SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-04-09, 01:43 PM   #46
virtualpender
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 281
Uploads: 0

Captain America - I love you, man.
virtualpender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 01:44 PM   #47
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I know we discussed getting pics for the Torsk but I will not be there this weekend. I did find the wardroom. This will give you an idea of this room. To reduce clutter just put in a cribbage board, cards, cig pack and ash tray.

Old 09-04-09, 01:54 PM   #48
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Yeo's office:

Old 09-04-09, 02:10 PM   #49
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

WOW! That is a masterpiece! Keep up the great work.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 09:32 PM   #50
Captain America
Planesman

Downloads: 149

@All -Thanks for the nice comments!

@AVGWarhawk – Nice pics and thank you again for your help. I’m definitely taking you up on your offer. Just curious, but that pic of the wardroom you posted is interesting…that paneling is not original from ‘44, right? It must have been upgraded when she undergone modifications in the 50/60’s ?

Ok help time…

I’m in the process of texturing certain parts of the interior. I have reached a point where I am a little unsure as how to proceed. I realized I was originally going about it all wrong by basing the textures on the present day restored condition rather than what it would have looked like out of the factory over 50 yrs. ago. Some of the wwii subs on display today have been painted so many times over the years that a lot of detail/accents have been lost.

Most restored examples I have seen have used grey paint over most of the surfaces (cabinets, tabletops, etc).

Then I found this pic of the USS Cero during 1943:
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/i...000/k15541.jpg

And these pictures too:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9Lh6jUpy8U...h/101_0059.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9Lh6jUpy8U...h/101_0065.JPG

Based on photos like these it’s obvious they left most of the stainless steel in its raw unpainted form.

Some questions arise:

How much of the interior should I texture stainless steel? Some of the pics would lead me to believe it was everywhere. How about the staterooms? What gets painted grey? I was hoping someone could shed some light on how the material was finished during its day.

AVGWarhawk, any idea?

I know to some it seems like no big deal, but details like this are important to me because I want to stay true to the original look.
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 10:08 PM   #51
donut
The Old Man

Downloads: 10
Thoughts

Shipboard interior decorators were men. Anything needing to be kept clean was stainless. Bulkheads/sidewalls off white paint. Dark green vinyl is correct, just wipe it down low maint.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-09, 03:55 PM   #52
Captain America
Planesman

Thanks Donut. Seems logical plus stainless is great for its antibacterial properties. But I need more specifics...I want to make sure before I put this eveywhere. I'm sold on the wardroom and pantry, but how about the staterooms? I have yet to see a photo of one to confirm it. IMO, it would seem weird to have all those shiny surfaces where you sleep.
Old 09-05-09, 05:26 PM   #53
donut
The Old Man

Downloads: 10
Junior Officers stateroom USS Cod

Notice three high racks, one desk, vertical lockers,to hang uniforms.Officers country was light green paint shown. also,>>http://www.military-collections.com/pampanito1.html<< More modern, but simular

Officers' stateroom

The next area aft on your left is the three-man officers' stateroom. The officers shared an upright closet, a desk and each had one drawer in the wardrobe unit. A fold down panel on the front of the unit became a shelf for writing. A Pullman type sink completes the amenities.

Last edited by donut; 09-05-09 at 06:02 PM.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-09, 06:13 PM   #54
Captain America
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut View Post
Notice three high racks, one desk, vertical lockers,to hang uniforms.Officers country was light green paint shown. also,>>http://www.military-collections.com/pampanito1.html

The paint is off-white...its just that photo that has a hue of green to it. If you look at the other pics you'll see it's yellow/off-white. It is my understanding that only surface ships did the whole "officer's green" thing and the subs were exempt from it. Makes sense considering the layout of the compartments.

I know what objects to put in the staterooms. The problem is the texturing/materials. Unfortunately that pic does not confirm if it was kept stainless during her maiden years; instead they have that grey paint common in all of the restored photos.

Edit: I didn't see that second pic. Nice one, I like the angle, Thanks! It will come in handy when modeling that room.

Ok, I see some stainless in that pic. Its seems to be on the trim and on the bed sidewalls but thats it. The cabinets and other objects appear to be painted. Hmmm....
Old 09-07-09, 06:37 PM   #55
Nbjackso
Navy Dude

Downloads: 448
Uploads: 18
Default 0's country on the Pampanito

Capt. A,

Check out this link.

http://www.maritime.org/tour/fbc.php?pano=fl

Most of what you are modding is shown in a 3D virtual tour. I was in the Nav back in the early 80's and I've toured the USS Pampanito myself. My impression was they very accurately restored the boat's interior as for a color schemes go. I hope this helps

Just get me within 1000 yards,
and I'll d
o the rest
Nbjackso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 09:50 AM   #56
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
@AVGWarhawk – Nice pics and thank you again for your help. I’m definitely taking you up on your offer. Just curious, but that pic of the wardroom you posted is interesting…that paneling is not original from ‘44, right? It must have been upgraded when she undergone modifications in the 50/60’s ?
Possible. I'm not sure to be honest. We have that light green paint like the COD throughout the boat. Officer's Country is actually a tan color and perhaps it was changed to tan to match the faux wood panel. At any rate, I would keep on with the green you are using presently.

Look at my post #48 in this thread. The wall behind the typewriter is tan. This is what the hall looks like as well as the other quarters. As for the wardroom this has only the wood grain. I guess to make it more home like. Who knows.

Just like some other mods, I believe you can use your artistic license on the colors here.
Old 09-09-09, 01:56 AM   #57
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default re

Great work Captain America, really.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 06:52 AM   #58
Nuc
Planesman

Downloads: 100

Looking really good! I think you can take as much license as you want with the lay out and textures. I would use the period photos as the best reference. As noted earlier the restored boats have changed significantly over the years both while in service and afterwards. If you look at the original building plans for a Gato you can see that they called for only two berth in each stateroom (including the CO's). The CO's stateroom was on the port side forward of the goat locker. There was a store room across from the pantry

Old 09-09-09, 02:47 PM   #59
Captain America
Planesman

I want to really try not to use my "artistic license" because I'm trying to model the interior according to her original wwii condition. I don't mind making some compromises though for areas that lack proper sources.

The colors aren't an issue for me. The main detail I'm trying to figure out is how much of the stainless steel to leave raw/unpainted vs how much gets painted grey. I'm still working on figuring this out but I have an overall idea as to how I am going to approach it.

@ Nuc
Where have you been! This type of info is very important to me. When I started the project I tried searching for blueprints/plans but couldn't find any of officer's country. I had to do all of the scaling by eye with the aid of certain objects for reference such as the height of the crewman models.

Presently, besides the textures, I'm working on some scaling issues with the interior that Ducimus brought to my attention. If I had plans from the beginning this whole thing would have been much easier. Nuc, where did you find this? Do you have any more info? If you do please share as this would really help the process! With access to plans, I don't mind re-adjusting the whole compartment again to get the scaling right.
Old 09-09-09, 02:54 PM   #60
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

The Torsk does not have to much raw stainless steel. Then again, she went well into a service life with many layers of paint to show for it. If you look at the wardroom picture you mentioned with the faux wood panels on the Torsk, that is pretty much as you see it. There is not much raw stainless steel. The pantry is all stainless steel. The bunks have a drawer for storage under them. These are raw stainless steel. Other than that, a lot of the small doors to storage areas in the walls are painted.