Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM®  Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM® Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2016, 10:25 AM   #1
ikrananka
Sailor man
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 48
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!!

I have just published on YouTube the first video in my Getting Started Tutorial series of videos covering the B-17 The Mighty 8th game.



Please check it out and let me know what you think. If you appreciate the video then please "Like" it and subscribe to my channel to receive updates as I add new videos to the series over the coming weeks.

All feedback is welcome.

Thanks and Enjoy
ikrananka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #2
Dowly
.
 
Dowly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 23,834
Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0


Default

Hey ikrananka,

Very good video and sure to help a bunch of people (myself included)!

I used to play it way back when and been meaning to try it again, but have never bothered to look for all the patches and mods.

Liked and subbed!
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #3
ikrananka
Sailor man
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 48
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post

Very good video and sure to help a bunch of people (myself included)!

Liked and subbed!
Thanks - really appreciate that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post

I used to play it way back when and been meaning to try it again, but have never bothered to look for all the patches and mods.
If you buy the game from GOG or Steam it comes fully patched which is nice. I'm just uploading the second video now, which covers adjusting Joystick Sensitivity. The third video will cover where to currently find mods, which are my recommended ones, and also how to install them.
ikrananka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
ikrananka
Sailor man
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 48
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

The second video in this series is now live on YouTube. This video covers how to setup and adjust joystick sensitivity.



Enjoy
ikrananka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #5
Dowly
.
 
Dowly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 23,834
Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikrananka View Post
If you buy the game from GOG or Steam it comes fully patched which is nice. I'm just uploading the second video now, which covers adjusting Joystick Sensitivity. The third video will cover where to currently find mods, which are my recommended ones, and also how to install them.
Aye, I got the GoG version, just never tried how it runs.

B-II is a good example of a game mechanic that worked in earlier game (B-17 Flying Fortress) that has been improved.

I played B-17 I on my 486 way back, but B-17 II, I love them both, but II adds more of the human elemenent to the game, visually wounded crew etc.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:31 PM   #6
ikrananka
Sailor man
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 48
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Aye, I got the GoG version, just never tried how it runs.

B-II is a good example of a game mechanic that worked in earlier game (B-17 Flying Fortress) that has been improved.

I played B-17 I on my 486 way back, but B-17 II, I love them both, but II adds more of the human elemenent to the game, visually wounded crew etc.
I too played B-17 I back in the day but was useless at it. I just never found the time to learn it and clearly remember only getting as far as crashing my plane repeatedly during the taxi at the start of a mission. So, when I recently discovered B-17 II on GOG I was determined to learn the game well and now love it.
ikrananka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
Red October1984
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 6,879
Downloads: 107
Uploads: 0


Default

I've got TME on GoG but need to get a new joystick before I play any more of it. Looking forward to getting back into it!
__________________
Red October1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:15 AM   #8
emmetthi
Nub
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: california
Posts: 2
Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0
Default Thank You.

I was going thru some old and forgotten game software and found this game. And I remembered how good it was and decided to get it up and running again. Then I wondered if anyone was still playing. And I stumbled on your tutorials. You have giving me the desire to get going again with this great game.
I got fairly decent at it way back when. Your guides will be very helpful in becoming proficient.
Your explanations are spot on, clear and precise!
Thanks again.
emmetthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:50 AM   #9
ikrananka
Sailor man
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 48
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmetthi View Post
... I stumbled on your tutorials. You have giving me the desire to get going again with this great game.
I got fairly decent at it way back when. Your guides will be very helpful in becoming proficient.
Your explanations are spot on, clear and precise!
Thanks again.
Thank You

Good luck with getting back up to speed with the game. Let me know how you get on.
ikrananka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:29 AM   #10
Nathaniel B.
Navigator
 
Nathaniel B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 186
Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0


Default

Great ... now I'm addicted to this game. I'm even losing sleep playing it.

I've even started making my own custom nose art.

Thanks, I guess.

(At least I got it on sale for like, a buck seventy-five. )
Nathaniel B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #11
ikrananka
Sailor man
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 48
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel B. View Post
Great ... now I'm addicted to this game. I'm even losing sleep playing it.

I've even started making my own custom nose art.

Thanks, I guess.

(At least I got it on sale for like, a buck seventy-five. )
LOL - you're welcome

Just curious, with the nose art, have you figured out the masking procedure? I managed to do it a while ago with Photoshop Elements 10 but have forgotten how.

It's funny, I'm losing sleep due to the current game I'm playing. Weird how games can do that to us.
ikrananka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #12
Nathaniel B.
Navigator
 
Nathaniel B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 186
Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikrananka View Post
Just curious, with the nose art, have you figured out the masking procedure? I managed to do it a while ago with Photoshop Elements 10 but have forgotten how.
Yes. It's the same as with all other game graphics I've dealt with. I use Photoshop CS3, so there might be some UI differences.

I start by creating a background of one solid color (grey in this case - just like the original files). I then use the "Lasso" tool to select and copy just the portion of the graphic I want to use from another image and paste that onto a new layer on top of the grey background.

Once I have the graphic in the orientation/placement I want, I use the "Magic Wand" tool on that layer to select everything except the graphic and then invert the selection. This results in a selection in the shape of the graphic and is easier than using the wand tool to try and select the graphic directly because of the way the tolerance works.

Next, I click on the "Channels" tab in the "Layer" window and select the alpha channel. With the selection still active, I use the "Paint Bucket Tool" to make only the selected area white. The result is a white shape on the alpha layer in the same position and in the same shape as the graphic. This means that only the graphic will be rendered. The grey background (which is black in the alpha channel) will be transparent. As always, you can paint with various shades of grey on the alpha channel to create areas of varying transparency.

Finally, I flatten the layers and save the image. Of course, in this case, there is the additional step of adding that image back to the omf file by overwriting the original. (For that, I am using Taff in Exile's omf editor.)

The colors in this forum make it kind of hard to see links, so in case you didn't notice: the words "custom nose art" in my previous post are a link to an example I made. I think it turned out quite nice.

Anyway, I hope that helps and if anything wasn't clear or you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers!
Nathaniel B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #13
Eichhörnchen
Starte Das Auto
 
Eichhörnchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Classified
Posts: 10,946
Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmetthi View Post
I was going thru some old and forgotten game software and found this game. And I remembered how good it was and decided to get it up and running again. Then I wondered if anyone was still playing. And I stumbled on your tutorials. You have giving me the desire to get going again with this great game.
I got fairly decent at it way back when. Your guides will be very helpful in becoming proficient.
Your explanations are spot on, clear and precise!
Thanks again.
An oft-overlooked treasure this and, as someone observed earlier in this thread, it's a pity more was not done to make it even better. I also have stumbled upon this thread and must take the time to go through these tutorials carefully... accompanied by Aktung's big pot of coffee.

I recently looked into the bowels of this sim intending to disable the dreadfully intrusive turret-drive sound, which I find sooo distracting when sweating it in the upper gunner's position... but I find that there are no WAV or Config. files for the sounds here, such as you find in other sims like CFS3 or Microsoft Flight Simulator. Is there any way to get rid of this noise, ikrananka... there's nothing can be turned off in the "options" menu as I recall...?
__________________
<img src=http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=329818&dateline=1428780552 border=0 alt= />
Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666
 
Aktungbby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: where I'm at presently
Posts: 13,679
Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0


Default welcome back!

emmetthi!
Quote:
accompanied by Aktung's big pot of coffee.
HOW BIG IS BIG!?? FROM MY LONG HAUL TRUCKING DAYS: SAPP BROS TRUCKSTOP; OMAHA, NEBRASKA... The coffee pot is always on at Sapp Brothers truck stops:
__________________
"Only two things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity; And I'm not too sure about the Universe..." Philip K. Dick
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #15
HW3
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Irrigon Oregon
Posts: 5,474
Downloads: 425
Uploads: 0


Default

Wow! Just stumbled on this thread. It brought me back to the days of the v8th OPS group I was in many many years ago. I still have my disk, and many of the mods we used back then, might be time to reinstall.
__________________

Silently hunting in SH5 with TWoS mod
"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
b-17 , flying fortress , microprose , mighty 8th

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2018 Subsim