SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-08-14, 04:37 AM   #6796
johnboy47
Swabbie

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default question about french-language ships in game (bug)

Hi fellas, question here.

I just installed GWX on my new computer. I've decided to live with the stretched-screen as my new wide-screen monitor stretches things to widescreen (beyond my control). At least things are easier to see with the screen being so big.

However, there is another problem you guys might be able to help me with.

All ships in the game (not planes) and the 'flaggen' flag identifier pullout (just the pullout tab, not the whole page) are in French! It's the same way in the museum too.

Any clues on what to do? I have set my keyboard and text language to english, my spoken language to german (for realism). I have no idea what could be causing this.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

P.S. Like I said, this is on a brand-new install on a new machine. Except for the language issue, everything is perfect.
johnboy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 04:44 AM   #6797
Wreford-Brown
Sea Lord

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy47 View Post
Hi fellas, question here.

I just installed GWX on my new computer. I've decided to live with the stretched-screen as my new wide-screen monitor stretches things to widescreen (beyond my control). At least things are easier to see with the screen being so big.

However, there is another problem you guys might be able to help me with.

All ships in the game (not planes) and the 'flaggen' flag identifier pullout (just the pullout tab, not the whole page) are in French! It's the same way in the museum too.

Any clues on what to do? I have set my keyboard and text language to english, my spoken language to german (for realism). I have no idea what could be causing this.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

P.S. Like I said, this is on a brand-new install on a new machine. Except for the language issue, everything is perfect.
Any chance you've enabled the 'French fix' mod?

All my mods are available at MediaFire:
SH3 Mods
Other modders SH3 mods
SH4 Mods
...you can't please all of the people all of the time...
Wreford-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 05:49 AM   #6798
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreford-Brown View Post
Any chance you've enabled the 'French fix' mod?
Agreed.....Disable the 'GWX - Fix French' mod in JSGME.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 06:28 AM   #6799
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

There are a number of mods that come with GWX that should not be used unless you specifically need them: GWX - Alternative Flotillas, GWX - Black Sea Campaign Files Only, GWX - Merged Campaign, GWX - Indian Ocean Campaign Files Only are just a couple of examples. GWX - Indian Ocean Campaign Files Only, for example, will remove all traffic from the North Sea and ATO - every ship and plane is gone. If you're starting a game in 1939, you don't want that!

It is a good idea to know what each mod is supposed to do before you activate it. (Otherwise, how will you know that it is working?) The GWX manual has well-written descriptions of each mod, including when - and when not - to use them.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 02:25 PM   #6800
johnboy47
Swabbie

Downloads: 21
Default fix french - fixed!

Hi Fellas - you got me - that was the problem - I had fix french installed.

I had read the manual before regarding all of the new fixes, but getting my computer set up and everything...I basically rushed the installation and included that mod by mistake.

I'm now back on track - thanks for the tips.
johnboy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 08:01 AM   #6801
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy47 View Post
Hi Fellas - you got me - that was the problem - I had fix french installed.

I had read the manual before regarding all of the new fixes, but getting my computer set up and everything...I basically rushed the installation and included that mod by mistake.

I'm now back on track - thanks for the tips.
SINK EM ALL!!

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 12:52 PM   #6802
Nobon
Helmsman

Location: 1939-09-13. U-50 ran into a 10+ ship british convoy- I'm planning the approach
Downloads: 74
Uploads: 2
Default Torpedo damage. No flooding in many cases?

Greetings- Well, I've been read through the GWX 3.0 Gold documentation, and also their reminder about the old "stock" damage control, and they state, that few merchant ships need more than one torpedo, and few ships need more than two at all.

Well, I dont mind playing hard, but:

Granville-type merchant:
------------------------
After two magnetic impact T I. hit, (both left really big holes under-and-on-the-side, one of them is 1.8 meter below, the other is 0.8 meter below draft) It continued its course, a little slower, zig-zagging. After many hours of waiting, almost a day, in max. CT, I.. er... Managed to loose it, as I stared too mutch to the ship from a closed by camera, and the U-boot drifted away.. After changing view back to the U-boot, I wasnt able to find the ship anymore XD still, it never sank.

