SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-12-05, 01:30 PM   #1
marcin_76
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Probability of inclusion?

I'm trying to finally (after a few months of playing DW) create my own cutom missions but I am a little bit confused by the "probability of inclusion" option.

It clearly applies to objects in dynamic groups, but seems to work only in that situation. Shouldn't it work for "stand-alone" ships as well? The manual isn't too clear at this point.

I thought that I would be able to create some random civilian traffic around just by placing many ships with prob. of incl. set to - say - 30% but every time I launch the mission they appear in the same configuration. Need I really create a dynamic group for that?

TIA for any help.
Marcin
marcin_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-05, 01:52 PM   #2
OKO
Commander

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0

to manage the neutrals, VERY important for mission replayability, here is the way I do =>

1) I usually use ALL different neutrals of the list, and 4 bios (2 shrimp and 2 whales)
this is around 12 or 14 platforms.
I put them all around the battlefield, with random apparition boxes of different size, and different tactics for them (but logical ones, like ladder box for trawler at 5 knts, perimeter box for whales at 10 knts etc ...)

2) I create a dynamic group where I put all these neutrals.
and choose the max and min number (like 4 and 6) of apparition

3) now you must go in each one of the neutrals and specify the prob of incl.
How does it works =>
the time the neutrals a generated, they are picked up from the list, in the order you put them in
So if you set prob of incl to 100%, the first one of the list will ALWAYS be selected.
This mean you can give different prob of incl for your neutrals !

If you have 12 neutrals and want to give them same prob of incl, you can give them 10% each ones
but if in the list, you want a specific neutrals to have more prob of incl, you can give it 25% for example => when the generation of neutral will be made a mission start, all the list will be read and tested until the desired number is generated. When the generator will arrive to the neutral at 25%, this neutral will have 25% of chance to be selected instead of the 10% of chance of other neutrals.

But usually, you better use same prob of incl for all and let the random process working equally for all of them.
So, the best thing to do is to divide 100 by the number of object

example you have 6 objects => 100:6 = 16
prob of incl for each must be 16%

10 objects => 100:10 => 10
prob of incl for each must be 10%

if you don't do that (quite easy isn't it) and let prob of incl at 100%, only the first objects of you group will be created, and never the last ones.
OKO is offline   Reply With Quote