SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-18-19, 01:48 PM   #76
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Welcome back!

Djr18045!after six years silent running!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-19, 04:27 PM   #77
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

With English subs:

https://w4.all123movies.com/watch/da...U1GGoPpmEuPV5Q
Old 02-19-19, 01:17 AM   #78
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikaga View Post

Thank you good sir.
Old 02-22-19, 03:16 AM   #79
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Finished watching episodes one through four just now and I'm really liking it.

Best tip I can give to anyone planning on seeing it is: It's not a Das Boot remake. Different boat, different plot. Go in with that in mind and you might like it more.

That's cuz there's more boobies than depth charge attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djr18045 View Post
Watched 2 1/2 episodes... I will not be watching any more... Totally different than the film and not in a good way.

I've watched through episode 4. Seriously? wtf? okay? I think it just jumped the shark at this point. Oh, and you are correct Neal.

...and it's hard to believe after all this, Doenitz will go to New Mexico and build meth labs. Better than "After MASH."
Old 02-22-19, 03:35 AM   #80
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

I finished the season... I agree with most people here. It could have been called anything but Das Boot. Very good series and I will watch more seasons. But it was more about everything but the boat!

Should have been called Das La Rochelle!
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-19, 12:30 PM   #81
JamesT73J
Medic

Downloads: 9

I approached it with an open mind. I wasn't expecting too much; after all the original will forever be unsurpassed.

I think it's good. A different focus than the original mini/film, and taken on its merits I think it is well made. I like the little moments of fan service, and the procedural detail on the operation of the submarine is nicely done. I really like the soundtrack; it reminds me a little of the Blade Runner 2049 score.

The foley work is a bit disappointing; much time was spent on the original (including re-recording a few pieces for the 1997 release) and I do think the sound needs some work.

The cinematography is good, and the effects work is subtle; I was worried the reliance on CGI would leak into things but thus far their brief appears to have been 'keep the aesthetic of the original'.

The scenes with three languages are brilliant; you have to hand it to them, it's ambitious.

I'll always love the original. I do not mind this one at all, and I have to say their overhead shot of the boat cutting through the centre of the frame is absolutely fantastic.
"My advice - buy the damn game and play the arse off it. It's not all there yet but it's still a damn good game, and we all know it'll be even better once the community is done crawling all over it." User 'Sideways' 08th March 2010.
JamesT73J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-19, 10:32 AM   #82
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

For those capable of viewing the Dutch public TV channels. The series (start) will be 'aired' on Saturday March 2nd (2019) on NPO 2 at 20:00
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-19, 12:53 PM   #83
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I'm a happy man.

Have read a lot about this new series here and other places, mostly here.
it have been
Good and bad stories about this series.

I really wanted to see this new series.

And behold
On Swedish public tv tonight first episode of Das Boot
(First episode of eight)

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-19, 07:21 PM   #84
Wamiduku
Seaman

Downloads: 0

The lower picture is the u-boat featured in the TV series. One of the characters says it's a Type VII-C. I thought all Bs and Cs had the hockey club shaped arrangement of drain holes, but the one in the series lacks the upper 4 holes.

What's up with that?

BTW, this has to be the worst managed u-boat in the history of the Kriegsmarine. Petty conflicts, frequent fistfights among the crew members, blame games, the Kaleun letting the XO get away with blatant disloyalty and insubordination, a general atmosphere of disharmony, and absolutely zero team spirit within the crew.

If the German armed forces would have been like that, the war would have been over in 2 weeks, with the Polish cavalry beating the crap out of the German Panzer corps.
Wamiduku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-19, 02:43 AM   #85
daft
Captain

Downloads: 15

I'm a bit annoyed that they sold it as Das Boot. A simple PR stunt. It's a semi-decent drama, but it certainly isn't Das Boot. It's trying to appeal to way too large an audience. Lesbian love story, crime drama and action movie with semi-historical representations of technical procedures.

The crew on that boat? It's not only the worst in the Kriegsmarine, it's the worst in any navy ever!

Also, the Wrangel storyline? Why the ******* would they risk a very valuable u-boat on that mission? It makes absolutely zero sense other than act as a plot device to reach a climax in the crew conflict storyline. Hoffmann had done nothing that would warrant such behavior from his men.

To me this was a slightly entertaining drama, but boy oh boy did they drop the ball on the Das Boot part.
Old 03-19-19, 04:38 AM   #86
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by daft View Post
I'm a bit annoyed that they sold it as Das Boot. A simple PR stunt. It's a semi-decent drama, but it certainly isn't Das Boot. It's trying to appeal to way too large an audience. Lesbian love story, crime drama and action movie with semi-historical representations of technical procedures.

The crew on that boat? It's not only the worst in the Kriegsmarine, it's the worst in any navy ever!

Also, the Wrangel storyline? Why the ******* would they risk a very valuable u-boat on that mission? It makes absolutely zero sense other than act as a plot device to reach a climax in the crew conflict storyline. Hoffmann had done nothing that would warrant such behavior from his men.

To me this was a slightly entertaining drama, but boy oh boy did they drop the ball on the Das Boot part.
I am with you on this..it was an ok drama. However, that yank/Canadian was bloody annoying and could not act to save her life..

i am going to re-watch the real Das Boot just to feel clean again.
Deepseadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-19, 07:10 AM   #87
Wamiduku
Seaman

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by daft View Post
It's trying to appeal to way too large an audience. Lesbian love story, ...
I don't think that's in there to widen the appeal. It's probably due to some informal requirements for TV series. We have that in Sweden, as SVT (Swedish State TV) boss Hanna Stern introduced a checklist for elements that have to be present in an SVT drama. Gay love, feminism and diversity are some of the points on the list, and I assume that the Das Boot TV producers have similar requirements placed on them.

It becomes quite ridiculous in series with few leading characters, where those issues seem shoehorned into the plots. Once you've seen it, it's impossible to unsee it.

Quote:
Especially the sonar operator, who can't tell a single ship from a convoy.

Quote:
Also, the Wrangel storyline? Why the ******* would they risk a very valuable u-boat on that mission? It makes absolutely zero sense other than act as a plot device to reach a climax in the crew conflict storyline.
Yes, trading a VIP for a POW makes no sense. Also, the story implies that Wrangel is so important that the u-boat must avoid all fights in order to bring him home alive. But he's a u-boat commander, so once he's back home, he'd most likely be sent back out with the opposite orders: pick as many fights as possible. That's just ridiculous.

Quote:
Hoffmann had done nothing that would warrant such behavior from his men.
Yes, he's a bit of a pain in the ass and he insists on following orders to the letter, but that's hardly unique in any armed force.
Wamiduku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-19, 03:46 PM   #88
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

If that was my XO I would have shot him right where he stood, for all the disrespect at sea. Then dump him overboard. Right from the beginning, he was resisting the commander! Can't have that!
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-19, 04:31 PM   #89
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I wonder how historical correct this new version of Das Boot is.

It also looks like they have added how we think behave in our society, into this series

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-19, 03:03 AM   #90
daft
Captain

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamiduku View Post
I don't think that's in there to widen the appeal. It's probably due to some informal requirements for TV series. We have that in Sweden, as SVT (Swedish State TV) boss Hanna Stern introduced a checklist for elements that have to be present in an SVT drama. Gay love, feminism and diversity are some of the points on the list, and I assume that the Das Boot TV producers have similar requirements placed on them.

It becomes quite ridiculous in series with few leading characters, where those issues seem shoehorned into the plots. Once you've seen it, it's impossible to unsee it.

Especially the sonar operator, who can't tell a single ship from a convoy.

Yes, trading a VIP for a POW makes no sense. Also, the story implies that Wrangel is so important that the u-boat must avoid all fights in order to bring him home alive. But he's a u-boat commander, so once he's back home, he'd most likely be sent back out with the opposite orders: pick as many fights as possible. That's just ridiculous.

Yes, he's a bit of a pain in the ass and he insists on following orders to the letter, but that's hardly unique in any armed force.

True, all of it. SVT is a lost cause...

And in regards to Hoffman, yeah, he came across as an extremely professional but green officer. Once he gets some experience under his belt he'll be a smashing CO.

Tags
2018, das boot, remake, typ viic