SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-28-09, 09:27 PM   #151
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Excellent. This means that I will have a lot more time to work on vessels like cargo ships, tankers, & liners (which I have much more experience with). Can't wait to see what the ships & parts look like on my comp!
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 10:03 PM   #152
theschell
Seaman

Downloads: 0

http://www.sharecg.com/images/large/53466.jpg

What you see in my promo images is pretty much it... my pics are just the raw models with some basic lights and a water prop rendered in Daz Studio... no post work our touch-ups to the images or models.... the models themselves are available at sharecg... http://www.sharecg.com/pf/theschell and there are large promo images like the one in the link above for each model... the only thing i'll have to send via email is that parts collection...
theschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 11:04 AM   #153
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by theschell View Post
http://www.sharecg.com/images/large/53466.jpg

What you see in my promo images is pretty much it... my pics are just the raw models with some basic lights and a water prop rendered in Daz Studio... no post work our touch-ups to the images or models.... the models themselves are available at sharecg... http://www.sharecg.com/pf/theschell and there are large promo images like the one in the link above for each model... the only thing i'll have to send via email is that parts collection...

they are.. WOW ! sinkable !

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 11:34 AM   #154
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

I tried importing one of the models but it crashed wings3d - even when I substituted a blank .mtl file.

I will keep trying and post the results.
Old 10-29-09, 01:01 PM   #155
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
I tried importing one of the models but it crashed wings3d - even when I substituted a blank .mtl file.

I will keep trying and post the results.
I could try with 3ds if you want ?

keltos

Old 10-29-09, 10:17 PM   #156
theschell
Seaman

if nothing else i know hexagon opens them and can export 3ds format as well as obj and others... i've had 3ds files crash hexagon it's wierd sometimes...

Part of the problem may be the size of the obj's... my ships are huge poly counts... daz studio handles high and extremely high poly models well... poser has some probs when rendering my models but can load them just fine... also a suggestion... my texture maps are 3000x3000 by 300dpi... which seems to be too high res for most programs to handle... try just importing the obj without textures... i've been told that sometimes helps
Old 10-29-09, 10:18 PM   #157
theschell
Seaman

I'll do a test with wings 3d and see what the problem may be... i'll let you know...
Old 10-29-09, 10:59 PM   #158
theschell
Seaman

ok... having tested in wings... i was able to get the obj. for my motorlaunch to open... though it took a few minutes... but not anything larger than that... some of my ships parts such as gun turret components and such opened just fine as well... but more complicated parts such as the pre-built superstructures i have wouldn't open and crashed wings as well... i'm thinking that wings just can't handle the poly counts... which isn't an uncommon problem... and i've heard mention on some of the poser sites i belong to of similar problems with wings and high-poly models...
Old 10-29-09, 11:12 PM   #159
theschell
Seaman

i also tested in blender and that program will open them no probs... what format do you need them in?
Old 10-30-09, 06:11 PM   #160
theschell
Seaman

hello all... happy to report that i've sent a list to iambecomelife via email of the parts i have available and will be providing towards this project... i'll start sending parts along later this evening... so hopefully they'll help... if there's anything else i can do to add to this worthy venture please let me know....
Old 10-30-09, 06:25 PM   #161
keltos01
Silent Hunter

very good news !

keltos

Old 10-30-09, 08:50 PM   #162
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

good to hear Chris, like having a virtual shipyard to go to for parts and assembly thanks a lot.
Old 10-31-09, 12:36 AM   #163
theschell
Seaman

Ok... no probs everyone... i just hope you can use some of it... all the ships parts are now sent... (iambecomelife check you emails please ) if there's anything more i can do to help don't hesitate to ask ...any word on the prob opening my ships with wings?...
Old 10-31-09, 08:15 PM   #164
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Thanks a lot! I downloaded Daz3d and managed to open the destroyer with no problems. However, I have no idea how to model with this program - do you have any advice or preferred tutorials? I know there's always Google, but you can never seem to sift through all the bad advice & poor tutorials... thanks again.
Old 10-31-09, 08:30 PM   #165
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Work on the WOTK merchant fleet continues, using Wings3d. Here's one vessel with a scratch-built hull. It really isn't that much work to make a ship that can have symmetrical lettering, emblems, and hull flags - this tub is far from great, but I hope that the SH5 crew pays more attention to merchant ship texturing this time around. Just saying.

Homeport & funnel colors were ID'd using one of Talbot-Booth's merchant ship ID books, plus WWI identification booklets issued to the Royal Navy.

Couple of slackers astern...

I will add some more details like ladders & doors - then I'll use this as the basis for many of the other civilian ships.