SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-15-16, 05:28 PM   #196
andy_311
The Old Man

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0

Something I would like to say to you guys I played FORTS v1.3 since it came out my version was heavily modded with actual ww2 events showing up in the campaign.However few days ago my pc went ape so I had to d/load Forts again and reinstall it,now I don't know it you are aware of it but there were 3 ships scripted in the campaign from 42-43 and made the mod crash now I ran a validation program of sh4 and the culprits were
PL Contre Verde in the Jap Troop convoys 42a,42b,43a,43b (old liner)
the Destroyer Yugumo in Jap TaskForce .mis 42a,42b,43a,43b,
and last the Carrier Shinago in the Jap TaskForce.mis 43a,42b,43a,43b I had to change (substitute) these ships in them files from stopping the mod from crashing. Just thought I let you know guys.
Old 06-15-16, 06:34 PM   #197
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_311 View Post
Something I would like to say to you guys I played FORTS v1.3 since it came out my version was heavily modded with actual ww2 events showing up in the campaign.However few days ago my pc went ape so I had to d/load Forts again and reinstall it,now I don't know it you are aware of it but there were 3 ships scripted in the campaign from 42-43 and made the mod crash now I ran a validation program of sh4 and the culprits were
PL Contre Verde in the Jap Troop convoys 42a,42b,43a,43b (old liner)
the Destroyer Yugumo in Jap TaskForce .mis 42a,42b,43a,43b,
and last the Carrier Shinago in the Jap TaskForce.mis 43a,42b,43a,43b I had to change (substitute) these ships in them files from stopping the mod from crashing. Just thought I let you know guys.

Thanks for letting us know, Andy.

I think there might be some other problems lurking in the '44 campaign files because I've experienced some difficulties also causing CTDs.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-16, 06:59 PM   #198
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Thought I'd share some images of what I've been doing toward an Optical Correction for FOTRS Ultimate. I'll start by comparing the two different Attack Periscope stations. First FOTRS:

Then the Optical Correction version:

This is the low zoom (1.5x) setting, with a target ship positioned at 1000 yards from the sub. As I like to do, I've made the actual lens size larger to simulate the idea that your eye is VERY close to the lens. This doesn't make the ship larger to scale, the correction of the Field of View does that. The FoV is now correct, reading 16 degrees from center to outer edge....meaning the scopes FoV will accurately read 32 degrees wide with objects set at 1000 yards distance. The FOTRS scope reads about 34 degrees wide (notice more of the second ship showing in its image), it's not authentic to what the American Periscopes FoV should read.

You'll notice I put a center Rosette in the Compass Dial to help figure a new coarse bearing when changing direction. Some other minor refinements to the Dials as well (like centering the Compass Dial to the gauge housing). Since I'm familiar to these dials (I put them together from my old friend Jimimadrid's for an early RFB version), I shouldn't think anyone from FOTRS will mind.

Here's a high zoom, 6x magnification from FOTRS:

Optical Correction's:

At this magnification, the authentic FoV should cover 8 degrees from left to right. Mine does, so using the Telemeter Divisions for figuring height/width will be accurate now.

Once the scopes are corrected, the remainder of the optical views can now be adjusted as well. The following Bridge View of the FOTRS mod is shown:

This is the Optical Correction's Bridge View:

Pretty much the same, except the OC's view has the target ship a bit smaller than the FOTRS view. These outside views are important to give a "Naked Eye" look to the world around. Because an object seen with the naked eye should be 2.5 times smaller than an object viewed at a 1.5x magnification.....this is what you get with an outdoor view.

Using FOTRS Binocular View:

Here's an authentic 7x magnification for the Binoculars from Optical Correction:

I don't know what the stock game was thinking when they threw together the Binocular settings. Sure isn't 7x magnification! You'll also notice I put back the red rectile in the center of the view. How does one expect to mark a survivor, or any other object if its removed?

This is a Antiaircraft Gun View of FOTRS:

Here's Optical Corrections:

I couldn't help to notice the 3D model of the 20MM has the camera set WAY too close in its .dat file. I corrected it, as well as keeping the view at the correct scale compared to other views.

I think I'll stop for now. Later I'll show you what other corrections I've done to FOTRS regarding optical views.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-16, 08:09 PM   #199
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Nice job, Capn. Looking good.

Old 06-15-16, 08:26 PM   #200
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It's flying fast 'roun' here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Okay folks, here's how to get a text file of the contents of a directory...
I've been trying to get me a "customized" directory listing, ala:

That's a cropped screen shot in Windows XP, SP2 (so I can use my ATI AIW vid card). You can't get the same fields in Win7, which is a bit disappointing. I've been messing with using Powershell, trying to run windows scripts that recursively get the data for export to Excel, but alas, I'm a rust-bucket of a programmer/scripter anymore, way out of practice, and none of the old ways work in the "modern" OS. Too much security I can't figure out how to crack it anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I'm more inclined to suspect that the difference is not in which "Leader Entry" you've chosen in this particular parameter ... my "Group Properties" page doesn't list a Leader at all ... Emulate, EMULATE the stock game!
I've set my convoy spacing at times up to 1000 apart, and they'll still "wander" around in some scenarios. I agree that it seems to be best to do what you say last there - "emulate"...

Quote:
Thought I'd share some images of what I've been doing toward an Optical Correction for FOTRS Ultimate.
These are the kinds of things that I usually do not notice, until it's pointed out. This is why it's good to have multiple sets of "eyes" looking at things...

... And thanks to andy_311 for pointing those problem ships out.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-16, 07:29 AM   #201
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Propbeanie, you're working on the sounds aren't you?

I couldn't help to notice when using the Museum, the sounds of the BB's and CV's (for all sides since they use the same .wav files) are loud (maybe too loud) compared to the CA's, CL's, and most merchants (way too low in volume). The DD's are slightly better, but still seems too low in volume. I use a free download called "Gold Wave" for sounds (maybe you've got a favorite). I'm sure the issue is a simple one (I've fixed this kind of stuff before), just wanted you to see what you can do.

Just thought of something, when I finish my Optical Corrections for FOTRS Ultimate the ability to have a free camera in the Museum will be available. Should help in hearing the difference of the units engine sounds.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 06-16-16, 08:36 AM   #202
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157

Andy_311, thanks for your help!

CapnScurvy, these screenshots speak for themselves! Specially the periscope and the 20mm views are just... great!

Regards,
Billy.
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-16, 09:19 AM   #203
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Thought I'd share some images of what I've been doing toward an Optical Correction for FOTRS Ultimate. I'll start by comparing the two different Attack Periscope stations. First FOTRS:

Then the Optical Correction version:

This is the low zoom (1.5x) setting, with a target ship positioned at 1000 yards from the sub. As I like to do, I've made the actual lens size larger to simulate the idea that your eye is VERY close to the lens. This doesn't make the ship larger to scale, the correction of the Field of View does that. The FoV is now correct, reading 16 degrees from center to outer edge....meaning the scopes FoV will accurately read 32 degrees wide with objects set at 1000 yards distance. The FOTRS scope reads about 34 degrees wide (notice more of the second ship showing in its image), it's not authentic to what the American Periscopes FoV should read.

You'll notice I put a center Rosette in the Compass Dial to help figure a new coarse bearing when changing direction. Some other minor refinements to the Dials as well (like centering the Compass Dial to the gauge housing). Since I'm familiar to these dials (I put them together from my old friend Jimimadrid's for an early RFB version), I shouldn't think anyone from FOTRS will mind.

Here's a high zoom, 6x magnification from FOTRS:

Optical Correction's:

At this magnification, the authentic FoV should cover 8 degrees from left to right. Mine does, so using the Telemeter Divisions for figuring height/width will be accurate now.

Once the scopes are corrected, the remainder of the optical views can now be adjusted as well. The following Bridge View of the FOTRS mod is shown:

This is the Optical Correction's Bridge View:

Pretty much the same, except the OC's view has the target ship a bit smaller than the FOTRS view. These outside views are important to give a "Naked Eye" look to the world around. Because an object seen with the naked eye should be 2.5 times smaller than an object viewed at a 1.5x magnification.....this is what you get with an outdoor view.

Using FOTRS Binocular View:

Here's an authentic 7x magnification for the Binoculars from Optical Correction:

I don't know what the stock game was thinking when they threw together the Binocular settings. Sure isn't 7x magnification! You'll also notice I put back the red rectile in the center of the view. How does one expect to mark a survivor, or any other object if its removed?

This is a Antiaircraft Gun View of FOTRS:

Here's Optical Corrections:

I couldn't help to notice the 3D model of the 20MM has the camera set WAY too close in its .dat file. I corrected it, as well as keeping the view at the correct scale compared to other views.

I think I'll stop for now. Later I'll show you what other corrections I've done to FOTRS regarding optical views.
Outstanding! Would anybody get their panties in a wringer if we melded this into the core mod? It isn't Maddy but it enhances Maddy's work!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-16, 09:23 AM   #204
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Propbeanie, you're working on the sounds aren't you?

I couldn't help to notice when using the Museum, the sounds of the BB's and CV's (for all sides since they use the same .wav files) are loud (maybe too loud) compared to the CA's, CL's, and most merchants (way too low in volume). The DD's are slightly better, but still seems too low in volume. I use a free download called "Gold Wave" for sounds (maybe you've got a favorite). I'm sure the issue is a simple one (I've fixed this kind of stuff before), just wanted you to see what you can do.

Just thought of something, when I finish my Optical Corrections for FOTRS Ultimate the ability to have a free camera in the Museum will be available. Should help in hearing the difference of the units engine sounds.
Yes, an important tweak for the core mod is to normalize sounds to appropriate volumes and changing all samples to standard 44.1 MHz sample rate to take the load off the sound engine.
Old 06-16-16, 01:30 PM   #205
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

Quote:
Outstanding! Would anybody get their panties in a wringer if we melded this into the core mod? It isn't Maddy but it enhances Maddy's work!
I say hell yeah - go for it

Beautiful work CapnScurvy

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-16, 01:41 PM   #206
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Because of the monster mega-file where all this stuff in CapnScurvy's mod lives, and because it is a totally transparent mod as far as gameplay goes I consider that it's essential that it's installed by default. If MadMax could have done it he would have.
Old 06-16-16, 02:45 PM   #207
XTBilly
Officer

Quote:
Because of the monster mega-file where all this stuff in CapnScurvy's mod lives, and because it is a totally transparent mod as far as gameplay goes I consider that it's essential that it's installed by default. If MadMax could have done it he would have.
I completely agree.

Billy.
Old 06-16-16, 02:56 PM   #208
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Great! That's going to save some files. One of the files that's a real stinker regarding what it does and how easily it can be to mess up is the menu_1024_768.ini file. This file contains info for all 2 Dimensional screen make-ups, like the Periscope screen, the Crew Management screen, the main game Menu screen. Those that are 3 Dimensional are like the Radar screen or the Conning Tower views (their made in .dat files). When mods come along and wish to add their own take to the menu_1024 file, the creator better know how to make the file compatible with the original or something isn't going to be right....usually resulting in to a CTD. It's unfortunate but when mods don't consider the original source of the files they are modifiying....especially files that have already been altered, the mod becomes useless.

With the FOTRS Optical Correction, there's a lot changed in the camera.dat file, but there's also things changed within the menu_1024 file like the placement of the larger sized Periscope lens, or the larger compass bearing at the top of the scope. The Observation scope has to have its own entries, as well as the TBT/UZO too. It's just going to make sense to have some of the parts embedded into the mod so other mods can work from what we finish with.

To continue on with a little more of the Optical Correction comparisons, here's FOTRS initial Museum screen:

The OC Museum screen:

This isn't much of a difference except for the addition of having a Free Camera to move about the models as you like. Put yourself on the deck to see what's it like to to be a sailor on one of these:

Kind of a small thing, but here's the FOTRS view of the Captain's Office:

Here's OC's:

By pushing back the camera a bit, hopefully folks will see the "Options Radio" better on the left shelf.

Getting back to the subs, I've always liked the ability to feel you're in one, yet it's hard to visualize it sitting in a computer chair. One touch I'm putting in is the ability to have the camera tilt with the descend/ascend movement of the sub. In order to accomplish this, certain aspects of the subs interior had to be modified (changing the Command Room and Conning Tower camera initial starting position). It's much like the change I had to make for the 20MM Antiaircraft gun......it just wasn't right. Here's the FOTRS Command Room (Porpoise I think) during a Crash Dive:

Here's an Optical Correction view:

And the Conning Tower:

The camera will level out as the sub levels itself. This doesn't add any extra movement to the interior camera (you won't be getting sea sick with the wash of the waves), but it does give you a sense of movement responding to the decent/accent of the sub.

The German side will be getting it too:

I'll be talking more about the Optical Corrections for the German side later (yes, I've not forgotten you guys).

Here's a last comparison of the FOTRS Observation Periscope 6x magnification at night:

And Optical Corrections:

Quote:
Old 06-16-16, 03:11 PM   #209
XTBilly
Officer

Quote:
Great! That's going to save some files. One of the files that's a real stinker regarding what it does and how easily it can be to mess up is the menu_1024_768.ini file. This file contains info for all 2 Dimensional screen make-ups, like the Periscope screen, the Crew Management screen, the main game Menu screen. Those that are 3 Dimensional are like the Radar screen or the Conning Tower views (their made in .dat files). When mods come along and wish to add their own take to the menu_1024 file, the creator better know how to make the file compatible with the original or something isn't going to be right....usually resulting in to a CTD. It's unfortunate but when mods don't consider the original source of the files they are modifiying....especially files that have already been altered, the mod becomes useless.

With the FOTRS Optical Correction, there's a lot changed in the camera.dat file, but there's also things changed within the menu_1024 file like the placement of the larger sized Periscope lens, or the larger compass bearing at the top of the scope. The Observation scope has to have its own entries, as well as the TBT/UZO too. It's just going to make sense to have some of the parts embedded into the mod so other mods can work from what we finish with.

To continue on with a little more of the Optical Correction comparisons, here's FOTRS initial Museum screen:

The OC Museum screen:

This isn't much of a difference except for the addition of having a Free Camera to move about the models as you like. Put yourself on the deck to see what's it like to to be a sailor on one of these:

Kind of a small thing, but here's the FOTRS view of the Captain's Office:

Here's OC's:

By pushing back the camera a bit, hopefully folks will see the "Options Radio" better on the left shelf.

Getting back to the subs, I've always liked the ability to feel you're in one, yet it's hard to visualize it sitting in a computer chair. One touch I'm putting in is the ability to have the camera tilt with the descend/ascend movement of the sub. In order to accomplish this, certain aspects of the subs interior had to be modified (changing the Command Room and Conning Tower camera initial starting position). It's much like the change I had to make for the 20MM Antiaircraft gun......it just wasn't right. Here's the FOTRS Command Room (Porpoise I think) during a Crash Dive:

Here's an Optical Correction view:

And the Conning Tower:

The camera will level out as the sub levels itself. This doesn't add any extra movement to the interior camera (you won't be getting sea sick with the wash of the waves), but it does give you a sense of movement responding to the decent/accent of the sub.

The German side will be getting it too:

I'll be talking more about the Optical Corrections for the German side later (yes, I've not forgotten you guys).

Here's a last comparison of the FOTRS Observation Periscope 6x magnification at night:

And Optical Corrections:

Dear God !!!!! My jaw just dropped to the floor!!
This is phenomenal!!

The camera tilt movement is one of the most creative ideas I've seen so far.

Respect Capn

Billy.
Old 06-16-16, 03:43 PM   #210
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:

Ya got my vote, RR. Go for it.