SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-15-19, 05:27 AM   #1
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3
Default Textures questions

Hi guys,

Newbie in need of help I have been trying to retexture a model to create a clone with different paintjob. Having some problems though, so I thought to ask you for guidance.

When I load .dds file in Gimp it looks like this:

I then make a new layer, insert and edit new textures there. When I'm ready I merge the new layer with the old one and export as .dds.

Thing is, the changed bits lack something. They are not... how to say it - "partially transparent" like the original textures (no checkerboard all over them). Upon loading in game,they have a problem with lighting: when direct sunlight is reflected by the surface it becomes almost white, looking like some extremely reflective polished metal. This would be perfect if I was making a sci-fi starfighter but looks out of place on worn-down Messerschmitt.

Obviously I am missing something, so how to do it correctly?
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-19, 12:21 PM   #2
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 0

I think you merging original and new skin with alpha channel switched to "on". Switch that off then merge, but then make new alpha channel.
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-19, 01:00 PM   #3
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Most stock SH5 models, have their specular maps stored in the alpha channel of their diffuse textures. Gimp reads alpha channels as opacity masks, which is obviously not right for our purposes.

I don't know if there is a workaround to that. Maybe switch to Paint.net when you need to deal with models that include a specular map, or if anything else fails upload here both your textures (diffuse and specular) and I will save them in a new file using photoshop
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-19, 01:13 AM   #4
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Thanks for replies guys!

I do not own Photoshop, but I seem to have the problem solved ("seem" because I didn't have time to test it beyond a quick look at the skin in game's Museum) by doing the following:

- Load original .dds file in DXTBmp
- Export alpha layer to separate file
- Import file in Gimp 2.1 and make a new skin in separate layer, then merge layers so that the new skin is on top
- Remove alpha layer from the image
- Export back to .dds
- Open again in DXTbmp and import the original alpha channel

Doing it this way, the model looked normal in game, although as I said I'll have to test it further with various models in various weather settings (different lighting).
Old 04-19-19, 08:12 AM   #5
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Thanks for replies guys!

I do not own Photoshop, but I seem to have the problem solved ("seem" because I didn't have time to test it beyond a quick look at the skin in game's Museum) by doing the following:

- Load original .dds file in DXTBmp
- Export alpha layer to separate file
- Import file in Gimp 2.1 and make a new skin in separate layer, then merge layers so that the new skin is on top
- Remove alpha layer from the image
- Export back to .dds
- Open again in DXTbmp and import the original alpha channel

Doing it this way, the model looked normal in game, although as I said I'll have to test it further with various models in various weather settings (different lighting).
I don't have those programs installed, but your method should work. Just a note: if you are changing the main texture, you might want to update its specular map (i.e. alpha channel) accordingly.
Old 04-23-19, 01:48 AM   #6
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1328
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I don't have those programs installed, but your method should work. Just a note: if you are changing the main texture, you might want to update its specular map (i.e. alpha channel) accordingly.
Hi Gap forgive me for this Off Topic, I probed send you PM . (because if I can write in Italian language it is better for me ) but your mailbox is full,
I wanted clarification on "enemy gun accuracy" you had tested this a few years ago...with Rongel,and Volodya61,
Can help me? A quali conclusioni eri giunto?
Thanks Gap
Old 04-23-19, 02:06 AM   #7
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Seems to work. tga textures that are embedded in .dat files treat alpha channel differently though, when I used above method on them result is weird noise covering half the texture. That said, these files seem to work ok when I simply remove their alpha channel and then generate new alpha channel in DXTbmp on final texture (black cockpit was also on original texture in this case):

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauangua View Post
Hi Gap forgive me for this Off Topic, I probed send you PM . (because if I can write in Italian language it is better for me ) but your mailbox is full
Yeah, so did I. I wish I could donate 80% my alotted space for PM's to Gap and vdr1981

Last edited by kapuhy; 04-27-19 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-28-19, 09:30 AM   #8
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Hi Gap forgive me for this Off Topic, I probed send you PM . (because if I can write in Italian language it is better for me ) but your mailbox is full
Quote:
Yeah, so did I. I wish I could donate 80% my alotted space for PM's to Gap and vdr1981
Sorry guys, I have just made some space in my subsim inbox, but don't rely too much on it: until I do a major cleanup or upgrade my subsim membership, my PM space will get full rather quickly, in the meanwhile maybe we could exchange our private e-mail addresses

Quote:
I wanted clarification on "enemy gun accuracy" you had tested this a few years ago...with Rongel,and Volodya61,
Can help me? A quali conclusioni eri giunto?
Thanks Gap
It has been a while since we investigated in those issues and I have only a vague memory of our conclusions, but all the relative information should be in my old Historical Gun Specs thread. Maybe we should continue this conversation there, or in private if you prefer Italian over English

Quote:
Seems to work. tga textures that are embedded in .dat files treat alpha channel differently though, when I used above method on them result is weird noise covering half the texture. That said, these files seem to work ok when I simply remove their alpha channel and then generate new alpha channel in DXTbmp on final texture (black cockpit was also on original texture in this case):

Nice work!

I never had any problem exporting dat-embedded TGA files and their alpha channels using Silent3ditor, but I am glad that you managed creating your custom skin anyway.

On a more general note, basic specular maps can be crated by desaturating diffuse maps and by adjusting their gamma as a whole, but the best results (and the most spectacular effects) can be obtained only by editing each material represented on those maps separately, and by adding to them detail that is not visible in the diffuse map.
Old 04-28-19, 10:22 AM   #9
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

It's so nice to see that you guys manage to put 3D models in the game

If only this was possible with sub types too, there is a mod that is (or was) worked-on for putting a Type IX sub in the game. The models seem to already exist, but then the project came to a stop... I hope the mod maker will read here, maybe this is a solution for him

Congrats, and my admiration to you!

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-19, 12:21 PM   #10
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Umm, in order to avoid any confusion I'd like to stress out the only 3D model I'm working on putting in game right now is the Fairmile. As for aircraft, these are models already present in TWoS and done by others - I'm just trying to reskin some of them to be able to add airforces currently nonexistant in game which were historically using the same aircraft types.
Old 04-29-19, 11:29 AM   #11
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:

If only this was possible with sub types too, there is a mod that is (or was) worked-on for putting a Type IX sub in the game. The models seem to already exist, but then the project came to a stop...
We still don't have the "Ultimate SH5 3D-Importing Full-Featured Tool", but adding new models to the game, both as dat and gr2-format object, is something that has been here for years; blame us lazy modders if we don't have many examples of new goodies added to the game.

While not the easiest task, importing small units and simple objects in SH5 is not as hard as a newcomer might think, but talking about big ships and playable subs, importing (let alone modelling) them can be a long and frustrating exercise if we want the final result to be up to par with comparable stock vessels. Mkii (the guy who was working on the Type IX U-boat for SH5), had done an excellent work, and it is a real pity that he disappeared from the modding scene before he completed (or handed-over) his work.

Quote:
I hope the mod maker will read here, maybe this is a solution for him
I used to be in touch with him, for discussing technical stuff, but he disappeared suddenly and he has not checked the forum since early 2018. Maybe Vecko knows more: I know he was closely following mkii's work...