SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-06-06, 10:02 AM   #721
Jamie
Sonalysts Inc.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
Thanks guys. I wish things were better for us. DW is going to be around for a while, but I'm afraid that SCS's mismanagement or lack of attention or both has cost this community too much in terms of quality people who want to believe in what has been a fundamentally good product from 688i onward, but are given absolutely no reason to by the developers.
Update on the SCS forums...
http://www.sonalystscombatsims.com/p...hp?p=5288#5288

Progress on patch v1.04 has not ceased, it is just moving at a snail's pace due to paying work from government customers. Take that as you will.

Thanks,
- Jamie
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-06, 01:10 AM   #722
Bellman
Sea Lord

Downloads: 220

Was that a nod or a wink ?

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
Bellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-06, 05:26 AM   #723
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

More like a consoling pat on the back.
Old 09-07-06, 06:49 AM   #724
Jamie
Sonalysts Inc.

No, it is what it is... I always try to be honest with the community and that's what I did.

It's not over yet, but sometimes we all need to partake in a "dose of reality" so that people can gain perspective when it is sorely needed.

If anyone that needs consoling, Molon Labe, it's me. No one wanted DW to succeed more than I did.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-06, 11:16 AM   #725
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
No, it is what it is... I always try to be honest with the community and that's what I did.

It's not over yet, but sometimes we all need to partake in a "dose of reality" so that people can gain perspective when it is sorely needed.

If anyone that needs consoling, Molon Labe, it's me. No one wanted DW to succeed more than I did.
I hope you can get the funding to continue the work and to give the genre the progress it deserves.
Old 09-07-06, 11:25 AM   #726
Bellman
Sea Lord

Rather than beeing explicit in attempting to read between the lines sufficient to compare the position of Xavius software.

The community has eagerly awaited the release of ATC 2 for years and it has been announced that the development has been shelved. Here also we are told that the project has had to give way to the commercial imperative of catering for the professional market. There are other examples, where this mantra is becoming repetitive, from which it is reasonable to infer that there may well be additional hidden pressures at play. We should expect and accept that we live in a very dangerous world and ultimately decisions must be taken about the security of certain aspects of available software.

Expect strong denials - software houses have a delicate juggling act to perform in maintaining their customer bases whilst under pressures to haul in their sails or at least keep them well trimmed.

Last edited by Bellman; 09-07-06 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-19-06, 08:59 PM   #727
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

I'm considering several options that will allow me to do a version of LWAMI with the advanced torpedo controls without having to mess with the parts of the engine that are really bothering me.

The LWAMI 4.xx ATC demo that I released is in fact a fully working version of the game. The only thing that prevents it from being an "official" LWAMI Mod is that 1)it lacks any kind of proper documentation 2) it has the same helo bugs as LWAMI 3.02 and there are a lot of extra things I want to add.

In other words, I'm thinking of doing a few extra things to the demo and writing a readme for it and releasing it, hopefully soon. I'll keep you guys posted on what I'm going to do.

For my part, and I suspect Amizaur's, the Advanced Torpedo Controls really represent the "creative work" that we have done on the sim, all the other changes are really mechanical, or covering up bugs, work that was previously much more interesting, as it helped us figure out the sim... and now that we have a good grasp on what's going on, it really just becomes an ugly landscape. Not to give the impression that DW is not a good piece of software, it is very good... but that makes the rough spots all that more hard to deal with, because they could be fixed so easily with some moderate level of attention.

Cheers,
David
Old 09-20-06, 11:23 AM   #728
SaxMan
Swabbie

Downloads: 4
Default LWAMI Mods

Luftwolf,

I just wanted to thank you (and all the other contributors as well) for all the hard work you've put into the Mod. People like you really take the game to a new level, and it wouldn't be half of what it is without your efforts.

Old 09-20-06, 12:37 PM   #729
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxMan
Luftwolf,

I just wanted to thank you (and all the other contributors as well) for all the hard work you've put into the Mod. People like you really take the game to a new level, and it wouldn't be half of what it is without your efforts.

Seconded. Modding can be a thankless job, and you've certainly put in a lot of work to deserve a lot of credit. Thanks for all your efforts to make DW as good as it can be.
Old 09-20-06, 05:00 PM   #730
Driftwood
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxMan
Luftwolf,

Seconded. Modding can be a thankless job, and you've certainly put in a lot of work to deserve a lot of credit. Thanks for all your efforts to make DW as good as it can be.
THIRDED!
Old 09-23-06, 10:07 AM   #731
Bellman
Sea Lord

Many thanks for all your work.

Old 09-25-06, 08:56 PM   #732
Driftwood
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
I'm considering several options that will allow me to do a version of LWAMI with the advanced torpedo controls without having to mess with the parts of the engine that are really bothering me.

The LWAMI 4.xx ATC demo that I released is in fact a fully working version of the game. The only thing that prevents it from being an "official" LWAMI Mod is that 1)it lacks any kind of proper documentation 2) it has the same helo bugs as LWAMI 3.02 and there are a lot of extra things I want to add.

In other words, I'm thinking of doing a few extra things to the demo and writing a readme for it and releasing it, hopefully soon. I'll keep you guys posted on what I'm going to do.

For my part, and I suspect Amizaur's, the Advanced Torpedo Controls really represent the "creative work" that we have done on the sim, all the other changes are really mechanical, or covering up bugs, work that was previously much more interesting, as it helped us figure out the sim... and now that we have a good grasp on what's going on, it really just becomes an ugly landscape. Not to give the impression that DW is not a good piece of software, it is very good... but that makes the rough spots all that more hard to deal with, because they could be fixed so easily with some moderate level of attention.

Cheers,
David
LW, On the ATC, did you ever get the 3rd and 4th Enable clicks working? 3rd click would send the torp into a single circle right and the 4th click a single circle left.
Old 09-27-06, 05:38 PM   #733
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Yep, the whole ATC mod works almost perfectly.

I've almost come to a decision about what I'm going to do. Incidentially, the ATC Demo also has a perfectly working SLAM-ER with ASuW function. Just set the last waypoint as the enable point over water (or set it over land for the missile to operate in Strike mode as before).

Cheers,
David
Old 09-27-06, 05:47 PM   #734
Driftwood
Chief

LW, forgive me for being a little on the dense side (I've slept since I downloaded these mods ) I've got 4.0, 4. V101, and Playtest One. Which one is the most complete/current one?
Old 09-28-06, 05:32 PM   #735
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

The most current version is available at this link: www.commanders-academy.com/luftwolf/LWAMI4_Playtest_101_NoReadme.zip .

Most notably, it has the ATC and Physics, updated UUV with more plausible sonar and advanced controls (enable button=speed control, preenable=depth control, passive sonar always on, no active mode [because of hardcoded DW 1.03 bug]), and the multirole SLAM-ER, plus all the other good stuff from LWAMI 3.02.

Also, it has a cadre of new playable hulls added for the existing classes, as well as an update to the SW sonar systems to better reflect its actual capabilities (forward looking hull sonar, basically...).

I really ought to get this out in some good version... but I just have no steam left (no pun intended) to make changes that will take a lot of time but may just have to be done over (if SCS corrects the bugs themselves).

I'll try to make a decision in a few days or so... in the meantime, enjoy the ATC demo.

Cheers,
David

Last edited by LuftWolf; 09-28-06 at 05:34 PM.
LuftWolf is offline   Reply With Quote