SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-07-17, 05:04 AM   #7036
Benzin1973
Engineer

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauangua View Post
Send your mod list...
oops! youre right, i should have started there.

GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects
GWX - VIIC41 Player Sub
DasBoot Music Mod
M.E.P v6
M.E.P v6- VisualSensors for GWX3
Widescreen MaGui v3.4-SA

EDIT: forgot to add
Patch V16B1 + EnvSimAct

goes last, wich is the HSIE patch + the envsim fix.

For long now I have kept it as small as possible to avoid unstability issues, and during this latest incident i tried removing all of them one by one. Untill nothing was left. No luck

Last edited by Benzin1973; 04-07-17 at 05:12 AM.
Benzin1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-17, 05:19 AM   #7037
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzin1973 View Post
oops! youre right, i should have started there.

GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects
GWX - VIIC41 Player Sub
DasBoot Music Mod
M.E.P v6
Widescreen MaGui v3.4-SA

EDIT: forgot to add
Patch V16B1 + EnvSimAct

goes last, wich is the HSIE patch + the envsim fix.

For long now I have kept it as small as possible to avoid unstability issues, and during this latest incident i tried removing all of them one by one. Untill nothing was left. No luck
you have "GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects"
and in hsie patch you have damage effect fix checked or unchecked?
and environment fix... probed uninstall this?
Old 04-07-17, 06:44 AM   #7038
Benzin1973
Engineer

Quote:
you have "GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects"
and in hsie patch you have damage effect fix checked or unchecked?
and environment fix... probed uninstall this?
Thanks for your reply.
What Damage effects in hsie option do you mean? the only option in the options selector app i see is diesel damages, is that the one you mean? if so no, i dont have it enabled.
Also, i have tried disabling every single mod one by one, until JSGME is empty. Same problem. Even after a full game + GWX install i get the same problem.

After a lot of trial and error, restarting the same patrol, and using the free camera, i managed to get a little closer to the convoy (same one allways spawns, near the gibraltar strait), and i noticed that at least two of its ships are on fire! and i mean really on fire! they are both engulfed in flames!
Needless to say i havent touched them, the weather is calm (no rough seas), and i dont see any reason why they would be so damaged. I tried several times to get closer to inspect the rest of the convoy, but the game allways crashes before i can get near.

I guess this is some sort of error in the game? maybe this is related to the problem? Why would those ships be burning up?
Old 04-07-17, 06:51 AM   #7039
Benzin1973
Engineer

Oh man...
Wanted to get some pictures of the burning ships, but Now i cant even get close again. Game crashes shortly after loading the save game i just made when i was approaching the convoy.
Old 04-07-17, 07:08 AM   #7040
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Oh man...
Wanted to get some pictures of the burning ships, but Now i cant even get close again. Game crashes shortly after loading the save game i just made when i was approaching the convoy.
have 4GB patch checked?
Old 04-07-17, 07:28 AM   #7041
Benzin1973
Engineer

Quote:
have 4GB patch checked?
Yep, i do.
Old 04-07-17, 07:59 AM   #7042
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Yep, i do.
you have new installation of GWX..right?
can send image of option selector hsie? (screenshot )
you have strange problem
you are in single mission or carrier?
if single mission... which?
start by sh3 commander or not? sh3 commander with gwx-file?
if you better explain I can probe in my PC...
ohhhh and forgot... PC specify?...

Last edited by hauangua; 04-07-17 at 09:38 AM.
hauangua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-17, 06:06 PM   #7043
Benzin1973
Engineer

Quote:
you have new installation of GWX..right?
Yes, reinstalled the game and gwx twice now.

Quote:
can send image of option selector hsie? (screenshot )
Here it is:
subir foto

Please note that i have tried it without the hsie patch, and have the same problem.

Quote:
you are in single mission or carrier?
i am in career mode.

Quote:
start by sh3 commander or not?
No commander, normal start.

PC Specs:
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i5
8GB RAM
Nvidia GTX750ti graphics - drivers up to date
Asus motherboard.

I dont understand why those ships in the convoy are on fire, maybe thats part of the problem?

Thanky you very much for your help!
Old 04-07-17, 06:15 PM   #7044
Benzin1973
Engineer

I have tried something...
- I activated my usual mod list (as shown in a past post).

- I started the patrol again (loaded the last "in base after mission" save and started new patrol)

- I got assigned the same grid, and when i was close to the area the same convoy radio report came in. (thats the convoy that has burning ships).

- This time, i ignored the report, and went the opposite way of the convoy, so i never got close to it.
This time the game has not crashed so far. I need to look for another convoy to see if the other convoys also have ships on fire, and if the game crashes when i get near to them.
Old 04-07-17, 10:33 PM   #7045
Benzin1973
Engineer

Default I give up

Managed to get almost a full patrol going without issues, then i got the report of a convoy, usual CG area near gibraltar. But this one certainly a diferent one, as it was much later, diferent direction, etc.

So i go to intercept (fearing what would happen).
share image

And sure enough. The minute i got close to it, CTD.

I give up. Ibe spent the last 24hrs trying to debug this thing instead of playing. I think Im gonna stick with NYGM for a while. Not blaming GWX, maybe its my pc, my mods (or lack of, since i tried without any) or whatnot, but the fact is i cant play.

I really appreciate you trying to help hauangua.
Old 04-07-17, 11:43 PM   #7046
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Managed to get almost a full patrol going without issues, then i got the report of a convoy, usual CG area near gibraltar. But this one certainly a diferent one, as it was much later, diferent direction, etc.

So i go to intercept (fearing what would happen).
share image

And sure enough. The minute i got close to it, CTD.

I give up. Ibe spent the last 24hrs trying to debug this thing instead of playing. I think Im gonna stick with NYGM for a while. Not blaming GWX, maybe its my pc, my mods (or lack of, since i tried without any) or whatnot, but the fact is i cant play.

I really appreciate you trying to help hauangua.
from what you write seems almost a ram problem....but with 8 gb is impossible!!!
probed run like administrator... and in compatible mod?
Old 04-08-17, 03:15 PM   #7047
olddriedseaweed
Mate

Downloads: 259

Quote:
I have allways enjoyed GWX, but the thing that allways bothered me is that (for me at least) its somehow unstable, with CTDs happening every now and then.

Recently this problem has gotten a lot worse, to the point where i can almost no longer play it.

Im currently in mid 1941, near the Gibraltar strait, and i receive a radio report of a convoy. I set course to intercept it, and the minute i get close to it, the game CTDs.

I dont have many mods, mainly Manos enviroment, HSIE patch, and MaGUI. Still i disable them one by one and try again, no luck. The game crashes predictably at the exact moment i approach the convoy.

So i delete everything, clean install of the game & GWX.
Load the save game and BAM! as soon as i approach that convoy, CTD.

Ok, maybe the save game is corrupted or something? i scrap that patrol, loaded the latest "In game after mission" save and start a new patrol.
Arround the same area as before (CG87) another report, convoy, but its not the same convoy as before, this one is going on a different direction.
Intercept course!
Can you guess what happened when i got near to it?
And same deal as before, no ammount of removing mods can fix it.
Its so consistent i can tell the EXACT time the game will CTD (00:03).

Its as if some convoy configurations are incorrect and cause the game to crash when the game spawns them in sight?

Remembering back, it seems that most my CTDs with GWX occur when convoys are nearby.

So my system is at fault maybe? video drivers, bad ram etc.?
Seems unlikely to me, since i also run another installation of SH3 in paralel, that one with NYGM-2017A, HSIE patches, MaGUI, MEPv6, and i have never had one single CTD. Not one. The game is flawless.

Its so frustrating, i really like GWX, but this constant crashing makes it just impossible for me to enjoy it.

Could it be an error in a convoy definition? maybe game is trying to load a ship that doesnt have textures for it or something?
It seems obvious to me that the problem happens when certain convoys are arround.
Any ideas of what i could do to fix this problem???

thanks
I myself have not experienced these issues with GWX. I did experience them with LSH and resolved them with a hardware upgrade. It looks as though your mods list has been cleared as compatible - so I'll ask what your computer build is:
CPU
Graphics chip and memory size
Main Memory
Hard drive
As we extend the mods of SH3, we have also extended the resources used.
so here is my suggestion:
In addition of wanting to know your computer build, I'd ask for two things -
Run the game as configured and enable ctrl + F8 and get your frame rate as you approach the convoy.
Run your NYGM to a convoy and check your frame rate
One last note: While it may be that your hardware is healthy enough to run the game as configured, could it be that you have components failing?

EDIT: I saw your PC spec in a post. How much memory on the GTX750ti? DDR3 or DDR5?
Hard drive is ???
Something else that MAY help: Give your computer an enema. I recommend Crap Cleaner and or Glary utilities, both of which can be had free. After that, if you have a mechanical hard drive defrag it. If you have an SSD, trim it.

Last edited by olddriedseaweed; 04-08-17 at 03:25 PM. Reason: overlooked information and corrected spelling
olddriedseaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-17, 03:32 AM   #7048
Benzin1973
Engineer

Quote:
from what you write seems almost a ram problem....but with 8 gb is impossible!!!
probed run like administrator... and in compatible mod?
I too dont think its a RAM problem. On this PC i run Doom (2016 version not the old ones), XCOM2, and other demanding games, they run without issue.
Even SH3 with NYGM runs perfectly.

I will continue to try to get GWX to work, but i need to take a few days off. Ill play some NYGM for a while, then ill get back to try to get GWX to work.

I really appreciate your help!
Old 04-09-17, 03:46 AM   #7049
Benzin1973
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddriedseaweed View Post
I myself have not experienced these issues with GWX. I did experience them with LSH and resolved them with a hardware upgrade. It looks as though your mods list has been cleared as compatible - so I'll ask what your computer build is:
CPU
Graphics chip and memory size
Main Memory
Hard drive
As we extend the mods of SH3, we have also extended the resources used.
so here is my suggestion:
In addition of wanting to know your computer build, I'd ask for two things -
Run the game as configured and enable ctrl + F8 and get your frame rate as you approach the convoy.
Run your NYGM to a convoy and check your frame rate
One last note: While it may be that your hardware is healthy enough to run the game as configured, could it be that you have components failing?

EDIT: I saw your PC spec in a post. How much memory on the GTX750ti? DDR3 or DDR5?
Hard drive is ???
Something else that MAY help: Give your computer an enema. I recommend Crap Cleaner and or Glary utilities, both of which can be had free. After that, if you have a mechanical hard drive defrag it. If you have an SSD, trim it.
Hi, thanks for your help!
My GTX750ti has 2GB of DDR5 RAM (its gigabyte brand), HD is 1TB Maxtor, mechanical (non SSD).
As for running into convoys on NYGM, i played for several hours last night, attacked 3 convoys without issue (other than getting depthcharged for hours lol), and one of them was quite large, no CTDs, slowdowns, no issues at all.

Only issue i ever had with NYGM, was a few days ago when i tried to use the "wolfpack" feature i got a strange CTD, but i tried it last night and worked without issue.

Now that you mention LSH3, i too recall having some issues with it, but then again i only played it for a little while (too easy for my taste, too slow to load) but i do recall a couple of CTDs there.

As for giving my PC an enema, i will just to be safe, but i usually do it once a month (i use ccleaner), my disk is 0% fragmented according to windows.

I just can firgure out. I am "computer saavy" myself (i work in IT), and i just cant put my finger on it. PC has zero issues outside sh3+GWX, even far more demanding games (xcom2, doom 2016, stellaris, etc) work flawlessly, Visual Studio 2015 runs perfectly, etc. Heck, sh3 works flawlessly! just not with gwx
But then again, tons of people play with GWX without too many problems. Im starting to think that my save files on my campaign are somehow corrupted maybe?
I did try to start new patrols several times, instead of starting on on-sea saved games, but maybe somehow the whole campaign saves are corrupted somehow?

I appreciate you help, will try to solve this issue later, but for now, im gonna play some more with nygm.
thanks!
Old 04-10-17, 08:29 PM   #7050
Benzin1973
Engineer

Default Different flotilla, problem gone!

Decided to try again to get GWX going without crashes.
Since i concluded that it wasnt a mod compatibility issue, i decided to load up my old mod list, with xtra stuff. So i reinstalled SH3 and GWX (again), and activated the following modlist:

GWX - Lite Harbor Traffic
GWX - VIIC41 Player Sub
GWX Minor Tweaks V1.0*
M.E.P v6
Rubini´s Underwater dust&plancton v1_no blur
DasBoot Music Mod
Widescreen MaGui v3.4-SA
WideScreen MaGui v3.4-SA FIX for GWX v3
MaGUI Tweaks V1.1 ***
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
Rbs1_SH4_Effects_GWX_30_71
damage texture 1.0**

So i loaded my last "in base before mission" save (same one as before), and sure enough, got the same convoy report, near Gibraltar, and as soon as i approached, CTD.

I then loaded the same save again, but this time i changed flotillas from the 2nd, to the 1st. And i changed my flak gun about 50 times just to advance time. I moved forward by about 4 months, to late 1941.
This time i completed 3 patrols, intercepted 3 different convoys (several attacks to each one), one of them near Gibraltar, with zero CTDs!

Here is the intercept on the convoy near Gibraltar (note the grid, its almost the same one as before) but this time in late 1941 and from 1st flotilla, This time the ships were not on fire as i arrived, and the game dint CTD later when i approached and engaged them.

Just to be sure it wasnt a mod problem, i deactivated my mods, and loaded up the exact same list i posted a few posts back, 1 more patrol with convoy interceptions without issues. So i reactivated my latest list (the one in this post)

It does seem to me, that there is something in the convoy(s?) arround gibraltar in mid 1940 that caused my game to CTD. And that something dissapears later in the game. Because each and every time i approached those convoys game would CTD, but now i have approached many without issue.
And besides, if there is no error on those convoys, why were its ships on fire?

In any case, im happy to report that GWX is running fine again. Im now alternating between GWX and NYGM one patrol each (i have different installations and "SH3" save folders of course), and having a blast again.
Thanks to everyone for your help!

* GWX Minor Tweaks V1.0 is a very simple mod i made for GWX that:
1.- Restores the game's music (or in my case the dasboot music).

2.- Gets rid of the super annoying "beep! beep! beep! beep!"x100 every time i get a radio message, and just has the radioman saying "New radio message sir". (all the beeping felt like i had the roadrunner running arround on my uboat! lol)

3.- Restores the renown awarded for reaching and completing your patrol objectives.

4.- Restores the days in base to 31 instead of GWXs 20.

** Damage texture 1.0 is just 2 .tga files that replace the damage visuals on ships (deckgun & torpedo impacts). I dont like the default ones, that instead of holes, look like someone put out a cigarette on the ship.

*** MaGui tweaks Just replaces the map tools with larger ones, and a couple of cosmetic details to magui ui.

Last edited by Benzin1973; 04-10-17 at 10:06 PM. Reason: just adding some info