SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-25-15, 12:53 PM   #196
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy
......go to the Museum and find the American Avenger plane introduced by RSRDC. Watch it for more than a couple of minutes. It flies fine at first but, slowly the nose will rise, then straight into the sea!

I'm wanting to set the record straight regarding my remarks of the RSRDC Avenger, in either v550 and v575. What I said is total BS!! It goes to show talking from "memory" is never a good thing.

Upon further review of what I said.....the Museum's RSRDC Avenger flies as expected, straight and level until it gets to its turn point, abruptly turns left about 90 degrees (compared to the sun position) at around 5 minutes into its flight. Then flies straight and true for another 5 minutes, making another 90 degree left turn to continue its pre set Museum flight. This is with SH4 v1.5, RSRDC v550, and its Patch1 v5xx. I'm convinced I was wrong in my statement regarding its dive into the sea.

I'm not wrong in having this happen. My experience was while using the Avenger with SH4 v1.4. A completely different animal!! I'll admit I'm working with adding planes to a version of Day of Infamy for v1.4 of the game. The issue has since been resolved due to some missing files that SH v1.4 requires that the original Avenger didn't have. This is where my memory mixed up the conclusion that one would see the Avenger fail....not with v1.5, but with v1.4 of the game. My apologies!! I have no excuse except for not checking my conclusion before stating it.

Although my other comments are correct......You'll get CTD's within the Museum with some of the RSRDC units, plus some of the planes don't have sound (like the Corsair).

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-15, 10:02 PM   #197
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I'm wanting to set the record straight regarding my remarks of the RSRDC Avenger, in either v550 and v575. What I said is total BS!! It goes to show talking from "memory" is never a good thing.

My apologies!! I have no excuse except for not checking my conclusion before stating it.
Don't worry about it. I forget, or misremember, details of this stuff all the time.

I have noticed the missing engine sounds on a number of a/c. As far as museum crashes, I haven't had any lately, but I know I used to have them. It might have been an earlier version of the game. I'll have to try to go through them again.

I have a general question for WWII aviation buffs around here. In the game, most Japanese bombers are not 'level bombers', meaning they will make steep diving attacks. All bombers in the game, even fighter-bombers, have a 'level bomber', True or False switch. There really is no in-between. I tried to dampen the angle of the dives, but without success. Betty and Mavis bombers will dive like Vals, when they attack.

The question is would it make more sense to have a/c like the Betty, Mavis, or Nell as 'level bombers'?

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-15, 10:36 PM   #198
TorpX
Silent Hunter

I'd hoped to be finished with this before today, but it's been slow and tedious work.

I copied a lot of values into particular aircraft files, yesterday. Today when I went to fire up the game, it promptly crashed. After investigating the issue for about an hour, I narrowed the issue down to the *.cfg files. I edited all these, because there is the maximum and minimum speeds that I changed, but this wasn't the cause. What crashed the game was a short comment I put after the "ClassName", so the type/name of each aircraft was clear. Too many of these ships and a/c have cryptic designations. I had to go into each file and place the comment at the end of the file.

Anyway, comments near the top of the file seem to cause problems. They are ok at the end, though.

I fixed the sound issue of the A6M2 'Zero'. Not sure how many a/c have this problem. The *.dsd file had a string for a Zero, but no such sound file exists. I changed it to one for a Hurricane, which does.

As far as aircraft maneuverability goes, I don't think much can be done about it. The rudder and wing drag values have no discernible effect, and I doubt the LR and UD drag values have any either. About the only thing I can use is the engine power and max force parameters, and this is hardly sufficient. Perhaps the usual drag values have no effect because the unit is not in the water. Of course, this makes them useless for a/c.

I am wondering if the SH3 a/c are this messed up.
Old 11-28-15, 02:24 AM   #199
TorpX
Silent Hunter

I think I've fixed the engine sound issues. They all seem to be the result of pointers referring to non-existent sound files. There are a very limited number of a/c engine sounds, so it is a simple matter to pick the best one. Oddly, some of them seemed like poor choices, so I made some changes. The had the 'Mavis' with the sound of the Sunderland, which is ok, but then had the Sunderland with a B-24 sound! There are only two single engine fighter sounds; the Hurricane, and the Mess. Bf109. No Zero, or Wildcat. I guess it shows what Ubi likes best.

