Devastating wildfires

http://abcnews.go.com/US/thousands-f...ry?id=50383162

The worst of all natural disasters.
Old 10-10-17, 03:13 PM   #2
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

The High winds are not making this better, that's for sure.
Old 10-10-17, 03:32 PM   #3
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Just saw it in the news, terrible. Looked like almost a quarter of California is in flames, and the wind speed of more than 120 km/h fan the flames and drive the front on to new territory, easily transgressing forest aisles
Napa valley and the wine areas are also taking a beating.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 03:49 PM   #4
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Sad to see.
Is it just me or does stuff like that seem to occur more frequently lately?
Old 10-10-17, 03:59 PM   #5
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Very sad ... worse one yet.

More than 50,000 acres are burning in Napa and Sonoma counties alone. Authorities say wildfires have destroyed at least 1,500 homes,
businesses and other structures and forced an estimated 20,000 people to evacuate from eight counties
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 04:53 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon9 from the front line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Devastating wildfires

http://abcnews.go.com/US/thousands-f...ry?id=50383162

The worst of all natural disasters.

You're a little late to the party Onkel; Moderator please move to http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2517667&postcount=105 We just got back power and Verizon/internet( incl. my computer) two minutes ago after eighteen hours. Still totally smoked out; visibility is under two hundred yards. I had driven 30 miles to regain some phone service and shop for a generator (the local stores are sold out) when the call came from the daughter that the power was restored. This 'peace' with the elements is short-lived however; the forecast is for 30 mph winds tonight so it's not over yet, embers still in the rugged area ravines and gullies tend to revitalize and start the fires afresh. This fire has incinerated twenty sq. miles and 11 are dead so far with well over a hundred homes totaled with some 1500 structures total...some within 1000 yards of my own home in all four directions. We're breathing with masks or wet bandanas; ash is everywhere and tree boughs are all over the yards from the winds: 'copters cannot drop retardant in such winds. The house is closed up tight to keep out smoke, and use of the AC is not advisable. More as things develop... https://www.wsj.com/articles/thousands-forced-to-flee-as-wildfires-continue-to-rage-in-california-1507644679 (all that gray stuff is what I'm breathing as it 'settles' in the Napa valley!) the winds, usually from the west, are coming from the East and nort...very unusual and forboding and blowing embers everywhere- these CHP fotos are of the Atlas Peak area fire to the east of me (5 miles) which has accounted for 50+ homes destroyed alone. Fire services are hard pressed in the rough terrain.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-10-17 at 05:36 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 06:15 PM   #7
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

My employer has asked me to head to California to assist with these fire claims.

the commissions would run about $18,000 - $25,000 per week

I respectfully declined the assignment.

California is the hardest state in the USA to work insurance claims due to the burdensome red tape and bureaucracy, not to mention the litigation which accompanies about 1 in every 3 or 4 claims worked there.

I could go there and stay til spring and pay my house off and then some, but is just not worth the headache.

I'm told they are going to suffer a massive shortage of experienced insurance staff as a result of the back to back hurricanes and the dispersal of personnel in other parts of the country.

I feel for these folks. they are probably going to get bottom of the barrel, brand new people with zero experience trying to adjust $700,000 losses
Old 10-10-17, 07:04 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
they are probably going to get bottom of the barrel, brand new people with zero experience trying to adjust $700,000 losses
Those would be perfect people then... $700K is the 'bottom of the barrel' in Napa and Sonoma county! The earthquake insurance policies are a complete rip-off hassle. Fire damage is always preferable. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/25-...nce-2014-10-17. "Hey GR?!" What AK?" "Welcome 2 CA. R.E. 'sticker shock 101' BBY! The average home price in the bay area is apprx. $1,000,000 http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/04/28/bay-area-median-home-price-approaches-all-time-high/I just hope these adjusters are wearing their pacemakers!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-16-17 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-10-17, 07:29 PM   #9
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

i lived in Los Angeles for about a month.

You literally cannot pay me to go there LOL
Old 10-10-17, 07:39 PM   #10
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I've lived in California all my life and you couldn't pay me to live in LA either!

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 08:06 PM   #11
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
i lived in Los Angeles for about a month.

You literally cannot pay me to go there LOL
You could park in the middle of Hwy 405 in LA in the morning and no one would know it as they all slowly pass you by on their way to work.
or achievement

Old 11-03-17, 01:09 PM   #12
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Default What Happens to Fire Retardant Soaked Cropsk

https://ww2.kqed.org/science/2017/11...-soaked-crops/
Old 11-06-17, 02:16 PM   #13
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Hang in there California ... the fire stops here

or achievement

Old 11-23-17, 01:37 PM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Politics rears its ugly head as the coffers drain

California didn't vote for the Gropinator-in-Chief: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/11/17/white-house-44-billion-disaster-aid-bill-offers-no-relief-for-wildfire-victims/
Quote:
In a joint statement, (Democrat) Senators Dianne Feinstein and Kamala Harris called the bill “appalling.”
“It’s appalling the White House is choosing to ignore the victims of California’s wildfires,” the senators said. “The latest disaster supplemental request is a completely inadequate response to all of the recent natural disasters, but it’s particularly egregious that no money was included to help Californians rebuild.”
“To help with the recovery, there’s been a bipartisan effort between California’s congressional delegation and Governor Brown to secure $7.4 billion in federal funds for those devastated by the wildfires,” the statement continued. “Despite the Trump administration’s request, we’ll continue that effort to ensure enough funding is included for California in this aid package before it passes Congress.”
In all fairness though, the hurricane burden, especially in Puerto Rico, Texas, and Florida is at $100 billion dollars. The amount requested by CA's Gov Brown ( governor moonbeam in his own right?!) is $7.5 billion and separate FEMA aid has been authorized to California disaster victims. As a greatfull FEMA recipient in one past earthquake disaster myself: destroyed chimney and foundation to house etc, I imagine the Donald has to make some tough allotment decisions and is discovering there are no good deals!! https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2017/10/10/president-donald-j-trump-approves-major-disaster-declaration-california The world's 10th largest economy, California, and its 'wine country' will weather the firestorm...sodaspeke!

Old 12-06-17, 11:00 AM   #15
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

ON the radio this AM: Insured fire damages are listed at $9,000,000,000! Additionally
Quote:
and chairman of AccuWeather.
“We estimate the California wildfires will profoundly affect the economy of California. The cost to contain and fight the fire and deal with the aftermath will be in the billions. And, the loss in tax revenue from businesses no longer around, including the vineyards; the workers who have lost their jobs and can no longer pay taxes as well as other impacts will be quite costly. This will create a hole in the California budget, which may necessitate an increase in taxes. (naturally) If California has to borrow more this might negatively impact its bond ratings and it will have to pay higher interest rates on all borrowings, which can cost upwards of 10s of billions of dollars. At this time, we estimate the economic impact of the fires is already approaching $70 billion dollars. Based on our forecast the total costs from this disaster on the economy would exceed $85 billion the total economic impact could even reach $100 billion.”
Now we have the Ventura Fire. Winds up to 70 mph( air dropped retardant cannot be used above 30mph) have caused 27,000 people to evauate and the fire has consumed 50, 000 acres; The town of Bel Air is presently threatened.

Tags
california, wild fires