SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-11, 06:27 PM   #1
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11
Default Problems with Mission Editor?

I have been playing around with the ME to learn what it can do. I made a test mission to use as a 'sandbox' just to test various aspects of the editor/ game. This seemed to go well at first. I put in some anchored ships and an aircraft, had it looping around to provide continous air cover. So far, so good. Now, a few weeks later, I add some subs; an AI IJN sub, an AI USN, also a UK merchant. I have all sorts of waypoints, of course. The mission validates and saves, but when I load it into the game, the wheels come off. In the ME, they behave themselves and do as they should, in the game the subs do not move at all. I can surface and shell them, but they just sit there, until they sink. The merchant moves around in circles at random, as though they are looking for man overboard!

I have double checked waypoints and such, but this seems like either the ME or the game are messed up. Does anybody have any ideas here?
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 12:20 PM   #2
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
I have been playing around with the ME to learn what it can do. I made a test mission to use as a 'sandbox' just to test various aspects of the editor/ game. This seemed to go well at first. I put in some anchored ships and an aircraft, had it looping around to provide continous air cover. So far, so good. Now, a few weeks later, I add some subs; an AI IJN sub, an AI USN, also a UK merchant. I have all sorts of waypoints, of course. The mission validates and saves, but when I load it into the game, the wheels come off. In the ME, they behave themselves and do as they should, in the game the subs do not move at all. I can surface and shell them, but they just sit there, until they sink. The merchant moves around in circles at random, as though they are looking for man overboard!

I have double checked waypoints and such, but this seems like either the ME or the game are messed up. Does anybody have any ideas here?
Are you using subs that were specifically made into AI subs or are you just putting in regular/player subs and just not checking the box "Human Control"??
If you used normal subs, they will not work, they need to use a ship controller to move without human control.

Without seeing the mission I don't know why the ship goes in circles. Is it literally going in 'circles'? Some ships when attacked, or even if they only detect you, they do not follow their waypoints, they try to evade you, so they could go anywhere. And other ships and land in the area will affect where they go. You mentioned anchored ships, if you are in a harbor they may go all over the place, they will act strange if they are on a collision course with land or another ship.
After trying to evade you, they will eventually try to return to their original course.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 05:44 PM   #3
TorpX
Silent Hunter

They are the regular subs in the ME catalog. I'm running RFB-RSRDC if that makes any difference. I don't understand about the ship controller. What is that? I just put them in in the same manner as any enemy ship, waypoints and all. In the ME simulator they work fine. Shouldn't they work the same way in game?

You may be right about the one ship avoiding the subs and trying to evade, I will try changing it and see.
Old 05-01-11, 08:39 PM   #4
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
They are the regular subs in the ME catalog. I'm running RFB-RSRDC if that makes any difference. I don't understand about the ship controller. What is that? I just put them in in the same manner as any enemy ship, waypoints and all. In the ME simulator they work fine. Shouldn't they work the same way in game?

You may be right about the one ship avoiding the subs and trying to evade, I will try changing it and see.
No, regular subs don't do anything unless you are controlling it. The mission editor does not take things like that into account. It would be like having a ship with no propellers, the mission Editor wouldn't know that and they would appear to work in the editor but would not work in the game.
Regular subs use an cmdr_AIHumanSub, Human being the key word there. You must control it. There is also a Unit_Submarine controller. They are both in the submarine.sim file. So you can clone a sub and change the AIHumanSub to AIShip and change the sub sensors to ship sensors and give it a new name etc (if you know how to clone a sub) and you will have a sub that will move and follow waypoints.

They have AIAirplane, AIship, AIMerchant but NO AISub, only an AIHumanSub. And as Ducimus pointed out in a post, the sensors also have to be changed or they cause problems.
There is an AIFleetboat sub in TMO and a AIJapsub in FOTRS but I don't know about RFB. If you check the AIFleetboat.sim file with S3D you will see AIHumanSub has been replaced by AIShip.

Here is the link I was looking for, Ducimus gives a good explanation of changing sensors and why. And Polyfiller give a good explanation of making it an AIship, without getting wordy as I tend to do.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=179328

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 12:29 AM   #5
TorpX
Silent Hunter

OK, I get the idea now.

Changing this is maybe beyond me, but at least I know why its not working now. Thanks for the info, Peabody.
Old 07-28-12, 07:52 AM   #6
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

There is a Sen Toku jap sub mod you can add, it works well for traffic, I don't know that anyone has made a US sub that works.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote