SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-07-09, 08:35 PM   #1
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

Default Looking for a SS of MAD

Anyone have a SS of MAD on a plane? I thought it was the round device sticking out under the cockpit area, but told that was surface radar. Not sure what the railing is near the tail on both sides in this SS, but told it was not MAD.

Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 01:52 AM   #2
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

From what I have read MAD a "device"(it is not a radome or antenne) that is I guess pole like(at least it is in modern forms) so it must have been mounted below one of the wings or fusalage. I have a book on Japanese AC and it covers the Q1W Tokia (the plane in your pic) it mentions the MAD but does not really describe it nor show any pictures of it so equpied. One of these attacked the Halibut and they heard odd sounds while being nailed really hard by some DDs they later learned that they where the first sub to get "madded" the Q1W had to fly very very low over the water for the MAD to really work 100% and that was the odd sound that that the crew kept hearing the plane. Anyway a photo of a real Q1W mounting MAD might be very rare and I dont think the one in TMO has a MAD in the visual manner anyway but it is there according to you.If you have ever read Thunder Below(I hope you have) Gene Fluckley mentions an ULTRA the Barb got about MAD Q1Ws being in thier AO It said to to evade on an East-West course avoid North-South courses. At bit self explaining as to why its magnetic.If the game where 100% accurte it cant be radar as the Japanese could not field an airborne surface search radar fast enough that is why they developed the MAD I guess they thought it was better and it is because it is very hard to hide from.Those are raido antenna on sides nothing more. who says that any plane in SH4 TMO has made anyway?( I have never read it in any of TMOs read mes) I was not aware they simulted that and doubt they do it right if it is there because if it is i have not seen an plane use it right.MAD is completey diffrent form the radar and sonar aspetcs.A good way to tell if they did it right the MAd equiped plane should have to fly very low( I mean just over the waves) over your subs location to get a good fix and he should have to do this before attacking see if a plane does that if one dose they have it right other wise they have it wrong.Also the real Q1W could only muster a mere 2 551 lb deapth charges so with historical accuray in mind it shoud only be able to pull off one attck.

Last edited by Stealhead; 06-08-09 at 02:22 AM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote