Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-20-14, 08:47 PM   #61
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
Once again...I'm no truck driver....but 1700 RPM doesn't sound right....

My Mom's Toyota Camry can do 7000 RPM
But you Mums Camray cannot pull 80,000 lbs.
Gas engines will rev higher than diesels. 2 stroke gassers are capable of 12,000 rpms. The diesel in the cabover (4 stroke) only would rev out to 2,400 rpm and my C15 CAT (another 4 stroke) is only good for about 2,200. With diesels it is all about torque, not rpms. That and the heavier loads are why there are so many gears.
The old Detroit 318's and 238's are both 2 stroke diesels and they would rev about 3,000 rpms. They would also run 'backwards' if you gave them the chance.

We the willing, led by the unsure, have done so much with so little, for so long, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
swamprat69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 08:54 PM   #62
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Neal....
do you blow your load off or get it sucked off?

We the willing, led by the unsure, have done so much with so little, for so long, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Old 04-20-14, 09:04 PM   #63
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
I dunno, maybe it's 700 RPMs peak torque but somehow that doesn't sound right either.
Then again, I'm a stroke survivor at the cost of memory. Gonna have to dig around for my old CDL school literature and double check my figures.
I'll get back to you on that.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 09:46 PM   #64
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolferz View Post
I dunno, maybe it's 700 RPMs peak torque but somehow that doesn't sound right either.
Then again, I'm a stroke survivor at the cost of memory. Gonna have to dig around for my old CDL school literature and double check my figures.
I'll get back to you on that.
Peak torque should be around 1,200-1,500 rpm. Depending on the engine.
Idle speed should be around 700 rpm.
But what do I know, I've only been at it for 45 years. All I know for sure is that I stomp on the long skinny pedal on the right and the truck goes. When I run out of places to put the stick, I should be in top notch and doing about 65mph, unless it is at the top of a long downhill straight stretch, then I back it off to 60 mph. Gurarnteed IF there is nothing in front of me and it looks like no cops behind me at the bottom I will be doing about 80mph. This is in summer time on bare dry roads. I NEVER throw it into neutral at the top of a hill and I always let the Jake do its' thing unless the road is wet.

Old 04-20-14, 10:48 PM   #65
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprat69er View Post
But you Mums Camray cannot pull 80,000 lbs.
Gas engines will rev higher than diesels. 2 stroke gassers are capable of 12,000 rpms. The diesel in the cabover (4 stroke) only would rev out to 2,400 rpm and my C15 CAT (another 4 stroke) is only good for about 2,200. With diesels it is all about torque, not rpms. That and the heavier loads are why there are so many gears.
The old Detroit 318's and 238's are both 2 stroke diesels and they would rev about 3,000 rpms. They would also run 'backwards' if you gave them the chance.
True...but why would the engine max out at 1700?
Old 04-21-14, 04:46 AM   #66
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
True...but why would the engine max out at 1700?
Because it's a huge engine with huge pistons that would put a lot of stress on engine components if they revved higher. It's the same why V8 muscle cars do not rev as high as 4 or 6 cylinder sport cars. In general you can say the bigger the engine the lower the rpm.

Regarding the noise level in the "no nose" trucks it seems they have come a long way. I once took a ride in one of our Volvos and it was actually very quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprat69er
Peak torque should be around 1,200-1,500 rpm. Depending on the engine.
Idle speed should be around 700 rpm.
That sounds about the same as our engines.

Last edited by Schroeder; 04-21-14 at 04:58 AM.
Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 05:10 AM   #67
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Haha, true conning tower, indeed. I feel like a U-bootman,living in this tiny space. I have to move my TV tray/laptop desk every time I want to go forward. It's really cool, I'm digging it. Funny thing, I was thinking about the last few jobs I've had.... Two years ago I was a SUB (substitute teacher) and now I'm a TANKER. Let's just hope "destroyer" isn't next

7,000 RPMs? My truck does 1700 max.
That's because you've yet to build up your testosterone levels to the same level as these elderly gentlemen

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 06:28 AM   #68
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Neal, while you get the experience over the next year or so work on obtaining a TWIC card and get TSA approved. TWIC will allow you to access the ports for pick up and delivery. The TSA approval allows airport pick up and delivery. With these two approved identifications you become a much sought after driver. TWIC is basically getting your ID checked by the Fed. Card issued if you check out. Easy enough but cost is about $100. TSA is a test and certificate issues. Landstar has the test for our contractors. They plan on opening it to our brokers. When it is available I'll send the link so you may participate and get TSA approved.
Old 04-21-14, 07:23 AM   #69
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
Ok, I'm pretty sure that it's 7000 RPM peak torque. That's not the maximum RPM the engine runs at. It's the torque point for smooth shifting of the gear box for a big old turbo charged diesel engine.
I'm sure you've noticed a truck driver revving the motor on occasion when he's going through the gears.
Swamprat has been doing it long enough to know when to shift by sound and feel. Yeah, we drive by the seat of our pants.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 08:13 AM   #70
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Neal, you need to get your F.A.S.T. card and Passport, too. Then you can haul up here to the frozen north and see how your country cousins live.