I actually managed to get the Kates' torpedoes to drop and run by relabeling some things. I had to use the external cam and stop the action to make sure they just didn't disappear in the water, or get stuck in the sand. For some reason, they just go through the ships without exploding, no visible wake, either. Somebody must know how to fix this. There is a Air_Torpedo_JP.zon file with the damage parameters, but something is interfering with the function.

What is just as interesting about this, is that now the Kates will fly lower, slower, and drop the torps before getting too close. I only need this one last piece of the puzzle to make them work.

I know there have been similar game bugs before. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-28-15, 01:42 PM   #200
xXNightEagleXx
Planesman

Downloads: 148
Uploads: 0

TorpX, maybe you can help me out. I've tried this mod and i liked it (both tmo and rfb). What i didn't like was the fact that all equipment specs has gone, is there any way to fix it? This happen with any version of ISP that i have tried.

thx
xXNightEagleXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-15, 11:01 PM   #201
TorpX
Silent Hunter

I went through the UPCLocalization.tsr file, using WinMerge to compare to the RFB 2.0 file. I couldn't really see what might cause the problem, so I just copied over most of the RFB portions that appeared different. That should fix it, but I'm not going to test every class/version of boat.

I've incorporated various small changes that aren't really physics things, in this version. I have used, or intend to use them in my game, and don't see any real benefit to having them in separate mods. I'll outline what they are, so if someone doesn't like them, they can take them out, with a little work.

I was hoping someone would know how to fix the air torpedo business. I hate to be this close to having a working air dropped torpedo, and have to write it off, but I'm going to release the next version soon, one way or another. I made a mission for US torpedo bombers, to see if they worked. They don't even show up with a torpedo, so no help there.

Everytime I close look at a part of this game, I come away disgusted that it is such a mess. If there were 9 easy ways, and one hard way to do something, you can bet they did it the hard way. There are so many inconsistencies, even in the things that work, it is hard to know where to go to fix an issue. I don't really know why the air torpedoes are in a separate file. Why didn't they put them all in one file? Are they fundamentally different? What triggers the explosion?
Old 11-30-15, 06:29 PM   #202
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
I'm trying to finish the next version of ISP. I, perhaps foolishly, decided to take a look at the aircraft.
That's a symptom of the modding disease. "I'll just take a look here" and then next thing you know you're elbow deep in it again.

Finally got SH4 running, going to do a couple of installs, one will be for RFB, so looking forward to plugging your mod in.

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 01:22 AM   #203
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swdw View Post
That's a symptom of the modding disease. "I'll just take a look here" and then next thing you know you're elbow deep in it again.
You're not kidding.

I wish I could say there were dramatic improvements in this version, but the truth is that many of the things I worked on, either hit a brick wall, or only produced modest improvements. I felt there were some things that I needed to fix, though.

Old 12-01-15, 11:24 AM   #204
xXNightEagleXx
Planesman

I have an update about the upgrade specs issue. With TMO+RSRDC+OTC+ISP 2.6 the problem doesn't show up. However with RFB + ISP 1.1 or RFB+RSRDC+ISP 2.15 the problem shows up.

Diggin' around lead me to find some difference that might explain what is going on. Taking for example the SJ-1 Radar

RFB UPCLocalization :

SJ-1 Radar=SJ-1 Radar
SJ1RadarInfo=SJ-1 Radar|Type: ...
SJ1RadarNotes=SJ-1 is an improvement on the ...

WCAInfo=WCA Sonar|Type: ....
WCANotes=WCA sonar is a combination....

ISP UPCLocaliation :

SJ-1 Radar=SJ-1 Radar
SJ-1RadarInfo= SJ-1 Radar|Effective Range:....
SJ-1RadarNotes=An improved....

