SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-20-05, 04:48 AM   #1
joch40
Swabbie

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default strange ai

I think there are some very strange ways the ai plattforms act.

I try to "programm" a scenario with an pirate boat taking over an
Oiler. The only way I get this working is by
1.) ending the way points
2.) setting a Suicide Attack to the pirate
3.) when the pirate commes close to the oile run a second skript to set a Track Platform Command

so far so good now comes the problem. After the takeover (pirate follows oiler a close range for some time) I want both boats to go to the pirates nest (a yacht in a bay).

So I set the Olier to perform a Suicide Attack on the yacht and set speed up to 10 kn. This works.
Next I set the pirate to do exactly the same thing.....
No way the pirate runs on the last course and won´t do anything else. I even set up a seperate trigger on its way to change course later... no reaction.

I am lost. Help please.

Janko
joch40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-05, 05:43 AM   #2
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1
Default ups...

I came here happy because last night I found a solution for a DeltaIV who never did what I set in the transit waypoints (changing speed and allways running aground with the same part of a bay).

I solutioned it with scripts forcing her to take that course, at that speed, now that depth...

And now you say that this is not a "perfect" solution and not allways works...

I'm lost too
Old 09-20-05, 05:51 AM   #3
joch40
Swabbie

Good to know somebody has the same problems

I´ve got this problem too. So my workaround is to set just one way point, rather close to the starting position (not too close) and after that I start the skripts. At that point the Suicide Attack becomes very (!) important because it is the only working solution to trak, follow or search for other boats .....

But then this things stops working at a point.

Cheers

Janko
Old 09-20-05, 06:42 AM   #4
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

i do to i have these problems but i always set the waypoints some where farther out than normal usualy works

as for the AI changing depth and speed here:

you got the little boxes four of them in transit barrier area waypoints ect well click each one and you should get a screen and there you can change speed and depth

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-05, 07:35 AM   #5
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1

Yeah, I know how to set changes of speed and depth with the waypoints, the problem is that sometimes the AI "Captains" seems to have other ideas and don't do what is supposed to do. So I'm forced to set scripts to push them to make what I want them to do.

Maybe the solution is setting the waypoints farther, but when you want a ship to exit from a bay or small land area...
Old 09-20-05, 07:44 AM   #6
joch40
Swabbie

Kaptain,
FERdeBOER,

these are two topics.

Right waypoints are easy most of the times and I think we all know how to use them.

But Skripts are much more powerfull and therefor they should work or at least we should noe what works and what not.

Example: In my scenario the olier has a set course that he will take if the pirate dosent manage to get him. As there is an Helo and a FFG the out come is not clear in the beginning. Even if he gets the olier I dont know where this will happen because I dont know where the Helo is patrolling (as this is the players part).

SCS invest a lot of work into this editor, at least they should know the reasons for this strange ai and what can be done by work-a-rounds.

Cheers

Janko
Old 09-20-05, 08:29 AM   #7
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

thanks

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-05, 11:53 AM   #8
OKO
Commander

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by joch40
Example: In my scenario the olier has a set course that he will take if the pirate dosent manage to get him. As there is an Helo and a FFG the out come is not clear in the beginning. Even if he gets the olier I dont know where this will happen because I dont know where the Helo is patrolling (as this is the players part).
1) use an attached approach trigger around the oiler to check the pirate come close to the oiler
2) use suicide attack for the pirate to approach the oiler wherever it is.
3) when the attached goal is completed use a script for another suicide attack from both oiler and pirate to the yacht

did you tested this ?
OKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-05, 12:53 PM   #9
joch40
Swabbie

Not exactly in this way. Will do so and come back.
Thanks

Janko
Old 09-20-05, 03:14 PM   #10
joch40
Swabbie

Hi OKO

Quote:
1) use an attached approach trigger around the oiler to check the pirate come close to the oiler
2) use suicide attack for the pirate to approach the oiler wherever it is.
3) when the attached goal is completed use a script for another suicide attack from both oiler and pirate to the yacht
Thanks for your hint, but this doesn´t works either. I tried it.

In a strange way it feels(?!) like the suicide attack is used up, so you can give that order once and thats it.

What happens is that the pirate kind of overshoots the oiler (as I change the suicide "object") and then stays on the last course it had.

In DebugView I can see that the pirate acuires the second target ship, but then it is not changing it´s course.

What do you think?

Thanks for the help

Janko
Old 09-20-05, 04:15 PM   #11
Fish
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0

Perhaps you can do something with the remove/create platform. Remove the Pirat when it approach the oiler and create a new pirat with a new task (suicide attack).
Must say, I am sleepy now., so perhaps I am missing something.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-05, 02:13 AM   #12
joch40
Swabbie

Thanks for the answer Fish

Quote:
Perhaps you can do something with the remove/create platform. Remove the Pirat when it approach the oiler and create a new pirat with a new task (suicide attack).
I´ve thought about this, but I don´t know how to create the pirate at an location that is not known in advance. The pirat should apear at the place of the takeover and I don´t know were this will be.

In general I think it would be a good idea to know what Skript Commands work (allway, sometimes, once, never). Maybe this forum should collect these information.

Have you seen this behavior as well.

Cheers

Janko
Old 09-21-05, 12:33 PM   #13
OKO
Commander

yes, I had problem with repeated suicide attack script.

try this mission =>
http://okof4.free.fr/missions/DW/tuto/mine_sweeper.mu

use show truth and time X16
you will see suicide script could be used more than once on the same plateform, but with various results ...

Quote:
instead of this, you could use something quite different =>
when the pirate reach the approach trigger, order the oiler and the pirate to change course to go to the yacht bearing, and use a suicide attack srcipt for the yacht to meet them
what do you think about this solution ?
Old 09-21-05, 02:43 PM   #14
joch40
Swabbie

Hi OKO,

Quote:
yes, I had problem with repeated suicide attack script.

try this mission =>
http://okof4.free.fr/missions/DW/tuto/mine_sweeper.mu
will do so in the moring.

Quote:
instead of this, you could use something quite different =>
when the pirate reach the approach trigger, order the oiler and the pirate to change course to go to the yacht bearing, and use a suicide attack srcipt for the yacht to meet them
what do you think about this solution ?
two things:
1.) how can I set the course to the bearing of the yacht when I am not sure were the take over will happen? Is there a way to combine the bearing und course skript commands?
2.) meeting with the yacht is an idea but I think it would be much more normal for pirates to get a ship to a location were they can unload it. So I think it has to be a bay or something. Actually that was the reason I invented the yacht for. Because otherwise I had no way to send the oiler (and the pirate) to this location without knowing where they would meet in advance.

Thanks for the Idea I will come back to you after I tried your scenario.

Janko
Old 09-21-05, 06:22 PM   #15
OKO
Commander

Quote:
two things:
1.) how can I set the course to the bearing of the yacht when I am not sure were the take over will happen? Is there a way to combine the bearing und course skript commands?
well ... if you have an idea of where the bearing should be you can do something =>

suppose the yacht will be beetween your 0° and your 90°
script oiler and pirate to go to 45° (in the middle) and script the yacht to make suicide attack on them
So : use average bearing values for the oiler and pirate, and suicide script for the yacht
I know it's not a complete satisfactory solution, but it could works, depending on the theatre obstacles.
Don't forget to script oiler and pirate for pathfinding if there is some relief around

Quote:
2.) meeting with the yacht is an idea but I think it would be much more normal for pirates to get a ship to a location were they can unload it. So I think it has to be a bay or something. Actually that was the reason I invented the yacht for. Because otherwise I had no way to send the oiler (and the pirate) to this location without knowing where they would meet in advance.
on some scenario, I used destination trigger to force new heading
example =>
approach goal completed => oiler and pirate go to bearing 090
10 miles away, a large destination trigger for them (so 2 triggers ...) and when they reach it, they change course again for new course.
I know this is really not accurate ... but I couldn't find anything else for your problem ...