SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-16-14, 03:27 AM   #31
fastbikkel
Mate

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Hey Pisces,

I run the game at 1280x1024 as far as i can remember, i use an old style 19" screen, not a wide screen model so to speak.
It hangs during a mission, at random moments. I have not noticed a crash in the game opening menu.

What happens is that the pc freezes suddenly, the screen is full of little white blocks. I have to reboot, taskmanager does not respond any more.

It sure looks like a video issue. Why it suddenly appeared remains a mystery, i had not changed anything on the pc before it started happening. At least, no changes that i am aware of. I am the only user of the pc.

I will look at those settings in the INI file, maybe that can help me.

The game has shown flickering screens during start up for years, but that never seemed to be a problem. Once the mission started, that was all gone.
It ran like a charm, 1.08 edition with SCX installed.
Old 04-16-14, 03:04 PM   #32
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Another cause for that might be the use of multiple cpu cores. SC (and DW iirc) do not work well with multiple cores. In taskmanager select the SC task, and right click and choose "affinity". Then in that window select only 1 core, uncheck all the remaining cores in your cpu. Maybe that is the culprit. (boosdoener )
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 03:15 AM   #33
fastbikkel
Mate

We hate "boosdoeners" alright :-)

I will take a look a it, thanks for the suggestion again.

I checked my INI file yesterday and noticed i had the exact same settings as you. I did edit a few of the things to see if there was a change, but no.

I also excluded the whole "subcommand" directory from the virusscanner, no result.

I mingled around with my Nvidia driver suite as well, checked/unchecked a load of settings, no result.

The story continues...

(edit : i have a bad habit of starting each and every damn line with "I".)
Old 04-17-14, 05:28 PM   #34
Pisces
Silent Hunter

I just found a page that explains how you can start a program with affinity assigned to a specific core, through a command line. So if this is entered into a .bat file or shortcut then it would be easily executed (from desktop or something) and not require manual assigned affinity through taskmanager.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...formance-edge/

[EDIT] T̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶d̶e̶a̶d̶, but I found the important part again: (quoted in the spoiler)

From a shortcut

Now if you find that running an application on a specific CPU core works well, you might want to use it again in the future. If so, chances are that you won't want to have to go through the Task Manager each time. Fortunately you can create a shortcut to launch an application with a specific affinity setting.

For example, to launch Disk Defragmenter so that it runs only on CPU 0, you would create a shortcut with the following command line:
Quote:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 dfrgui.exe
To launch Disk Defragmenter on CPU 1, you would create a shortcut with the following command line:

Quote:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 2 dfrgui.exe
The number that follows the start /affinity command is called the affinity mask and is defined as a hexadecimal number. However, the CPU core number can be calculated more easily using binary numbers. For instance, the command
Quote:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 3 dfrgui.exe
will launch Disk Defragmenter on both CPU 0 and CPU 1. If you convert 3 into a binary number you will get 0011. Under the affinity mask system, processors are numbered from the right to left beginning with 0 and since there are 1's in the first two places, this indicates CPU 0 and CPU 1.

Suppose you have a Quad core processor. If so and you use an affinity mask of 4, that will convert into binary 0100, which indicates CPU 2. If you use an affinity mask of 9, that will convert into binary 1001, which indicates CPU 0 and CPU 3.

For more information on the start /affinity command, open a Command Prompt window and type the command
start /?

Last edited by Pisces; 12-12-15 at 06:16 AM. Reason: added spoiler with content because of (not anymore) dead link
Old 04-18-14, 06:12 AM   #35
fastbikkel
Mate

Hey Pisces,

yesterday i tried the affinity thing, selected 1 core but SC still crashed on all 3 attempts.

I will take a look at your new suggestion tonight.

It makes me sad for sure, i want to play again :-) i had made some serious missions.

One interesting detail though.. it now crashes on a somewhat normal way, writing logs into the eventviewer.

It mentions a memory adress and a code. Looking up those codes on internet (microsoft support) gave mixed results.
Turns out the code is not a particular thing, MS office can give the same error.

I am thinking it could even be a hardware problem in my memory modules because it suddenly appeared. Hardware problem is not a big chance, i will aim at a software solution for now still.

Now since 2 days ago my windows also crashes on rightclicking anything in windows explorer, so maybe my whole windows is just ****ed up.

Problems seem to come in groups lol

Could do a complete reinstall of windows as well, i am that desperate.
Old 04-18-14, 07:02 AM   #36
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Ok, if the rest of your OS seems unstable then I would first sort that out.

Hardware problems can always occur. It's not really the time of year yet, but temperature issues with cooling can also cause these kind of occurrences. Make sure your fans are clean and air flow is good inside the case and near the CPU and GPU.

Memory errors are easily tested with a iso image of http://www.memtest.org/ burned to cdrom.
Old 04-30-14, 03:46 AM   #37
fastbikkel
Mate

I will get back into SC one day. For now i have aimed my passion at SH4.

I am starting to like it, even though it is completely different. There is more to do in SH4.