Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 08-31-10, 09:49 AM   #1
Checkmate King 2
Helmsman

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0
Default European Air War on XP / Need Help Please

I came across my old European Air War game and decided to try to reload it for the 1st time in several years, since going from Win98 to Win XP and I am having problems loading the game.

I have spent several hours searching around for work-around suggestions, including searching this forum.

I have only found two however, both are not working for me. I read one suggestion that said to copy the game to the hard drive and not load it. I had also read that the Microprose version should load on XP with no problem and the Infogrames version didn't like XP. I have even attempted to rename the exe file.

Every time I attempt to load the 1.2 patch to the Microprose version my hard drive keeps running and running and I keep getting a "not responding" message.

I have both the Microprose/Infogrames versions. Neither one will work and I keep getting the Win32 error when trying to launch the game after a install.

Does anyone happen to have any suggestions as to what I can do to get this game up and running?

Thanks
Checkmate King 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 09:57 AM   #2
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Do a search on european air war here, I had a thread about this too, tho don't remember if anyone could help me out with it.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 09:58 AM   #3
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

After going out of business, Microprose entrusted the EAW code to a group of enthusiasts that can be found in the SimHQ forums. They have developed an unofficial patch that is currently at 1.28e, and that fixes lots of problems with EAW in newer PCs.

Go here and have a read, then download the files and try: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...ml#Post3080992

Good luck
Old 08-31-10, 11:52 AM   #4
Checkmate King 2
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
After going out of business, Microprose entrusted the EAW code to a group of enthusiasts that can be found in the SimHQ forums. They have developed an unofficial patch that is currently at 1.28e, and that fixes lots of problems with EAW in newer PCs.

Go here and have a read, then download the files and try: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...ml#Post3080992

Good luck
Hey Hitman, thanks for the good link. It looks promising!
Old 09-01-10, 11:54 AM   #5
Checkmate King 2
Helmsman

Well no such luck with the new patch. I believe my video card to too high for the game to run correctly.

All of these years, I have always had problems with not having enough computer or video card. Now to looks as if I have too much !
Old 11-25-10, 07:03 PM   #6
ShadowWolf Kell
Medic

Downloads: 123

Sadly I couldn't find my EAW box when I was packing to move. I've looked but apparently they only have patches available.

That said, I picked up IL-2 1946.

Is there any place to actually find EAW? I was under the impression that the source code was made available to the public like F4 was, but I honestly haven't kept up to date on either sim in years. I still have my F4 though. Both the original MicroProse release with the big binder, and the Lead Pursuit version.

While packing my stuff up, I also ran across Pacific Air War of all things lol.
ShadowWolf Kell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-10, 05:45 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Get the old Battle of Britain II, it is superior to IL2 and EAW in so many aspects and despite having had a very buggy start some years ago, the mod community patch for patch turned it into something stable and - well, as I said: superior.

http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/...e069eb9610c8c6

(actual status is 2.11)

Last edited by Skybird; 11-28-10 at 06:12 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 04:36 AM   #8
TheHarleyMan2
Nub

Downloads: 0

I have researched different fixes for teh EAW for XP. There are so many information on fixes to make it work for XP, but I went to the sugessted links followed the instructions and still have scratchy looking main screens, briefing rooms, piloy career, choosing aircraft, armament, etc. most of it is hard to see and select certain options.

I tired copying the added files/fixes to appropriate files and still not working right.

Other than the the flight graphics are normal.

Would be cool for someone to make a "NEW" EAW game comatable with XP. I am not having any luck finding the appropriate files/downloads, to make this game work normal like it "USED TO"

Any ACCURATE HELP? I am not that savvy when it comes to computer talk to fixes.
TheHarleyMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 08:45 AM   #9
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

First of all, welcome aboard!

As for EAW, I've had no luck with it. The main issue seems to be that it simply
doesn't work with today's video cards. Shame.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 08:54 AM   #10
TheHarleyMan2
Nub

Hello and thanks!!!!
Old 03-14-12, 09:56 AM   #11
Checkmate King 2
Helmsman

Did you try looking over at SimHQ?

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...n_Air_War.html
Old 03-14-12, 02:30 PM   #12
TheHarleyMan2
Nub

I went to several forums and threads on the issue and like I said, I am not computer savvy so all the tech lingo and placing files/copying files, to wherever to over right a file, etc, is like getting a blind man to drive you from California to Florida!

I did so to the post and I saw the one photo that someone posted about what their page looked like. Mine is pretty much doing the same thing.

Guess I might need a video card/driver? I don't know?????
Old 03-14-12, 02:56 PM   #13
Checkmate King 2
Helmsman

I ended up finding someone to answer my threads where I was looking for help however, I can't remember exactly which forum it was on. I was able to get the 3rd party updates to work and the game to run however, the next issue was having problems with my joystick not being able to program all of the extra controls that I use to be able to do, back when I played the game on Win95 and Win98. So instead of going out and getting a new joystick, I decided just to give up on the game and have since deleted it and all of the other upgrades. So I have nothing more I can offer you.

Hope you have better luck then I did.