn on the side of an IJN vessel and lit up with holiday lights - but it wouldn't surprise me any to see that they did in fact do something along those lines. Just so long as it looks like it's real is what matters most. The usual player doesn't know "orthography", much less how to read and interpret kana or kanji. However, since you are familiar with it, you are an excellent candidate to "mod" the skins... (hint-hint again )

In other words, if you're inclined to make a skin for any of the vessels, you are more than welcome to, either for your own personal use, or submit a sample to the team for consideration of incorporation into the mod, or as an add-in mod. Anyone else inclined to do similar is more than welcome also - seriously. Just let Rockin Robbins know that you're volunteering (PM is probably fine) and what you're doing, so we don't have four people doing the same thing (unless you're a "sub-team" - sorry, bad play on words ). The FotRSU team continually grows and shrinks. We've got "full-time", "part-time" and "consultant" people that are part of the team, and help is always appreciated. Right now, the team is busy getting ready for the next release, and really don't have time for "skiinning", as much as I want to do more of the USN "Measures" for various Classes, they're on the back burner, probably for a ~long~ time (hint-hint ). This also applies for getting existing mods ready for FotRSU. If you're so inclined, consult RR, get permission and do it. Your name will flash in lights on Broadway as tribute. In Wittenburg, MO, population 9 (I know it's more than 5, since Missy was pregnant last year!), but hey, Broadway!... ~SALUTE!!!~ (Hee-Haw style)

A word of caution though - Once you start modding, it is difficult to stop. I actually like doing it more than I like sailing the sea in my S18... ~sacrilege!~
I will be so glad if I could help! However since I'm still studying in the college I only have a few times to explore those files. And be honest my computer skills are limited Anyway it is the Christmas break and I may have some times to work on the skins of Japanese ships. BTW, I'm not full-agree with you that most of the folks doesn't know the orthography and make it looks like it's real is what matters most I believe there must be some Japanese guys playing this game, even this mod!
Old 12-15-17, 01:59 PM   #5568
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Since having one custom skin per ship is impossible and we are limited to custom skin per ship class, it would really be nice to have the class name in japanese characters

I'm happy that you volunteered for that yyzBegonia, my ethernal gratitude goes for you An applause for this man please
It's my pleasure to help you fantastic team! However I'm limited in PS skills or something like that, I may try my best to make some samples if you want, or if you think my samples are too crude I could try my best to give you suggestions such as accurate texts of t those characters, if you guys have plans to rework those skins in the future
Old 12-15-17, 02:34 PM   #5569
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Hi folks I'm back again!
Another report of a big-mistake (I hope you guys won't beat me for my chattering)
The Hatsuharu-class' model is wrong.
This is what we have in game:

It's correct, in some way. Because it is what they looks like when they just been built in 1933!

However it was reported that the hull was lack of stability and all Hatsuharu-class DDs were sent to reconstruct urgently in 1934.
That's what they looks like after the modification:

Since our campaign begins from 1941, it is impossible to encounter a Hatsuharu in 1933's hull.
Fortunately after reconstruction they looks just like Shiratsuyu-class (Shiratsuyu-class was actually developed from the 7th ship of Hatsuharu-class!), so it's quite easy to fix this problem: just copy the model of Shiratsuyu-class and rename it as Hatsuharu and it will be fine! Perhaps the only thing needs to do is change the characters painted on the side, and that's what I may help!

Last edited by yyzBegonia; 01-01-18 at 04:24 PM.
yyzBegonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 03:29 PM   #5570
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

There is a way to add nearly anything you want to anything that uses a eqp file.

Add a placement node on the part then create the stuff to be placed.
For the side lettering? I have an example nearly ready to send to you all.
Took me 15 minutes to do the 3D work and that was really slow cause I went outside to stand and have a smoke break.
So yes.
I was outstanding!

Using an Alpha channel the only thing that will show in game is the lettering or whatever we want to show.

Now this will need to be tested to see what happens when you hit that area and damages appear. Does it show the damage or does it over lay it?
Old 12-15-17, 04:10 PM   #5571
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
... I'm happy that you volunteered for that yyzBegonia, my ethernal gratitude goes for you An applause for this man please
Amen brother! Everybody loves a volunteer, especially Uncle Sam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzBegonia View Post
It's my pleasure to help you fantastic team! However I'm limited in PS skills or something like that, I may try my best to make some samples if you want, or if you think my samples are too crude I could try my best to give you suggestions such as accurate texts of t those characters, if you guys have plans to rework those skins in the future
If you can supply the lettering, we'll apply what Jeff suggests below, or if nothing else, copy and paste to what we have.

Quote:
Hi folks I'm back again!
Another report of a big-mistake (I hope you guys won't beat me for my chattering)
The Hatsuharu-class' model is wrong.
This is what we have in game:

It's correct, in some way. Because it is what they looks like when they just been built in 1933!

However it was reported that the hull was lack of stability and all Hatsuharu-class DDs were sent to reconstruct urgently
That's what they looks like after 1934:

Since our campaign begins from 1941, it is impossible to encounter a Hatsuharu in 1933's hull.
Fortunately after reconstruction they looks just like Shiratsuyu-class (Shiratsuyu-class was actually developed from the 7th ship of Hatsuharu-class!), so it's quite easy to fix this problem: just copy the model of Shiratsuyu-class and rename it as Hatsuharu and it will be fine! Perhaps the only thing needs to do is change the characters painted on the side, and that's what I may help!
Notice the date of that ONI file, of 1943... ?? Here's the infamous and totally unreliable wikipedia version of 1934:

Oh my gosh! Lettering on the side!!! Now, what it looks like to me (uned-juh-mah-cated in the ways of 3D), is that the ship doesn't lose it's upper-forward gun turret (M04) until 1944, so the RecMan is accurate for the game, just not real life... We'll see what happens with that. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
There is a way to add nearly anything you want to anything that uses a eqp file.

Add a placement node on the part then create the stuff to be placed.
For the side lettering? I have an example nearly ready to send to you all.
Took me 15 minutes to do the 3D work and that was really slow cause I went outside to stand and have a smoke break.
So yes.
I was outstanding!

Using an Alpha channel the only thing that will show in game is the lettering or whatever we want to show.

Now this will need to be tested to see what happens when you hit that area and damages appear. Does it show the damage or does it over lay it?
I will be more than happy to volunteer for testing that Jeff.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 04:19 PM   #5572
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Good that you are willing to test it.
Only need to add the node to the main dat and create the extra dat to store the placer object. Then do the texture with the alpha channel.

Now it is possible to use the same 3D object with as many textures as you wish. So file size is kept small.
So it would be a simple matter to change things in the eqp file as you wish.

I call it the Freedom Friday Mod.

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 12-15-17 at 04:36 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 04:59 PM   #5573
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:

If you can supply the lettering, we'll apply what Jeff suggests below, or if nothing else, copy and paste to what we have.

Notice the date of that ONI file, of 1943... ?? Here's the infamous and totally unreliable wikipedia version of 1934:

Oh my gosh! Lettering on the side!!! Now, what it looks like to me (uned-juh-mah-cated in the ways of 3D), is that the ship doesn't lose it's upper-forward gun turret (M04) until 1944, so the RecMan is accurate for the game, just not real life... We'll see what happens with that. Thanks.

Oh...it's my fault that didn't clear it up Yes the ONI RecManual was outgiven in 1943, but all Hatsuharu class destroyers had been already reconstructed to remove the turret B and a triple torpedo launcher but added one single-mount turret at stern in 1934, and that's what you've seen when wiki give you the picture taken in 1934 shows that the DD had been refitted.

Jeff's method seems great! I can supply lettering, and.....perhaps something else if I can think of it
Old 12-15-17, 05:06 PM   #5574
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

So pretty much a clone with an eqp file would do the Hatsuharu.
Believe it or not you are fast approaching the way GWX 4 was planned and started.
Old 12-15-17, 05:16 PM   #5575
yyzBegonia
Gunner

LOL I suddenly find that the space for putting kanas is so short that I can hardly put the whole name within it.
In fact the historical font should be flatter instead of vertically thin and tall like this way
Old 12-15-17, 05:29 PM   #5576
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Very limited working with stock texture files and stock UV mapping.
One reason I came up with terms your way for SH3.
I still wonder why other Mods don't use that.
Old 12-15-17, 05:44 PM   #5577
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1105
Uploads: 10

Quote:

Mate, you are on form tonight... You ok ?
Old 12-15-17, 05:52 PM   #5578
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1105
Uploads: 10

Quote:

LOL I suddenly find that the space for putting kanas is so short that I can hardly put the whole name within it.
In fact the historical font should be flatter instead of vertically thin and tall like this way
Very nice work...
Old 12-15-17, 06:25 PM   #5579
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Modified Akatsuki-class DD, IJN Akatsuki
Old 12-15-17, 07:21 PM   #5580
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Very limited working with stock texture files and stock UV mapping.
One reason I came up with terms your way for SH3.
I still wonder why other Mods don't use that.
Maddy was using it in the last days of FotRSU v1.3 for hull numbers on USN DD and other vessels. I'll have to see if I can find that thread later... He had red flares shooting when ships were sunk, and white flares shooting when the player's sub was detected. He also had issues with those campaign files that don't have terminations for some of the ships, which is about the only "bug" they had in the game, other than "The Sound"... The v2 in SH4 v1.4 still has all of that, but FotRSU does not.

Quote:

Modified Akatsuki-class DD, IJN Akatsuki
Oh no! this has GOT to be one of the fastest acting cases of modditis I believe I have ever ~seen~! Are you running a fever there yyzBegonia, or just dizzy (with excitement, seeing your idea work)? Excellent job sir! Carry on! - Caution, this is contagious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Mate, you are on form tonight... You ok ?
See? This is what happens when you not only crash a computer, but also trash your only copy of an essential program install... - Like modditis, it festers further complications...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote