SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-19, 07:22 PM   #1
UglyMowgli
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default French movie action drama on a SSN : Le chant du Loup (The Wolf's Call)

A young man has the rare gift of recognizing every sound he hears. On board a French nuclear submarine, everything rests on him, the Golden Ear. Known as infallible, he makes an error that puts the crew in danger of death. He wants to regain the confidence of his comrades but his quest drives them into an even more dramatic situation.
In the world of nuclear deterrence and misinformation, they find themselves trapped in an uncontrollable gear.

The Trailer in french.

the movie will be released in France in February and in 13 other country in 2019.
UglyMowgli is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-19, 04:03 AM   #2
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 2

A new trailer with a few different scenes from the teaser.
Let's hope it's a better, more intimate experience than Hunter Killer...

A lot of French specialized glossary, seems they had some reliable experts and some help from the French navy, crossing fingers!
Amiral Crapaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-19, 09:00 AM   #3
Prolands
Nub

Downloads: 0

Being currently in France I just watched it and immediately purchased a ticket for another day. It was amazing and I cannot recommend it enough - I pretty much created an account here to promote this movie (although I'm a long time lurker).

It is a highly technical, procedural almost, submarine movie, closest in flavour to Crimson Tide, although much more realistic. Some scenes were shot on actual French submarines and I found myself looking frequently at the setup in the control room. You'll find none of the recycled stock footage in this movie. It's either real subs or pretty good CGI. Great portrayal of how cramped attack subs are and how spacious the boomers look by comparison. I cant wait for it to be on VOD so I can pause and take in the juicy details, it's so rich. It is definitely a much more intimate experience than Hunter Killer, which the previous poster mentioned.

The plot focuses on sonar-man's work and the creators have done a wonderful job portraying the details of the profession and sounds that come along with it. I recommend watching this movie with headphones when it's released cause it's so beautifully done.

Below is a list of submarine warfare concepts that I've encountered - technical list only, no movie plot, but as such it can still be a minor spoiler!

- Boomers and attack subs
- Passive and active sonar (and the displays make sense)
- Turns per knot analysis
- Solution plotting
- Rigging ship for ultraquiet
- Special forces retrieval (and their gear is actually realistic)
- Submarine communications (different kinds)
- Battle stations procedures
- Nuclear launch authorisation procedures
- Navigation instrument's calibration
- Dipping sonar
- Depth charges
- DICASS sonobuoys
- Torpedo wires
In fact the movie is so technical that without previous background it would be impossible to understand a large part of it. They had great experts working on this. Of course it's not without it's flaws and some elements were a bit too "arcady" but it didn't detract from the experience.

To put it bluntly, mandatory watch for anyone registered or lurking on this forum! I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed if you are interested in contemporary submarine warfare!

Was quite surprised to see only two posts in this thread, I guess it must be due to the fact that it's quite difficult to get your hand's on this movie. I sure hope some of you do see it when/if it's on VOD services. Would be great to actually discuss it with someone!
Prolands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-19, 09:16 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Quote:
To put it bluntly, mandatory watch for anyone registered or lurking on this forum!
Prolands! A LITTLE Le chant du Loup
TO UNLURK A LURKER??!! I MARVEL AT WHAT BRINGS A OUR LONG TIME 'SILENT RUNNERS' TO THE SURFACE; THANKS FOR POSTING! OF COURSE THE BEST SUBMARINE MOVIE OF ALL TIME IS STILL MY FAVORITE:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 07:37 AM   #5
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

radar The Wolf's Call / Le Chant du loup (2019)

This looks really good! On Netflix and hopefully soon, Amazon.
https://www.netflix.com/title/81027187

Old 06-23-19, 09:26 AM   #6
Prolands
Nub

Oh my very spoily this trailer. I had a lot of fun just watching it without any previous background (but then again i never watch trailers on purpose). Only thing i knew was "its a French movie about modern subs" which is an instawatch anyway for me.

Oh and Aktung thanks for the recommendation, havent seen that one yet. Generally im a bit rusty with WW2 stuff. Feels like theres been a bit of content recently for uboat fans (be it movies, series and games) but theres been a bit of a draught in modern sub genre. Wolf's Call scratched that itch real good
Old 06-23-19, 12:35 PM   #7
Dakar23
Seaman

Downloads: 70

It's a very interesting and different movie. Very good.
Old 06-24-19, 09:39 AM   #8
bsub
Swabbie

Downloads: 16
Default Explanation of some terms

In the movie they have some terms that are not explained.

Perhaps someone can help -

What does TUUM stand for?

What exactly are "magic points"

What is CIRA

Also -

Could an underwater swimmer survive that deep without being crushed by the weight of the water.
bsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-19, 10:43 AM   #9
jaop99
Loader

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsub View Post
In the movie they have some terms that are not explained.

Perhaps someone can help -

What does TUUM stand for?

What exactly are "magic points"

What is CIRA

Also -

Could an underwater swimmer survive that deep without being crushed by the weight of the water.
TUUM= looks like is the modern version of the old AN/WQC-2, or Gertrude, is an underwater telephone to be used in short distances

I don't know why they need a "magic point" to launch a ballistic missile against a country that is thousand miles away, anyway, could be a place where there is no sensors, or out of satellite coverage, or something similar

I forgot the part when they use CIRA acronysm in the film

The last question is yes but almost impossible, they first equalized the external pressure, then opened the external hatch, the problem is that you can't go up quickly because you have to release the extra air in the lungs and descompress in order to avoid the extra nitrogen and inert gasses in your body, usually you can do that at less than 80 meters with stops at differents depths to avoid decompression sickness

http://www.scubadiverinfo.com/2_divetables.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decompression_(diving)
jaop99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-19, 11:56 AM   #10
Prolands
Nub

CIRA stands for "Le centre d'interprétation et de reconnaissance acoustique", so a naval institute devoted to interpretation of acoustic signals As such the main character belongs to that unit and the top officer that scolds him after he comes ashore for wrong classification is his boss.

To answer the question about magic points:

It was because the boomer's captain (Grandchamp) would do things by the book and "would try to limit civilian casualties". I can only assume their target was of military nature, located next to a civilian centre of population.
Oh and TUUM is indeed an underwater telephone as Jaop mentioned, a "digital underwater communication system". It's produced by Thales, you can find the data sheet here.
Old 06-24-19, 01:01 PM   #11
bsub
Swabbie

Thanks for the answers, but I am still confused about magic points.

It seems that the captain didn't want to surface to get an exact reading of where the sub was located - I assume by GPS.

So did he go to a magic point underwater to get a bearing, or is the magic point just a point on a map that would ensure the missile had range to reach the target. I did notice that he did a scan of the ocean floor. Could you correlate that to a bearing.
Old 06-24-19, 01:30 PM   #12
bsub
Swabbie

Did some more research - it used hydrographics - a 3d scan of ocean floor and then matched results with known scan to get exact bearing - like ship ID books for the ocean floor.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-27-19, 10:05 PM   #13
gumbeauregard
Seaman

I enjoyed this movie for its portrayal of the submarine and its crew.

The plot is pretty silly with some huge holes but all is forgiven for the excellent job with the crew and submarine interior scenes.

Magic points are an interesting idea. I am not sure how a boomer could know its position over sea floor terrain without using an active sensor to "look"

But then the idea that the nuclear missiles need to be launched from a precisely known position in order to be more accurate to prevent civilian casualties is a bit silly on the face of it.

The entire premise of nuclear deterrence is retaliatory strikes against the civilian population of the opponent.
gumbeauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-19, 02:02 AM   #14
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar23 View Post
It's a very interesting and different movie. Very good.
Ditto. Just watched it. Very good story, totally different.
Old 06-28-19, 03:35 AM   #15
US IRON
Nub

Default INS

RE
< Magic points are an interesting idea. I am not sure how a boomer could know its position over sea floor terrain without using an active sensor to "look">

I know zero about real world submarine navigation and I suppose it is classified, but Inertial Navigation Systems INS have been around for decades. It was standard on the 747 and other airliners before Satellite GPS. Using sensitive gyroscopes and acceleromotors (force sensors) which calculate distances, velocities and accelerations a submarine would know its position fairly accurately without need of any external references, except some initialisation point when setting the system initially and checking its accuracy. On aircraft the initialisation point on startup is the gate which is a known coordinate. Maybe they utilise magnetic fields as well?

I expect all submarines would have back-up systems like this to cross-check with other more accurate systems. I have no-idea what a magic point is.
US IRON is offline   Reply With Quote