SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-31-17, 09:08 PM   #1
starkwolf
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Is reassignment to training a reward, punishment, or timed?

Regarding SHIII Commander, I recently had a captain retired to training duties. I am not aware of what that generally meant in terms of German programs whether it was a timed retirement (he served 3 years almost on the dot), the result of dissatisfaction from his commanders that they didn't think he was aggressive enough (which would be strange because I killed about 5 ships, most of them high tonnage), or from being so satisfied that they want him to train in the new guys, like what the US did with ace pilots.

Just curious how to interpret that.
starkwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-17, 10:26 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

It's just an attempt at realism, since most captains didn't patrol forever. There are some others, which I've only read about since I've never played long enough to get that deep into a career.

The SH3 Commander User Guide explains this. Once a Kaleun is retired you can continue the same boat's career with a new captain.

Another option is, when starting a new career, go to the Career Options panel and make sure that Simulate a Realistic Career Length is unchecked.
Old 11-01-17, 10:08 AM   #3
starkwolf
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
It's just an attempt at realism, since most captains didn't patrol forever. There are some others, which I've only read about since I've never played long enough to get that deep into a career.

The SH3 Commander User Guide explains this. Once a Kaleun is retired you can continue the same boat's career with a new captain.

Another option is, when starting a new career, go to the Career Options panel and make sure that Simulate a Realistic Career Length is unchecked.
So it sounds to me like it is more a matter of 3 years of service is sufficient, as opposed to having done particularly poorly or particularly well. I get that it is a realism thing, I was just unsure whether this was the standard point to retire, or if I had done particularly well or badly.
Old 11-01-17, 10:46 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

It's based on several factors. I don't know all of them, but here's what the User Guide says:
Quote:
Simulate a realistic career length: Select this option to automatically retire the Commander after a random number of patrols (based on the number of days spent at sea and the minimum and maximum number of patrols completed by real commanders). If you select this option, please be aware that the randomisation occurs every time you launch a career using SH3 Commander, but not when your career is mid-patrol. So, if you like to tinker between patrols without actually starting a patrol be aware of this and uncheck this option prior to launching Silent Hunter III.
Old 11-08-17, 12:24 PM   #5
David I
Ensign

Downloads: 360
Default Training Duties

Like most Navies of the world, the KM would assign Captains with combat experience to training new officers on how to succeed as U-boat officers. This included combat and survival techniques that just aren't in the manual.

This was actually a kick upstairs and frequently involved a promotion. Not as prestigious as a squadron command but still.....

Officers with actual combat experience teaching new officers the ropes was, and still is, essential.

David I

PS: The Imperial Japanese Navy did not do this, as a general rule, through the early part of the war, so new officers and captains were relearning the same old lessons from scratch over and over again. In 1943 the IJN command had to send direct orders for their Captains no to go down with their ships for this very reason.
David I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 08:22 PM   #6
Kapt Z
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkwolf View Post
So it sounds to me like it is more a matter of 3 years of service is sufficient, as opposed to having done particularly poorly or particularly well. I get that it is a realism thing, I was just unsure whether this was the standard point to retire, or if I had done particularly well or badly.
I'm impressed you got that far. Most of my commanders get put on the beach at around 5 patrols(6-8months) with this option tagged.
Old 11-26-17, 10:26 AM   #7
starkwolf
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapt Z View Post
I'm impressed you got that far. Most of my commanders get put on the beach at around 5 patrols(6-8months) with this option tagged.
I did have the time between patrols randomized. Total number of patrols was still much higher though, about 15 or so.