WCAHydroInfo=WCA Listening Gear|Max Range: ....
WCAHydroNotes=An early war ultrasonic passive ....

As a counterproof i made the changes below to ISP UPCLocalization and everything started to work fine (in those which i changed) :

SJ-1RadarInfo to SJ1RadarInfo
Improved SD Radar to ImpSDRadarInfo

UPDATE: I ended up creating a mod that fixes both UPCLocalization and UpgradePacks files. I fixed all info that i could by using RFB 2.0 as spec limits guide.

Last edited by xXNightEagleXx; 12-01-15 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-01-15, 01:21 PM   #205
xXNightEagleXx
Planesman

TorpX, let me ask you. Are you working on ISP update for RFB ?
Old 12-02-15, 05:43 AM   #206
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXNightEagleXx View Post
TorpX, let me ask you. Are you working on ISP update for RFB ?
Yes, the forthcoming version will be for RFB and RSRDC. I am not planning any TMO versions, it is just too much work.

Thank-you for taking an interest in this.

I have been busy today backtracking to isolate some mysterious bugs that were causing CTD when loading the museum. It isn't clear why, but after much frustration and trial and error, most things in the museum seem to work. CapnScurvy said that if it crashes in the museum, it will in the game, too. However, I've had museum crashes with the S-18 and S-42, but they are ok in game.

The main outstanding problem as far as the museum goes, is one version of the Betty. There are three in RSRDC. I don't understand why there are 3. I can understand 2, because you want a separate torpedo version, but the way it is in RSRDC makes no sense to me. I am wondering if one got left in inadvertently.

This is probably not related, but I've noticed that the US subs in the museum do not have deck guns. I suppose they have always been like that, but I never really used it before.

I have made sure all the aircraft *.dsd files have existing sound files referenced. This has fixed about half of the silent a/c, but some remain silent (in the museum, lol). Don't know why. If it is some intricate business with the id mapping, then it's beyond me.

These are the Bettys:

ADB_G4M_Betty ...............torpedo (only?) version
the 'ADB' implies dive bomber, though????

ALBS_G4M_Betty ...............no torpedo

ALBS_G4M2 ........................torpedo or bombs

Right now, the top one is causing a museum crash.
Old 12-03-15, 12:15 AM   #207
swdw
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
but the truth is that many of the things I worked on, either hit a brick wall,
Brick wall?

Nah, couldn't be. the game designers were flawless

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
Old 12-06-15, 04:46 AM   #208
TorpX
Silent Hunter

A quick progress report:

I was looking at the *.cfg files of the ships and noticed that the mast heights seemed to be all over the place. RFB uses a system where the 'base height' is the deck, stack, or mast top, depending on the type of ship, and such. I never really liked this idea, and have been confused over which applies for a particular ship in the game. So, I am going change/correct this. This is a slow tedious process, however. I am using S3D to measure the actual dimensions of the game models, so I know for sure what they should be. I don't trust that the supposed mast heights agree with these. This program is invaluable, but also crashes a lot on my machine. I guess it's a Widows thing.

I have managed to get all the aircraft to make engine sounds. The last two seemed to have corrupted *.dsd files, the problem being fixed with new files for those. I am not crazy about the quality of the engine sounds, though. Some seem more like they are coming from a toy airplane than a WWII fighter aircraft, but it's better than having them silent like gliders.

After this, I will probably try fix one other thing, then if there are no problems in a final test, release it.

I am working very intensely to finish this, so everyone (and I) can use it over the holidays.
Old 12-06-15, 09:35 AM   #209
swdw
Grey Wolf

Do you need some engine sounds? I may still have some from when I used to mod Fighter Squadron: SDOE

I'll take a look if you need some

System:
Old 12-06-15, 10:21 AM   #210
Captain Dave
Officer

Downloads: 398
Uploads: 3

I've been reading your posts about aircraft doing weird things and came upon this on Oahu. Saw an icon that said slow moving so I checked it out. It's a B-24 with its wing tip touching the ground, engines revving, not going anywhere.

Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote