SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-14-11, 01:06 PM   #1
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default WDAD by Campaign

Hi all,
I had a go at some missions and although not the best on record I did enjoy making them and would like have a go at a campaign.

The WDAD by Lurker is the most exciting campaign for because of the T and U Class boats that are now available. Also Lurker has completed so much of the work it really is a shame to let it just sit there unfinished. I know I will never match the masters work, but I would like to make some sort of effort, and who knows. At the moment I need to sort the menu out and there are two main issues causing problems
1/ the (DepartureDescription1 and DepartureDescriptionOut1) where can I find this information please.

2/ I still can't work out the data lines below and how to create and save a mission, the ones with the little arrows.

[Flotilla 1]
ID= HMS Talbot
NameDisplayable= HMS Talbot, Valette
AvailabilityInterval=NULL, NULL

[Flotilla 1.Base 1]
ID= Valetta
NameDisplayable= Valetta
Info= Valetta
ExternalBaseName=Valetta
AvailabilityInterval= NULL, 1940-01-01
DepartureDescription1= 9750190, 1021415, 045 <---
DepartureDescriptionOut1= 9750190, 1021415, 045 <---

[Flotilla 1.UserPlayerUnitType 1]
ID= F1TClass
NameDisplayable= T class
AvailabilityInterval= NULL, NULL
IDLinkUserPlayerUnitType= Triton
UnitTypeCommonality= 4
IDFlotillaLinkTransferTo= NULL

[Flotilla 1.UserPlayerUnitType 2]
ID= F1TUClass
NameDisplayable= U class
IDLinkUserPlayerUnitType= Upholder
UnitTypeCommonality= 2

[Flotilla 1.UserPlayerUnitType 1.Objective 1] <----------
ID= EF1Obj1 <----------
NameDisplayable=WEST <----------
AvailabilityInterval=1941-12-06, 1944-10-15 <----------
ObjectiveCode=WEST <----------

any help appreciated sid
Old 02-14-11, 02:54 PM   #2
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidslotm View Post
Hi all,
I had a go at some missions and although not the best on record I did enjoy making them and would like have a go at a campaign.

The WDAD by Lurker is the most exciting campaign for because of the T and U Class boats that are now available. Also Lurker has completed so much of the work it really is a shame to let it just sit there unfinished. I know I will never match the masters work, but I would like to make some sort of effort, and who knows. At the moment I need to sort the menu out and there are two main issues causing problems
1/ the (DepartureDescription1 and DepartureDescriptionOut1) where can I find this information please.

2/ I still can't work out the data lines below and how to create and save a mission, the ones with the little arrows.

[Flotilla 1]
ID= HMS Talbot
NameDisplayable= HMS Talbot, Valette
AvailabilityInterval=NULL, NULL

[Flotilla 1.Base 1]
ID= Valetta
NameDisplayable= Valetta
Info= Valetta
ExternalBaseName=Valetta
AvailabilityInterval= NULL, 1940-01-01

[Flotilla 1.UserPlayerUnitType 1]
ID= F1TClass
NameDisplayable= T class
IDLinkUserPlayerUnitType= Triton
UnitTypeCommonality= 4

[Flotilla 1.UserPlayerUnitType 2]
ID= F1TUClass
NameDisplayable= U class
IDLinkUserPlayerUnitType= Upholder
UnitTypeCommonality= 2

ID= EF1Obj1 <----------

any help appreciated sid
Quote:
DepartDescription1 is for starting from port. Out1 is for starting outside of the port.
To find these numbers, use the mission editor. Open the file containing the port. (you don't need to save it, you are only using it to find the proper numbers). Add a sub inside the port where you want to place the sub and then look at the status bar at the bottom of the mission editor window. On my monitor, I have to move the windows task bar out of the way to see them.
Once the sub is properly placed, use the first two numbers in the status bar.
Coords Ing
XXXXXXXXX [m], xxxxxxxxxxx [m] ...........
The third number (045) is the heading of the sub. Using these numbers and the proper heading you can place the sub accurately at a dock.

If you are doing this in WDAD or any campaign that is already written, you will need to check that there are no other ships placed at the same location during the campaign.

Quote:
ID= EF1Obj1 <----------
Again using the mission editor you will see you can add an objective. For most you will first need to add a zone by right clicking on the map and 'add map zone'. Then refer to this zone for your objective.
1. The Name displayable is the name you give to the objective. Don't just leave them "Objective 1', 'Objective 2' etc, it will get confusing later.

2.The dates are when this Objective (mission) is available to assign to your sub. Using the 'stock game' as an example ( I have not used WDAD). In the stock game it would not make sense to assign an Objective to Guam in 1945. there are no enemy ships in that area. So the Available interval would be the historical time when subs are actually assigned missions in the area defined by the zone/objective combination.

3.Objective code is using is combination with Data/UPCData/UPCCampaignData/PatrolObjectives.cfg. The PartolObjectives.cfg contains all the Objectives created and you must add any you create to this fils. Then the game uses the "ObjectiveCode" to match with a line in the PatrolObjectives.cfg called "All Match="

For example here is a mission from WDAD:

Quote:
[Section 2]
ID=ID2
FileName=Data\Campaigns\Campaign\PatrolObjectives\ Andaman Sea 2\Andaman Sea 2.mis
StartDate=19411201
EndDate=19450901
GameModes=Career
InclusionProbability=100
MinimumDifficultyRating=0
MinimumPlayerRating=-3
ExclusiveLayer=No
ExclusiveLayerID=1
EvaluationReason=FirstObjective
AllMatch=WEST <---------------------
ObjectiveType=0
BriefingMapName=NULL
BriefingMapIcon=NULL
BriefingMapIconPosX=0
BriefingMapIconPosY=0
Notice the line "All Match=WEST". That means it is one mission that could be assigned to your sub. It will pick one of several where the "ObjectiveCode" and "Allmatch" are the same and the date falls within the time frame of the Objective/mission.
By using this method you can assign several missions to your sub using only one entry in the Flotilla.upc file and the game will pick one for you to go on. In the version of WDAD I have downloaded there are only two entries in the Flotillas.upc; EAST and WEST, but there are 23 missions in the PatrolObjectives.cfg. The game uses the ObjectiveCode/AllMatch combination to pick one for you.
If you look at the Flotillas.upc the WEST is 41-44, the EAST is 44-45.

I hope that makes sense.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 02:43 AM   #3
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks Peabody,

the map co-ordinances are now in place.

The building of the menu works in part, in as much as the Malta button is working and I enter the office, I can even load in a previous game which is encourageing.

But right now I feel this will only truly be understood when its applied and working. So if I can get the first campaign mission to work correctly, I can move on, I'll keep you informed, thanks very much.

sid
Old 03-30-11, 10:53 AM   #4
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default New question

Hi

I have been messing round with WDAD NORTHSEA campaign for a while now. Although I have had some success, it does crash from time to time. One thing I have not been able to understand (among many) is this little beaut from Lurkers WDAD files. How are they arrived at and what do they mean please

[Flotilla 1.UserPlayerUnitType 1.Objective 1]
ID= EF1Obj1 <-------------------------------------------
NameDisplayable=WEST
AvailabilityInterval=1941-12-06, 1944-10-15
ObjectiveCode=WEST

[Flotilla 1.UserPlayerUnitType 1.Objective 2]
ID= EF1Obj2 <-------------------------------------------
NameDisplayable= EAST
AvailabilityInterval=1944-10-16, 1945-10-15
ObjectiveCode=EAST

thanks sid
Old 03-30-11, 01:03 PM   #5
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Hi

I have been messing round with WDAD NORTHSEA campaign for a while now. Although I have had some success, it does crash from time to time. One thing I have not been able to understand (among many) is this little beaut from Lurkers WDAD files. How are they arrived at and what do they mean please

ID= EF1Obj1 <-------------------------------------------
NameDisplayable=WEST
ObjectiveCode=WEST

[Flotilla 1.UserPlayerUnitType 1.Objective 2]
ID= EF1Obj2 <-------------------------------------------
NameDisplayable= EAST
AvailabilityInterval=1944-10-16, 1945-10-15
ObjectiveCode=EAST

thanks sid
Hi Sid,

This lets you assign different objectives during the campaign as you see necessary. In WDAD you have a set of objectives when you are assigned to the base in Trincomalee (WEST=Andaman islands, Malacca Straits) and a different set when you move to Fremantle (EAST=Java Sea, South China Sea).

