SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-27-17, 04:34 PM   #16
stormrider_sp
Planesman

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0

Nothing new. As far as I remember, this engine has been available since at least 2016.
Old 11-27-17, 07:44 PM   #17
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

A guy on Facebook said he saw an early build of this at a trade show in 2011. If so, they must've been working on this for quite some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrider_sp View Post
Nothing new. As far as I remember, this engine has been available since at least 2016.
I remember a Sonalysts guy posted on this forum a few years ago and said they had something in the works but couldn't comment further. I guess this is what he was referring to.

Last edited by Kaye T. Bai; 11-28-17 at 09:40 PM.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-17, 10:11 AM   #18
Overkill
Frogman

Downloads: 128

Looks like it'll be purty good when/if they decide to release it.
Old 11-28-17, 04:19 PM   #19
Ghost Dog
Planesman

Downloads: 114

I really hope the new game has dynamic campaign. (or least dynamic/random encounters) Sub games have had this for a long time, going back to Silent Service in the 80s all way up to Cold Waters.

I fear that this will just be an update to Dangerous Waters with slightly better graphics and more platforms. (which get added with mods anyways)

free image host
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-17, 09:45 PM   #20
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
I really hope the new game has dynamic campaign. (or least dynamic/random encounters) Sub games have had this for a long time, going back to Silent Service in the 80s all way up to Cold Waters. I fear that this will just be an update to Dangerous Waters with slightly better graphics and more platforms. (which get added with mods anyways)
Seeing those new models sure was nice, especially considering a lot of the models from Dangerous Waters were used before in Fleet Command, a game originally from 1998!

The new Arleigh Burke DDG model looks especially nice; the one from DW was atrocious and looked more like a JMSDF Kongo-class destroyer.

Last edited by Kaye T. Bai; 11-29-17 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-29-17, 12:16 AM   #21
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

Do not know if this video linked below is known to anyone here but IMHO it gives some wider background picture and mixture of various areas of naval simulations/training videos which Sonalysts has been creatively involved in as of late. Including music ...wow!

I must admit that after quite a few years of well-maintained radio silence from Sonalysts those most recent glimpses/previews/presentations are still shrouded in sort of enigmatic veil as much as they are intriguing.

One rather very positive motif presents itself that because of their involvement with RL naval topics we should expect (I think/I hope) realism and serious knowledge of the subject matter.

And that is a good thing....
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-17, 01:04 AM   #22
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Nice catch! I hope any new game incorporates some form of crew interaction. But man, would it kill Sonalysts to apply some normal mapping to their models? That glossy, artificial shinyness is a bit jarring. Anyway, nice vid.

Last edited by Kaye T. Bai; 11-29-17 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-29-17, 05:46 AM   #23
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

Quote:
would it kill Sonalysts to apply some normal mapping to their models? That glossy, artificial shininess is a bit jarring.
Graphics were never the forte or perhaps something Sonalysts would pay extra attention or resources to. Especially and understandably for the work used for training purposes.
As long as there is more simple and open way to improve graphics by modders that should be good enough. Then all is needed is time and will to make it better.

Last edited by Polak2; 11-29-17 at 07:02 AM.
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 02:24 PM   #24
SirKerrald
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

On the plus side, destroyer design finally caught up with programmer art.
SirKerrald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 10:43 AM   #25
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Videos from Sonalysts posted a few hours ago!

Ticonderoga engaging surface craft with Harpoon:
https://www.facebook.com/sonalystsco...8692333336463/

Su-27s getting shot down by SAM:
https://www.facebook.com/sonalystsco...8691376669892/

Virginia on the (nail-biting close) stalk:
https://www.facebook.com/sonalystsco...8636860008677/

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 01:13 PM   #26
GravityWave
Mate

Downloads: 25

I would also really like to see an update that at least addresses the graphics 4:3 scaling - maybe open source (Vulcan or OpenGL). The mechanics seem to be already there. I'm coming back to DW waiting to see how CW evolves some more. CW's got the graphics and AI but is a different style. It's more game than simulator. With that said, CW is a lot of fun. DW is more challenging and deeper. Just ugly as sin these days. I'd be thrilled just to see a cosmetic update. I'm a customer for an upgrade. The Sonanalyst web site suggests more of a space simulator under development, though still involved with USN on interfaces.
GravityWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 08:51 PM   #27
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityWave View Post
I would also really like to see an update that at least addresses the graphics 4:3 scaling - maybe open source (Vulcan or OpenGL). The mechanics seem to be already there. I'm coming back to DW waiting to see how CW evolves some more. CW's got the graphics and AI but is a different style. It's more game than simulator. With that said, CW is a lot of fun. DW is more challenging and deeper. Just ugly as sin these days. I'd be thrilled just to see a cosmetic update. I'm a customer for an upgrade. The Sonanalyst web site suggests more of a space simulator under development, though still involved with USN on interfaces.
Something you could try with DW and SC is to crank up your screen resolution.

In some (most?) modern OS you can't change the display settings in-game BUT you can change them if you edit your dangerouswaters.ini file.

Go to your dangerouswaters.ini file and find the .ModeID entry under [GRAPHICS].
The default setting is 1 (800 X 600). Change the 1 to a 2 for 1024 X 768 or change the 1 to a 3 for 1280 X 1024.
You can do the same thing with Sub Command by editing its .ini file.

We're still stuck with the 4:3 aspect ratio but the higher settings (especially 1280 X 1024) look "good enough" on a large monitor.

In terms of graphics engines, I think we need to be careful what we wish for.
Sonalyst could pull a "Sorry, the new game ONLY runs in Win10, 64 bit" and that might alienate a lot of gamers who prefer an older OS.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 11:37 PM   #28
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Another video! Some shots of an Ohio SSGN, Burke DDG, LCS, San Antonio LPD, and a P-8 Poseidon.

Apparently it's just a test bed/tech demo for now, but they did not rule out the possibility of a game based on said engine in the future so it's not a definitive no. Keep hope alive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
Sweet Jesus in heaven! Turns out God exists and he is real after all! Praise be to Allah (and Sonalysts)!

Last edited by Kaye T. Bai; 12-04-17 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-04-17, 12:15 AM   #29
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post

Virginia on the (nail-biting close) stalk:
https://www.facebook.com/sonalystsco...8636860008677/
So, has anyone else tried to figure out what we're seeing (besides the obvious 3D view)?

It looks like six or so "station" views across the top of the screen and something like eight game options along the side.

The two "satellite" buttons look interesting.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-17, 08:19 AM   #30
Pirate
Lieutenant

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityWave View Post
The bigger issue is the 16bit one that requires wrappers just to make the game run on newer OSs.
Anyway the 4:3 thing is not just making the engine technically run in the 16:9 aspect ratio, it's also needed to rework the background image bmps and reposition the interactive objects on each station screen cause now everything is done based on a 800x600 matrix.

Currently modders can edit the bmps contained in the grp files and moving position of the interactive objects requires hexediting the dlls which is a pain in the ***, to say the least, but it's possible.