SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-07-13, 02:24 PM   #76
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

I just played some hours with Tycho's grid scheme and it worked perfectly

One big reason I would like to see you make this a mod of your own, Tycho, is the fact that my mod is oriented towards players who are learning to play with manual targeting and no map updates or even one's own U-boat in the Navigation map. I bet there are many people though who play with automatic targeting who would still love to have the 4-grid system working easily in their game. If you release this in my mod many people will never find it.

However, if you do release it by your own name I would then love to have the right to add it into Charts addon as well, (all due credit in the documents given to you of course)
sublynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 03:24 PM   #77
sckallst
Bosun

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Sublynx,

I don't know if there is anything written up anywhere on using the back of the attack disc as a more general slide rule. If I get some time to do it up right, maybe I can write up a post with screen grabs.
sckallst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 11:33 PM   #78
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by sckallst View Post
Sublynx,

I don't know if there is anything written up anywhere on using the back of the attack disc as a more general slide rule. If I get some time to do it up right, maybe I can write up a post with screen grabs.
I hope you get the time. It would add to the historical feel to be able to use a slide rule. I also think that a slide rule like this:

http://kriegsmarine.biz/gallery.html...ide-rule-54008

could be modded into the game, but I don't know enough of the menu commands to do it myself.
Old 09-26-13, 11:39 AM   #79
sublynx
Sea Lord

I have now added Tycho's excellent grid scheme to Charts addon and have made some more maneuvering board instructions. I have also made recognition charts for NYGM 3.6A and IABLShipsforNYGM_New. A big thanks to Tycho

This is an example of the recognition charts:

The recognition charts are arranged according to the principles shown in Dr. Erich Gröner's Die Handelsflotten der Welt from 1941:

http://www.uboatarchive.net/KTBNotesGroener.htm

You can download the latest beta version from here:

http://www.2shared.com/file/8UyBIHZx..._beta_141.html

This version is probably the final version of Charts addon, but the beta is without documentation. One might be able to install it through JSGME. If not you need to do some WinMerge/H.sie renumbering tool editing.

I try to get to the documenting / finishing part at some time when I feel particularly patient
Old 09-29-13, 03:30 AM   #80
Tycho
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 264
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
I hope you get the time. It would add to the historical feel to be able to use a slide rule. I also think that a slide rule like this:

http://kriegsmarine.biz/gallery.html...ide-rule-54008

could be modded into the game, but I don't know enough of the menu commands to do it myself.
In home, i have one mathematics slide rule, and one aviation slide rule. The aviation slide rule, except specifically aviation things, have many of function that are in the mathematics slide rule. I used it for many years in game like IL-2 Sturmovik and Lock-On.
Now i use it successfully in SH3. Multiplication, division, fractions, square root, trigonometry, speed, time and distance, kilometers - nautical miles, and more....
The best way is to use it in your hands. Find and buy one, and see how much fun is.
Another way is to install one on phone or tablet, I've seen some for android.
Old 09-30-13, 02:12 AM   #81
sublynx
Sea Lord

First post edited. Version 1.4. can now be downloaded from here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3675

The download version in Subsim has no relevant differences to the Beta version that could be downloaded from the link a few posts earlier
Old 10-03-13, 05:26 AM   #82
sublynx
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sckallst View Post
Sublynx,

Here's a screenshot:

If someone wants to have the tga, it's here:
http://www.2shared.com/file/dEn2vjQu/sliderule.html

If I get around to modifying Charts addon further, I will put this tga on the new version as well.
Old 10-24-13, 08:28 AM   #83
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Have a question to enable this mod. My mod soup ends with h.sie and stiebler add-ons/mods. The latter has a menu_1024_768.ini that overwrites the one present on Charts addon 1.4 NYGM_IABLnew.
To have access to the various charts, I should first backup the 1024_768.ini file of stieblers mod, then add the charts information to that file so when enabling it as the last mod, the charts will appear available in game. And delete the menu_1204 ini file from Charts addon 1.4 NYGM_IABLnew folder, right? Or my line of thought is wrong?
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-13, 09:44 AM   #84
sublynx
Sea Lord

You got it right Rhodes. That's how you should do it. (Technically deleting the menu file from charts addon is not absolutely necessary as your newer modified menu file will overwrite it, but deleting it will save a little disc space.)

Stiebler's mod only needs to change the menu_1024_768.ini because of the Stealthmeter. If you don't need the Stealthmeter, you can ignore the menu problems.

If you use Magui F you could try the Charts mod with JSGME and then decide if you want to start editing the files. It's big job.

Last edited by sublynx; 10-24-13 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-24-13, 11:13 AM   #85
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Sorry, did not understand. I have MaGui F and I also enable the charts mod by jsgme, but it did not work. The charts were not available in game for me to use. So I thought that my problem was do to stieblers mod having a menu_1024. Or I enable the mod wrong.
My mod list:
SH-5 Water for SH-3 20 Km V84
SH-5 Water for SH-3 Bigger Sun v1
GWX - Captain America's Officer Icons
GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects
GWX - No Medals on Crew
Conus' Historically Accurate U-boat Emblems 1.2
Lutzow's Officers - SET6
LifeBoats&Debris_v4
BritishAsdicMkIFinal
GWX_DFa-Flag&Pens_2010
FM30_UpDown_final
Waterstream+Exhaust Combi V2.3 for GWX3
Torpedo damage Final ver2.0
Wooden_Lifeboats_Mod_1.1
DasBootSehrohr
Real Depth Charge
Q Ship mod GWX3.0
OLC's Modified Searchlight Beams for GWX3
New Uboat Guns 1.2
Damage_caused_by_fires_TheDarkWraith_v1_2
Foam
WB's Decks Awash
DD_OH_V3.09_20091209162038
DD_OH_V3.09_Fix_for_Anvart_FM30_UpDown
DD_OH_V3.09_ConningDeckCam_Fix_20091210230737
Conning Tower open Hatch TestFMfood
MaGui F
optional-ALTERNATIVE SCOPES with speedlines stopwatch for MaGui F
TorpedoSolutionButton for MaGui F (NYGM-GWX-WAC)
CT_FM_NI_Fix_for_MaGui F
O2-Gauges
Type VII salvo selector
Aces' Super Turms v6 for GWX
Sh3_volumetric_clouds&fog_V1
Aces' Super Turms v6 Damo's Type 7 Atmospheric Interior lighting add-on
Aces' Super Turms v7 Taster
Charts addon 1.4 NYGM_IABLnew
Optional - Charts Addon 1.4 GWX_MFM ships
Evan82's Uniforms II
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
Stiebler4B_Addon_for_V16B1
Old 10-24-13, 01:43 PM   #86
sublynx
Sea Lord

The charts were not available, even though you tried it with JSGME

What kind of warnings does JSGME give when you try to install Charts?

Does Charts load if you don't load Stiebler's 4B mod?

Did the game load normally, but you didn't see any changes? Or did you get an error message of the type "0xf36000012 not found" (or a hexadecimal number like that)?
Old 10-24-13, 04:53 PM   #87
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Whe instaling the charts I get that the menu_1024.ini file was already modified by MaGui F, Torpedo solution button for Magui F and 2 warnings that dials.tga was already change by 2 mods also.

Yes, with out stiebler mod, I have all the charts.

Yes, the game loads fine and enters on campaign, I only do not have all the charts. But I have the new background image of orders menu - F8 key.
Old 10-25-13, 07:20 AM   #88
sublynx
Sea Lord

No warning messages of a hexadecimal number not found and F8 modified ok...

It's a problem of finding the tga's then.

It could be a problem with the location of the tga's. Are you sure that

1. after installing Stiebler's mod the tga's are still in the data/menu/gui/layout folder?
2. the modified menu file still has the tga's mentioned?
3. the menu file correctly renumbered?
Old 10-25-13, 08:28 AM   #89
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

I think there is a communication fault in my end. I didn't modified (add information manually) yet the menu_1024 file. I only enable then by jsgme (as all of my mods) and then run the game to see. With stiebler mod, the charts are not avaliable.
So: first I have to edit the menu.ini file on stiebler mod and add the new information about the dials and then use h.sie program to re-number, yes? Second, after that, when enabling this mod, the dials will be available, if every thing is right.
About your questions, I only can answer the 1º and is yes, the tga files are in the folder.

Edit: well, I edit the menu file, add the new information, downloaded the renumbering prog, but after I run the program, I can not find the modifed file on C:\. When I run the program, I select the ini file, give the information to renumber G28 I1 and I have a message box saying that "java.io.FileNotFoundException C:\menu_1024_768.ini. I click OK, then another message box saying that the file was written to C:\menu_1024_768.ini but there is no file on the root!

Last edited by Rhodes; 10-25-13 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-25-13, 10:02 AM   #90
sublynx
Sea Lord

Oh sorry about the misunderstanding (my concentration while reading is somewhat distracted by a toddler just learning to walk and a 3-year old demanding lots of attention ).

When you run the the renumbering tool you need to first select the menu file you just edited manually.

Here's the steps:

1. Edit the menu file
2. Make a folder c:\menufile
3. cut the edited file into c:\menufile
4. Run H.sie's renumbering tool
5. In the tool select c:\menufile\menu_1024_768.ini
6. Renumber the part(s) needed
7. Go to c:\ to see if there is a c:\menu_1024_768.ini file
8. Cut c:\menu_1024_768.ini into Stiebler's mod
9. Enable Stiebler's mod with JSGME

(If you can't get H.sie's renumbering tool to work you could change the whole approach. Instead of modifying Stiebler's menu file you could try installing Stieber first and then modify the menu file in Charts addon. Add Stiebler's Stealthmeter to Charts addon's menu file - that is just a small change to the file and doing it in this order might make a renumbering by hand easier. Then you would install Charts addon with JSGME, Stiebler first, Charts after that.)

I hope this helps - it sure ain't easy for me trying to be clear on these technical things