After you set these objectives in the flotillas.upc file, each patrol zone or special mission you add to PatrolObjectives.cfg has a field called AllMatch that tells the game which patrol zones belongs to each objective. In WDAD, all objectives set to WEST correspond to Trincomalee-based operations (up to 10/15/1944) and the ones labeled EAST are for Fremantle submarines.

My apologies if it's not very well explained.
Old 03-31-11, 03:21 PM   #6
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi JL,

greetings to Spain from England.

As you know I have dabbled with the WDAD campaign for some time know and I actually took your Med campaign and managed to get a class U boat to spawn at portsmouth. But the moment I put an Objective in the game map at Heligoland Bight the game crashed.

Im wondering if it's got anything to do with ( ID= EF1Obj2 and D= EF1Obj1 ) I just can't find out how and why these names are derived at, where they might be saved to prevent the game crashing. I see in your Med campaign you put Malta1Obj!.

Quote:
In WDAD, all objectives set to WEST correspond to Trincomalee-based operations (up to 10/15/1944) and the ones labeled EAST are for Fremantle submarines

Quote:
[Section 1]
ID=ID1
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Patrol South China Sea 01/Patrol South China Sea 01.mis
StartDate=19420201
EndDate=19450901
GameModes=Career
InclusionProbability=100
MinimumPlayerRating=-3
ExclusiveLayer=No
ExclusiveLayerID=1
AllMatch=South China Sea <-------------------------------- yes
ObjectiveType=0
BriefingMapName=NULL
BriefingMapIcon=NULL
BriefingMapIconPosX=0
BriefingMapIconPosY=0
sid, " I used to be uncertain, but now I'm not so sure "
Old 03-31-11, 04:18 PM   #7
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Hi JL,

greetings to Spain from England.

As you know I have dabbled with the WDAD campaign for some time know and I actually took your Med campaign and managed to get a class U boat to spawn at portsmouth. But the moment I put an Objective in the game map at Heligoland Bight the game crashed.

Im wondering if it's got anything to do with ( ID= EF1Obj2 and D= EF1Obj1 ) I just can't find out how and why these names are derived at, where they might be saved to prevent the game crashing. I see in your Med campaign you put Malta1Obj!.
sid, " I used to be uncertain, but now I'm not so sure "
ID for the objectives can be anything you want, I guess. I just followed the FLOTILLA-number-OBJ-number because it is very clear.

Then, the field ObjectiveCode is what you will use in the field ALLMATCH in PatrolObjectives.cfg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flotilla.upc
ID= EF1Obj1
NameDisplayable=WEST
ObjectiveCode=WEST
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrolObjectives.cfg
[Section 1]
ID=ID1
FileName=Data\Campaigns\Campaign\PatrolObjectives\ Andaman Sea 1\Andaman Sea 1.mis
StartDate=19411201
EndDate=19450901
GameModes=Career
InclusionProbability=100
MinimumPlayerRating=-3
ExclusiveLayer=No
ExclusiveLayerID=1
AllMatch=WEST
ObjectiveType=0
BriefingMapName=NULL
BriefingMapIcon=NULL
BriefingMapIconPosX=0
BriefingMapIconPosY=0
Old 04-01-11, 01:10 PM   #8
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi JL,

when you place a map zone thats going to be the Objective file, ie " Heligoland Bight " you save as scripted layer is that right?........ also, on what map file do you place the map zone, campaign_LOC or campaign_NMS.

thanks sid
Old 04-02-11, 01:54 AM   #9
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Hi JL,

when you place a map zone thats going to be the Objective file, ie " Heligoland Bight " you save as scripted layer is that right?........ also, on what map file do you place the map zone, campaign_LOC or campaign_NMS.

thanks sid
I save the Patrol Objectives files with the Save (Normal Mission) as option.

To place the zones I usually start a new map, merge any needed reference (without marking them as saveable) as convoy routes layers or harbor locations (Campaign_LOC), and then create and position the zone.

Hope this helps you
Old 04-02-11, 03:47 AM   #10
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi JL,

thanks for that JL, I am beginning to look else where now, dates maybe. It's just I must have exausted every combination of possible permutaions of file type there is, and still I only get a partial loading of the game, at best.

The Menu works fine to look at, but if date is wrong . I read somewhere in a thread "peabody" I think, that dates should over lap by a few days, mmmmm.

sid "talk to der hand"
Old 04-02-11, 01:25 PM   #11
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Hi JL,

thanks for that JL, I am beginning to look else where now, dates maybe. It's just I must have exausted every combination of possible permutaions of file type there is, and still I only get a partial loading of the game, at best.

The Menu works fine to look at, but if date is wrong . I read somewhere in a thread "peabody" I think, that dates should over lap by a few days, mmmmm.

sid "talk to der hand"
Without seeing all the files it is hard to determine what is wrong. But I did what to clarify a comment I made above.
When I was explaining how to obtain the Departure descriptions, this is only to obtain those numbers for Departure locations. Do not save the mission with the player sub in it! The game adds the player sub. This technique is ONLY used to obtain the numbers. So make sure you did not save any missions with the player sub in them.

To answer another question, No the objective mission does not "NEED" to be saved as a scripted layer. You can save as a regular mission, just delete the .tsr file, it is only needed for single missions.
1. Make sure the mission name and the folder name are the same.
2. Check dates, as you commented.
3. Make sure there is no player sub in the mission.
4. The only reason you would need to overlap the missions is to make sure you don't have a gap where there is no mission available. But you should get a message not a CTD if no mission/objective is available.

Quote:
Simple answer; neither one. As JL pointed out he uses "Merge" to load the NMS and LOC files only as a reference to position the zone. But by NOT using "merge as savable, it will not save the "merged" information when you save the mission/Objective.

One way to test, if you haven't tried it already is to load the mission/objective you created that is crashing. Put the sub into it you want to use and save as a single mission and see if it works. DO NOT use this for the campaign, but only as a test to see if you have a mistake in the mission/objective. You need to remove the sub to save for the Campaign.

Things to check:
1. As you commented: dates.
Make sure the sub is available on that date
Make sure the mission is available on that date
Make sure the base is available on that date

2. Make sure the ID you created for your mission is not the same as any other IDs.

3. Make sure your "Objective Code" and "AllMatch" are exactly the same, check spelling, spaces etc.

Like I commented, it is hard to tell what the problem is without seeing the files.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 01:33 AM   #12
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for that peabody your a diamond.

Quote:
Simple answer; neither one. As JL pointed out he uses "Merge" to load the NMS and LOC files only as a reference to position the zone. But by NOT using "merge as savable, it will not save the "merged" information when you save the mission/Objective.
Sorry JL, I was blind but now I see, thanks peabody.

sid
Old 04-03-11, 01:50 AM   #13
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

One thing about the dates.

A good check could be starting the campaign in the same dates as the original WDAD. We know that the game loads fine with those dates (1-1-1944 for instance). If it would work well this way, there is some certainty that the problem is a date somewhere.

When I was checking the files you sent me, I noticed that the T-Class had an availability date in the UPC file (..Data\Submarine\NSS_Triton) set later than the start of the campaign. I changed it and it would still crash the game, but there could be more of those hidden.
Old 04-04-11, 02:37 AM   #14
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi JL,

yes I'm looking into this now, thanks. Trying to work it out is to much, heh.
Old 05-09-11, 12:46 PM   #15
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Thanks

Thanks Peabody and JL for all the help on getting WDAD British Campaign running. It took me longer that I anticipated but we are up and running from Gosport and Rosneath. a breakthough.

Now I just got to come up with some missions, near authentic if possible. A problem I never saw is there are no German convoys to sink, I may have to make them up. We will see and I will keep you updated.

thanks again, sid