SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-05-17, 09:47 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Windows dies faster than expected

http://www.asymco.com/2012/07/04/the...ows-advantage/

The trend is clear.

Quote:
Post-PC devices wiped out of leverage faster than it was originally built. They not only reversed the advantage but cancelled it altogether. Considering the near future, it’s safe to expect a “parity” of iOS+OS X vs. Windows within one or two years. The install base may remain larger for some time longer but the sales rate of alternatives will swamp it in due course.
The consequences are dire for Microsoft. The wiping out of any platform advantage around Windows will render it vulnerable to direct competition. This is not something it had to worry about before. Windows will have to compete not only for users, but for developer talent, investment by enterprises and the implicit goodwill it has had for more than a decade.
It will, most importantly, have a psychological effect. Realizing that Windows is not a hegemony will unleash market forces that nobody can predict.
I maybe will buy another Windows system sooner or later (as a game and sim launcher exclusively), but I will never buy a Windows-only peripheral hardware anymore. To me, Windows/Microsoft is a dead end. The future will be others'. And after their Windows-10 disaster, Microsoft deserves every single bit of this fate.
Old 07-05-17, 10:54 AM   #2
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Come on Skybird, lets have some facts from the present day instead of from an article that was wrote on Jul 4 2012. My distaste for this new Microsoft era runs deep through my veins but for you it seems as if its devouring your very soul, ease up a bit old boy its becoming rather boring reading about the impending doom of Microsoft every other week.
Old 07-05-17, 04:23 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Stupid me, I forgot to post half of the links. Sorry.

60% of devices, almost, run Android, Apple, Linux - 36% only Windows. Declining.

http://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic...to-the-sunset/

Comments.

Its about that the trend projected in 2012 actually has unfolded worse for Microsoft than figured back then. Though Google/Android has a bigger role in it, than Apple.

Take into account that the most used Wndows also still is W7, not W10, by far not. While gamers will repalce their W7 maybe with W10, most pro users and people knowing computer a bit probabaly will not. It can only get worse for MS. They intentionally damaged Windows for quesiton bable ideas of theirs, and this is what will drive Windows off the market.
Old 07-05-17, 05:22 PM   #4
Moonlight
Admiral

That's better old boy, I see that Linux only has an 0.77% share which doesn't surprise me one bit, I tried it for a week after following Rockin Robbins tutorial but all that typing into that terminal thing brought back memories of MSDos which was a backward step in the wrong direction me thinks.
I've looked at the cinnamon desktop on youtube thinking that it might be a lot better than Ubuntu but they were still typing into the terminal on that OS as well so I kicked Linux into touch.

I currently have a desktop I7 and an I5 laptop, both of them are running Win7 professional so I'll stick with the OS that I know best for now, if Linux can come up with an OS that you don't have to keep constantly typing into to get anywhere with it I'd give it a go but until then its off my bucket list.
Old 07-05-17, 09:06 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Mint Cinnamon here, 18.x

Once the system is set up, it runs and runs and the terminal should not be needed. At least for the ordinary "just user".

But you are right, that one can so easily run into the need to use terminal if one does not just use the system, but wants to tailor things a bit more, is something that will prevent Linux for another 25 years to become really popular.

And maybe we should be thankful for that. That is still is by far the safiest of the OS in use, is not becasue it cannot be damaged (it just is more difficult to attack it, but not impossible), but because the market share of less than 1% makes it so unattractive to code malware for it. Such code has too short reach in the wild.

Privately I have even stopped to recommend it, for that simple reason. Serious. Android once was said to be safe, too, but that has changed in recent years, due to its popularity. Google Playstore sees one infested app slipping through their controls after the other.

Hardware compatability is also something that handicaps Linux, especially printer, modems, scanner, and gaming hardware.

And affecting me personally: chess is a sad story under Linux, very, very sad. Chessbase database and Fritz interface, or Arena equivalents? None. If you want a bit more than just playing a quick chess match, then native Linux environment is a dry, desolate place.
Old 07-06-17, 01:20 AM   #6
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
That's better old boy, I see that Linux only has an 0.77% share which doesn't surprise me one bit, I tried it for a week after following Rockin Robbins tutorial but all that typing into that terminal thing brought back memories of MSDos which was a backward step in the wrong direction me thinks.
I've looked at the cinnamon desktop on youtube thinking that it might be a lot better than Ubuntu but they were still typing into the terminal on that OS as well so I kicked Linux into touch.

I currently have a desktop I7 and an I5 laptop, both of them are running Win7 professional so I'll stick with the OS that I know best for now, if Linux can come up with an OS that you don't have to keep constantly typing into to get anywhere with it I'd give it a go but until then its off my bucket list.
Had the same impression myself: Linux is too much of a throwback to DOS and too much of a bother, generally. My needs are simple and, if needs be, I have the knowledge and experience to handle whatever hiccups MS may throw my way, so I don't really see the need to complicate things by having to learn an OS that represents less than 1% of the platforms currently running. My digital 'footprint' is very, very small (no social media other than this forum) and I am at an age where whatever the "Man" might be able to suss from my web wanderings are of no use to them, unless they really, really care about the banalities of a senior citizen's life; I get the feeling my life is so boring, I, myself, won't notice when I die...

No, no need for complications: just fire it up and run it...

<O>
Old 07-06-17, 07:18 PM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Frankly, when I see a command line way to do things I just figure out what GUI apps to use to accomplish that. Windows also has many core functions which MUST be accessed from a command line. SH4CMS is a command like application. Why? Because it can't be done in a GUI without writing the GUI yourself. With a few lines of text I accomplished what a hundred megabytes of GUI code could not.

Don't dis the command line!

Interestingly, doesn't anybody think it's dishonest to link Android in with computer operating systems? Cell phones ARE NOT computers. No keyboard. You look at the Internet through a toilet paper tube, scanning back and forth on pages just to read the text. I would never consider writing FOTRSU on a cell phone--that would be as ludicrous as writing a novel on one. It might be a quick way to the looney bin, but it is no computer. Android and cell phones are their own monster, separate from the computer world. Considering them together is like watching a football game thinking the players and cheerleaders are interchangeable. They do different things, they are different realms.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 06:02 PM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:

In my tutorials I didn't get you into the terminal once. If you went there it was with someone else's guidance. In Linux today you only touch the terminal if you would like to.
Old 07-08-17, 06:55 AM   #9
Moonlight
Admiral

That's right RR you didn't use the terminal once, I have 2 other drives inside the desktop machine and I couldn't find a way to get Ubuntu to recognise them, I eventually gave up and told someone about my problem.

That's when I was told I was going to have to use the terminal to get them initiated, wow! a terminal, that's the same as using a command prompt isn't it, those old memories from the MSdos days went through my mind at that moment so I said no way and goodbye I'm not going back there again.
Old 07-08-17, 06:58 AM   #10
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
That's right RR you didn't use the terminal once, I have 2 other drives inside the desktop machine and I couldn't find a way to get Ubuntu to recognise them, I eventually gave up and told someone about my problem.

That's when I was told I was going to have to use the terminal to get them initiated, wow! a terminal, that's the same as using a command prompt isn't it, those old memories from the MSdos days went through my mind at that moment so I said no way and goodbye I'm not going back there again.
You can just start up Nautilus (or any of the other GUI file managers) and mount your disks. You can use the Disks GUI program to make those disks mount automatically on startup and you're gone to the races. No terminals were harmed in the process!
Old 07-08-17, 07:23 AM   #11
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

In Ubuntu Linux I have no trouble finding drives, usb drives, usb sticks etc, I use on the top left of the desktop "Files", that shows all drives folders etc. Otherwise I use Krusader, it is like the old Norton Commander.

@ Steve, one thing that is annoying an often happens is on the bar at the top a red button appears with a white horizontal line through it indicating an error, usually updating fixes it but is there a way to stop this happening? Maybe I should have manual updates set.

Sub captains go down with their ship!

Last edited by Reece; 07-08-17 at 07:50 AM.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-17, 07:48 AM   #12
Moonlight
Admiral

In 2020 when win 7 has finally been confined to the software scrapheap I'll give Linux another go, its all my fault as usual for not reading the Linux tutorials in the first place but I don't really want to read hundreds of pages of text just to set up my hardware and software environment.

Next time I'll be more prepared RR.