SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-22-05, 02:54 AM   #1
Ghost Dog
Planesman

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 0
Default Need help (Dyn Grps / Dyn Locs)

Im planning to develop a series of missions using dynamic objects but im pretty green at this.

Here's an example of what i'd like mission 1 to be, it will give you an idea of what i intend to do. im hoping that somebody can offer some help how to possibly generate these items.

Mission 1. Simple ASW encounter in Norwegian Sea.

1. One enemy SSN, SSGN or SSK randomly selected.

2. The enemy will have a random starting location, chosen from 3-4 different locations.

Thats it! now, how can I do that? Can I do any of those things I mentioned? Basically, I want to fight one enemy SSN, but I dont want to know where he is or which type he is at the start.

I guess its similar to 'quick mission', but a little more refined.

help?
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-05, 08:20 AM   #2
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I would use dynamic locations for that. Create you subs anywhere, and assign them a reasonable depth speed, and tactic.

Then, create a dynamic location (its on one of the drop down menus), and within the pages that are displayed for the location click the button to add a location; do this for each additional location you want to generate subs at. Inside the page assign all three submarines to the location (you only need to do this for one since they are linked) and for both Min and Max, enter 1 (so at least one and only one of the dynamic locations gets a sub assinged to it.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-05, 09:47 AM   #3
OKO
Commander

Downloads: 62

nothing more boring to always hunt the same boat doing the same thing on the same mission.

So, I suggest you also create a dynamic group, with 4 or 6 types of SSBN, or even with the same SSBN doing each time something new (new course, new speed)
Then, pick one out of the 6 (max 1 min 1) and assign it to dynamic location.

If you do this, you can have a random SSBN, with different speed (important ... or if it's always the same speed, you don't have to work for this, and the mission will be boring quite quickly) coming from different locations (using dynamic location as Molon Labe said)

When doing a mission, you must have in mind one VERY important thing =>

Even If I made this mission, I shouldn't be able to have more informations than if it was the first time I played it.

If you always think this way, you will have great replayable missions.
If you do this, you could play 50 times your mission with always something different, and always the same amount of work and interest.

If you don't use the above principle "even if I made ..." you won't play them more than 5 times without beeing bored.
Even test during creation will be very boring if there is no random factors.
OKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-05, 06:00 PM   #4
Ghost Dog
Planesman

ok. I think im doing something wrong. here is what ive done:

Sub 1: Akula I %33 of generation
Sub 2: Akula I improved %33 of generation
Sub 3: Akula II %33 of generation

Dynamic Group 1: %100 of generation. min 1, max 1. includes sub 1, 2 and 3.

Dynamic Location 1, 2 and 3: Min 1, Max 1. Inludes sub 1, 2 and 3.

Now it seems to me as though I should randomly have sub 1, 2 or 3 show up at either dynamic location 1, 2 or 3.

It seems as though %90 of the time, these subs are being generated at thier 'default' starting postions, not at the dynamic locations. Very rarely will one show up at a dynamic location. I ran 20 tests, and in 4 did a sub get generated at dynamic location.

What did I do wrong?
Old 09-22-05, 06:42 PM   #5
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Fish from the Seawolves has mentioned this to me as well, I think its a bug in the game.

To work around it, you might want to rely exclusively on the dynamic groups and cut out dynamic locations altogether.

You could creat a one master dynamic group, probability 100%, with four or so groups under it at 25% each. Each of these subgroups would have several subs assigned to it (you'll need to add all of these objects to the map for all dynamic locations), but allow only one of them to be generated.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-05, 07:44 PM   #6
Ghost Dog
Planesman

ok, I got it working but not with the dynamic locations. I just have one big dynamic group and random start boxes for the subs. this way, you dont know who you'll get or quite where they'll be.
Old 09-23-05, 09:56 AM   #7
Fish
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Dingo
ok. I think im doing something wrong. here is what ive done:

Sub 1: Akula I %33 of generation
Sub 2: Akula I improved %33 of generation
Sub 3: Akula II %33 of generation

Dynamic Group 1: %100 of generation. min 1, max 1. includes sub 1, 2 and 3.

Now it seems to me as though I should randomly have sub 1, 2 or 3 show up at either dynamic location 1, 2 or 3.

It seems as though %90 of the time, these subs are being generated at thier 'default' starting postions, not at the dynamic locations. Very rarely will one show up at a dynamic location. I ran 20 tests, and in 4 did a sub get generated at dynamic location.

What did I do wrong?
You are right, but not when you close the game and start again. Opening the same map without leaving the game generates this problem.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-05, 09:58 AM   #8
Fish
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
ok, I got it working but not with the dynamic locations. I just have one big dynamic group and random start boxes for the subs. this way, you dont know who you'll get or quite where they'll be.
Depends on the map, sometimes I use random start boxes, and sometimes DL fits best.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-05, 01:53 PM   #9
Jamie
Sonalysts Inc.

You can use Dynamic Groups and Dynamic Locations... just make sure you do two things:

1) Dynamic Locations are merely the potential spots that the list of platforms could go. So for instance if you have a dynamic group of 8 guys of which you are going pick a max of 4, make sure that you have 8 dynamic locations where those guys could be (not 4!)

2) Dynamic Groups will simply include or disclude a platform. The Dynamic Locations get parsed first, so their locations are set before a platform is even chosen yet. That's why you need to have as many Dynamic Locations as you have platforms in your Dynamic Group. That way all of the platforms will be place randomly and correctly, and then the Dynamic Group will just start deleting a bunch of them as specificed in your Min/Max settings.

Hope that helps!
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-05, 04:47 PM   #10
OKO
Commander

Downloads: 62

Quote:
here is the problem.

ALWAYS include ALL suspectible spawning platform to the mx/min number of dynamic locations.

this mean, if you could have 6 different subs (even same type, but created on the map) spawning there (on my above example), put max6/min6 and not max1/min1
just because this choice was made earlier, in the dynamic group, where just one of them was choosen.
BUT there is 6 different sub that should be able to use this locations.
So the mx/min number of the dynamic location must be the sum of ALL platforms susceptible to spawn here.
and you should assign all susceptible plateform to spawn here on the dynamic location objects list.

to resume :
you created 6 SSBN and you want only one to spawn
1) create dynamic group to choose one out of 6 already created on the map
2) create dynamic locations (1 to XXX dynamic locations), with min6/max6 and all 6 SSBN on the object list
OKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-05, 07:47 PM   #11
Jamie
Sonalysts Inc.

Exactly... So if you have 6 SSBNs in your Dyn. Group, and you may only be choosing 1,2, or 3 of those SSBNs at random, you STILL need 6 dynamic locations to accomodate ALL of those platforms (i.e. "they get placed first, then they get picked or not")
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote