Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-03-10, 10:27 PM   #76
malkuth74
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergei View Post
Or you could use the Fast 90. Works a treat.

whats a fast 90. You got my attention.

malkuth74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 10:33 PM   #77
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Yep, works.
Not quite as intuitive, cos you can't see the dials, but tell the annoying officer who pops up in the periscope your bearing, AOB, range and speed and it is a fast 90.

AOB changes to reflect your periscope bearing.

Again, you cannot see this diredctly. But I have checked. Change your bearing, then check the AOB, you will see it has changed to reflect the new AOB.
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 07:36 PM   #78
Johnyy
Nub

Downloads: 1

Damn this is weird. I'm new to this sim and none of it is making sense. To return to the initial query, I have it set to auto and can't get any feeling for how to target

Mostly my torpedoes miss, but I have had one hit. Heres some of the problems:

Sometimes the torpedoes leave the boat on the same bearing of the boat

Sometimes they leave the boat at an angle

The gizmo for choosing the range of the target seems to have no options except match the shape of the ship - you move the mouse up and the overlaid image matches the target. But there seems to be no control over waterline or bridge roof height. Consequently the range to target never seems to change

--

I thought this sim would be interesting, but it does not seem to behave in any kind of intuitive manner. Surely dumb torpedoes leave the sub in the direction it is pointing. So why do they go off at an angle if it is in anyway an accurate representation
Johnyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 08:19 PM   #79
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkuth74 View Post
whats a fast 90. You got my attention.
"Fast 90" is when you set yourself up at a perfect 90 degree angle, around 800m from the path of travel of your target. Depending on it's speed you'll fire around 10-20 degrees before they reach 0 (depending on their direction of travel).

What's nice about this is three things. 1) range doesn't matter, it's all angles so range cancels out 2) you preset everything in your TDC and don't touch it. Set Range to 800, set AOB to 90, set speed to whatever they are moving at then 3) watch the Gyroangle. It'll read 000 when your periscope is pointing at the proper bearing so that whatever it's pointing at will be hit by the time that part hits 000 bearing from your ship. The torpedo simply swims in a straight line.

I'd posted a picture of this kind of attack in the screenshot thread.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 09:00 PM   #80
Vikinger
Captain

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 6

Its so easy in auto mode.

Dont get blinded of thos 1,2 .3 dots you se. They are ther just as a reference.

Se the lines as a measurement instead.

Imagine the lines as a measurment tape whit out the dots and numbers.

When the ships line cross yours at same point, let say 2,5 inces or, 2,5 cm (what you prefer), fire the torps.

Iol guess we soon will se a mod that converts thos 1,2,3 dot line to a measurement tape
Old 03-28-10, 09:24 PM   #81
simsurfer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 54
Default For those using Auto TDC Read this:

If your like me and Want to use Auto TDC, you have GOT to read this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=165015

Forget lining up the numbered circles, that is old skool. Read the article at: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=165015

Read it a few times, then try it, I almost NEVER miss! Even at ranges over 3000 yards.
Old 03-28-10, 10:27 PM   #82
Frederf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 1

I haven't given it proper thought but my inkling is that the "1, 2, 3 dots" are not "auto-TDC." Auto-TDC is when you have targeting help on in the difficulty options and you select the "TDC On" option from the XO dialog. The "1, 2, 3 dots" method shows up the same no matter if your difficulty setting is 0% Easy or 100% Real.

If you use the actual Auto-TDC, not the 1, 2, 3 dots, then you can see behavior that is kind of like the old SH3/SH4 method with the green/yellow/red solution triangles and some automatic TDC info entry.

Thing is that this method appears to be only partially functional. Not all of the values are auto-entered like they used to in SH3/SH4. If you autopilot as if it was the SH3/SH4 assisted targeting method then I think the speed/AoB isn't entered so you always end up shooting at a mathematically stationary target, thus missing well behind on normal, moving targets.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 11:25 AM   #83
das numnutz
Watch

Downloads: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itkovian View Post
I second that: a SH5 manual TDC tutorial would be a godsend to a great many players.

Itkovian

I wholeheartedly second this motion. A lot of the techniques presented in this thread are useful but it would be nice if the kind Subsim veterans could collaborate on a comprehensive, SH5 dedicated, quadruple Ts thread (Targeting Tips, Tricks, Tutorials).
Old 01-15-11, 04:51 PM   #84
DarthVrooks
Seaman

Downloads: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
I haven't given it proper thought but my inkling is that the "1, 2, 3 dots" are not "auto-TDC." Auto-TDC is when you have targeting help on in the difficulty options and you select the "TDC On" option from the XO dialog. The "1, 2, 3 dots" method shows up the same no matter if your difficulty setting is 0% Easy or 100% Real.

If you use the actual Auto-TDC, not the 1, 2, 3 dots, then you can see behavior that is kind of like the old SH3/SH4 method with the green/yellow/red solution triangles and some automatic TDC info entry.

Thing is that this method appears to be only partially functional. Not all of the values are auto-entered like they used to in SH3/SH4. If you autopilot as if it was the SH3/SH4 assisted targeting method then I think the speed/AoB isn't entered so you always end up shooting at a mathematically stationary target, thus missing well behind on normal, moving targets.
I just got SH5 today and have the same problem myself with the auto-TDC missing aft of the target. I guess it's time to try a different shooting method.

edit: In auto the target's speed is showing 0.

Last edited by DarthVrooks; 01-15-11 at 05:06 PM.
DarthVrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 05:05 PM   #85
Dissaray
中国水兵

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylania View Post
"Fast 90" is when you set yourself up at a perfect 90 degree angle, around 800m from the path of travel of your target. Depending on it's speed you'll fire around 10-20 degrees before they reach 0 (depending on their direction of travel).

What's nice about this is three things. 1) range doesn't matter, it's all angles so range cancels out 2) you preset everything in your TDC and don't touch it. Set Range to 800, set AOB to 90, set speed to whatever they are moving at then 3) watch the Gyroangle. It'll read 000 when your periscope is pointing at the proper bearing so that whatever it's pointing at will be hit by the time that part hits 000 bearing from your ship. The torpedo simply swims in a straight line.

I'd posted a picture of this kind of attack in the screenshot thread.
You cand use this method for any range of attack too. The range seting isn't realy all that important, as long as you are within a few hundred meters of the actual distance to the target you are good to go. Using this method you can easyly hit targets from 2km, you could even go from maximum range of the torpidos with this if you wanted, though closer is obviously easyer.
Dissaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-18, 09:57 PM   #86
Redwake
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 11

Don't feel bad. Juat had a target at 800 meters and all four are a dud and the ship turns on a ****ing dime and rams me destroying my sub. Honestly I thought I'd be happy with twos but I'm thinking of just shelving this game after that.

Upon this happening I chucked my mouse down and I guess I broke it. So deffently no more sh5 for me. Go figure. Go out of my way to try and get this game to run and it's been a constant **** show. Maybe I should of took it as a sign not to play this game wit how diffuclt it was to even get it running.

Last edited by Redwake; 10-22-18 at 10:14 PM.
Redwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-18, 07:21 AM   #87
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwake View Post
Maybe I should of took it as a sign not to play this game wit how diffuclt it was to even get it running.
Don't get me wrong, but I think that you should, definitely...Simulations by the definition require some patience which is clearly missing here. There is a perfectly logical reason why you wasted all of your torpedoes but I won't bother to explain you because it would be quite pointless in this case. Maybe you should stick with World of War****s...

Sorry about your mouse though...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-18, 02:06 AM   #88
Redwake
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Don't get me wrong, but I think that you should, definitely...Simulations by the definition require some patience which is clearly missing here. There is a perfectly logical reason why you wasted all of your torpedoes but I won't bother to explain you because it would be quite pointless in this case. Maybe you should stick with World of War****s...

Sorry about your mouse though...
Duds... that's the logic. And my patience was gone at that point.. had a rather **** day that day before hand. But nice way to cover the salt with a remark about my mouse.
Old 04-02-19, 07:09 AM   #89
xfiles
Swabbie

Downloads: 14
Default the little 1,2,3-circle method in wos ???? sh5

Hi

in auto-tdc I can´t se the the little 1,2,3-circle method for Torpedo aiming in the attackmap, how do I activate this in wolwes of steele ?? sh5
xfiles is offline   Reply With Quote