Old 04-21-14, 08:41 AM   #71
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Neal, while you get the experience over the next year or so work on obtaining a TWIC card and get TSA approved. TWIC will allow you to access the ports for pick up and delivery. The TSA approval allows airport pick up and delivery. With these two approved identifications you become a much sought after driver. TWIC is basically getting your ID checked by the Fed. Card issued if you check out. Easy enough but cost is about $100. TSA is a test and certificate issues. Landstar has the test for our contractors. They plan on opening it to our brokers. When it is available I'll send the link so you may participate and get TSA approved.
I have the TWIC card, it is now $135.

Will have to check on TSA, I thought that was part of TWIC.

Quote:
Neal....
do you blow your load off or get it sucked off?
In that case, the plant pumped it off, so sucked, I guess.

I thought FAST cards were for Canadians coming into the US?

Not sure about driving in Canada--cold, snowy, and they don't like Texans, is what I hear. If the pay was significantly higher, maybe, but I think the company pays the same cents/mile, so I'll just stay in the States. I was thinking about renewing my passport, but if I did, I would be tempted to travel again, and I am trying to save $$$.
Old 04-21-14, 09:26 AM   #72
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post

I thought FAST cards were for Canadians coming into the US?

Not sure about driving in Canada--cold, snowy, and they don't like Texans, is what I hear. If the pay was significantly higher, maybe, but I think the company pays the same cents/mile, so I'll just stay in the States. I was thinking about renewing my passport, but if I did, I would be tempted to travel again, and I am trying to save $$$.
Every load I haul, I get sucked off. (There is no pump on my truck for pumping a load off.)

Mine was issued in US. I think it is a 2 way street.

No matter which country you travel in, you will get ignorant and arrogant people.

The truth....We haven't had any snow here around North Bay, ON in a week. Temperature this morning was 41F The snow is/should be gone until at least next November. In the late summer, August it can and does get hotter here than it is in Florida.
Schneider National runs both sides of the border. I think they have a yard around Toronto.

I took this off the schneider website.
Schneider has more than 400 Canadian drivers and 70 Canadian office associates executing nearly 1,000
flawless border crossings each week. You’ll enjoy peace of mind knowing our team is FAST-,PIP- and
C-TPAT certified and fully compliant with all CSA requirements

Last edited by swamprat69er; 04-21-14 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-21-14, 09:38 AM   #73
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Information on F.A.S.T. Cards
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/fast.../menu-eng.html

About FAST

FAST is a joint initiative between the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs and Border Protection that enhances border and trade chain security while making cross-border commercial shipments simpler and subject to fewer delays.
It is a voluntary program that enables the CBSA to work closely with the private sector to enhance border security, combat organized crime and terrorism, and prevent contraband smuggling. Under the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, FAST members who are Canadian or U.S. citizens can use their FAST membership card as an alternative document to the passport when entering the United States by land or water. Permanent residents of Canada or the United States still require a passport and visa (if applicable) to enter the United States.
The CBSA and industry are mutually committed to maintaining the FAST program requirements and they work together to achieve compliance and to find solutions to problems.

Last edited by swamprat69er; 04-21-14 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-21-14, 11:00 AM   #74
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolferz View Post
Any deviation would have a dispatcher pinging you to ask why you're not where you should be.
A particular pain in the Ass when parked overlong(20 minutes tops-truckers get priority!) just outside Fallon Nevada 'chaining up' for the big drop down the mountain?...AT THE MUSTANG RANCH!

Quote:
Peak torque should be around 1,200-1,500 rpm. Depending on the engine. Idle speed should be around 700 rpm.
The fuel squeezer 290 Cummins with exhaust turbo(1/3 of the power) went from 500 to 2200 but pulling long passes uphill was a reverse thinking process: you brought the RPM down to 1300 RPM so it sounded like you were 'lugging' for maximum efficiency as opposed to as standard two stroke Detroit-Allison where you ran full RPM just to get up the mountain. I did 'put it to it' one time though at Knolls Utah on I-80 with nothing but the Bonneville Salt Flats all around me (a 1000 sq miles of salt flats and nothing to hit!) for an escape ramp and new tires and rear ends in the tractor's axels. I was keeping up with a much faster Carolina Western west bound against the prevailing westerly wind-always a factor in fuel consumption- and at the top of the grade maxed out on my speedometer at 90 mph down hill...before putting it into neutral! I passed that Cat-equipped CW, now motivated by gravity and freight with no engine to slow me,(Mexican Overdrive) and later at the rest stop in Elko Nevada, He claimed his speedo went to 110 (his speed at the time) and he had never been passed(est. 115+) by a Midwestern before "was I running empty or burning jet fuel?" I coasted in neutral for some distance before slowing down enough to regain the top gear on the tach...no Utah Patrol in sight till Wendover! We got 4 miles to the gallon in them-thar days. Fuel that year went from .25-to $1.00+ a gallon and getting into a truckstop meant going through some nasty picket-protest lines at the pumps all that summer..

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 01:11 PM   #75
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

An aluminum bucket over the satellite mushroom fixes the parking situation when behind the cat-house.

When I was a lot younger and stupid, I ran a few big hills in mexican od. Not no more.....I am older now. I didn't say I was any smarter, just older.

Tags
driver, truck, trucker, truckers, trucks