SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-07, 10:11 AM   #1
wingsnwheels
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
How do I order objectives,triggers and events?

Hi, I'm trying to create a mission where the player is ordered to got to a bay in the Philippines. Once he arrives at the zone he is ordered to pick up a spy in a lifeboat.
Having done that he has to take him to a zone about 100km away and meet a destroyer and hand him over.
Please can someone explain how I do the following?
(a) Not let the skipper know about the pickup until he reaches the bay. (i.e not show objective on mission orders until told)
(b) Not let him know about the rendezvous with the DD until the spy has been picked up.
(c) Call mission a failure if he doesn't reach the rendezvous zone by a certain time or a completion if he does.
I guess it's down to objectives, triggers and events but in what order do they take effect?
I've done several missions that work well so understand the basics, it's just a bit more complicated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-07, 04:09 PM   #2
Snacko
Engineer

Downloads: 58

I see you've got now replies yet. So, I'll tell you what I've found out...

I wanted to just spawn a new ship at a certain point when an trigger occured. Here's the thread. But I was told it was just too difficult, so I gave up that idea.

If you find out how to get events/triggers to work, let us know.....
Old 07-15-07, 06:17 AM   #3
wingsnwheels
Nub

Thanks Snacko, I'm still working on it with only minor success as yet. If I work it out I'll post it.
Old 07-24-07, 10:16 AM   #4
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

I have been messing with patrol objectives, and some have a mission, then a "d" version.

Ie: Patrol Carolines 01.mis and 01d.mis. I cannot for the life of me figure out what calls the d version.

tater
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 05:32 AM   #5
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snacko
I wanted to just spawn a new ship at a certain point when an trigger occured. Here's the thread. But I was told it was just too difficult, so I gave up that idea.

If you find out how to get events/triggers to work, let us know.....
AFAIK the sh3 forum concluded that a ship will not spawn within visual sight of you but must be over the horizon. the problem they had was to find the damn thing after it spawned to confirm that it was there lol. sh4 is probly the same way.

one smart guy put a picket line of ships to follow till he found the ship spawned where he wanted it and then deleted the picket line afterwards. a real PITA but it can be done.
Old 09-24-07, 02:29 PM   #6
hellish
Watch

Default spawns and triggers

i have a manusl that can explain how to set them up
hellish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-07, 05:27 PM   #7
tater
Navy Seal

I believe ships won't spawn in random groups inside the render distance (20nm).

Oddly, Their contact reports WILL, I think.

tater
Old 09-26-07, 06:09 PM   #8
tater
Navy Seal

I've yet to make any ships appear that wouldn't appear otherwise.

Any ideas?

Ie:

I make a time trigger, say march 1, 1943.

I have 2 events triggered at the time. The first even is a message. Easy.

The second is an "Update Instance."

I tell it to spawn the group CV TF.

What group properties does CV TF need?

If I set the TF to spawn march 3d, for example, that's when it spawns. If I didn't have the trigger, it would STILL spawn the 3d, so the trigger does nothing. I'd have expected that when the time trigger happened the 1st, the group would have spawned early.

Alternately, it seems like I could set the spawning to "-1" and it would NEVER spawn, but if the trigger was set it should spawn anyway.

Anyone grok this?

tater
Old 10-09-07, 12:34 PM   #9
hellish
Watch

Default spawning ships

if you are going to spawn a ship, 1st you have to right click on the map where you want the ship to start. Very important, ships wont spawn if they are closer than 20nm. This can make a slight trip in the game. go thru the properties and select the ship or ships you want in the random group. Now at the towards the bottom of the properties you will see a box call spawn or spawning interval. defaul is set at 24 hours, means you will have to wait 24 hours for it to spawn. set it down to 1 hour. Now make the group entrance date and time. If you mission starts at 8:00 and you want the ship to spawn at 8:10 then the group entry time has to be set at 7:10. hope this helps. also you will see group instances, i tink its set at 1000, so it will spawn a 1000 times then stop. I had a problem setting it at 1 so I did it at 10 and it was fine. I think because it counts the hours till start time so if started at 8, it has spawned 8 times already? also you can set the amount of ships that will spawn. then set your trigger for time and make an event objective instance select the random group and ad the trigger to that event. Also you dont have to go look for the ship when it generates. go to your map F3, and bring up your clock. when you see the time has come for them to spawn, you should see a blue or black line towards the group that has spawned. I have a map I've made, its called behind you, you can get it here http://hosted.filefront.com/ddmobiltv/
Old 10-09-07, 04:58 PM   #10
tater
Navy Seal

I'm wondering how that would work in a campaign (which is my concern).

Because I'd not have the slightest clue when the player would set off the trigger. If the random group has to be planned to spawn at 8:11 or something, there is no need for the trigger.

tater
Old 10-10-07, 09:18 AM   #11
hellish
Watch

Default spawning

if the ship you want spawned by time then you dont need a trigger. If you want the ship destroyed to spawn another group then add a unit destroyed trigger, then an objective instance, add trgger and you should be good