SMALL merchant:
------------------
As It seemed to me, that impact damage somewhat more effective in GWX O_o than magnetic, I tried that:

Ive hit the small merchant in several reloads with one torpedo, and started to wait. I never acquired any critical hit, so I reloaded the game last time, and hit the ship near its bow. (between bow, and middle line) then I've waited for like almost a day, When I started to RAM it. (rough waters, no gun) I managed to ram it near diagonally on 13-15 knots, at least five times, near the hole on its forepart, and all the times pushed its bow below waterline, as my U-Boot was actually on top of it...

Still no success, and flooding seemed not to affect it. As the same with the Granville before. So I finished it off with a second torpedo. Small merchant: two torpedo at least. .. Granville: needed more than two... These are rather SMALL merchants...

Another funny thing, maybe because the engine feels it as an accident, as no shots was fired to it earlier, but I managed to ram into a ship, not longer than the U-boot, propably a really small merchant, which instantly started to sink.
Blown up, and sank. But no entry in the captain's log I presume if I could manage to hit it first even with a single AA shell, it logs it.

It was not that mutch smaller than the small Merchant, which withstanded 5-6 well developed ram, after a torpedo hit...

So: My question is: what happened? Why I cant finish off even a small ship with one torpedo UNDER THE KEEL? ^^ or Why a 4000-4500 ton merchant needs 3 torpedo? I experienced many cases like this, I just doesnt know how to kill in GWX... And many times you dont have this mutch of a time, and chance to sink something... In reality, even the biggest merchants sunk via 1 torpedo, or maximum two.

Wheres the flooding? No clue after many many hours...

Usually I fire under the keel (draft) from 0.8 to 1.8 meters when magnetic, and I fire above the keel with 2-3 meters when Impacting.

87% realism (100%-Cams to watch burning targets, and torpedoes run for fun..)
SH5 The Wolves of Steel Megamod- Realnav+Full manual targeting. -no contact updates, no map help.
U-50 forever - still a Smiling bastard
Nobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 04:40 PM   #6803
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

So I have been reading a bit on all the mods to try and pick one as I get back into SH-3 after long leave.

On GWX I read that the AI is not very historic or it is too "anti German/pro American."

I just want historic.

Can anyone comment on this for me before I commit to a mod?

Thanks you.
Lanzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 07:15 PM   #6804
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'd love to know where you read that, because in all these years I've never seen it, or even heard of it. Some people feel that other mods are either more realistic, or better looking. I think GWX is the best balance between the two, but hardly "anti-German". I've enjoyed a great many hours playing it, and it's the one I always come back to.
Old 09-28-14, 03:10 AM   #6805
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobon View Post
So: My question is: what happened? Why I cant finish off even a small ship with one torpedo UNDER THE KEEL? ^^ or Why a 4000-4500 ton merchant needs 3 torpedo? I experienced many cases like this, I just doesnt know how to kill in GWX... And many times you dont have this mutch of a time, and chance to sink something... In reality, even the biggest merchants sunk via 1 torpedo, or maximum two.

Wheres the flooding? No clue after many many hours...
Well... Have a look at this, and a load of other sinking reports on the site. 1500 ton ship hit by two torpedoes and took a couple of hours to sink:

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/ships/1244.html

Sometimes the ships just wouldn't sink quickly, or even sink at all. The Royal Navy eventually sank some torpedoed and abandoned wrecks that would not sink otherwise, to avoid collisions on the busy sea lanes.

Theoretically magnetic shots under the keel should cause massive damage to even battle ships. GWX balances the thing nicely for a game, IMO. But you could try NYGM. I think flooding is modeled differently in that mod.
Old 09-28-14, 05:42 AM   #6806
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL!TZKR!EG View Post
and as per GWX 3.0 the answer was that it has been outdated on its release day because it has been described to me as a rearrangement and fix of the old 2.1 version with the largest change being Jeff's new installer.
Can you tell us who described it that way? I ask because GWX4 was set aside for GWX3, and as I'm sure Jimbuna could tell you the changes were considerable.

Quote:
Maybe the answers that I got came because I asked German guys back then. Many Germans used to be antagonists towards GWX, I believe.
This is the second time you've said that. Can you name these people? Can they speak here to verify what you say? If not, you should probably not refer to others to back up your claims when the others can't back it up for you. It's just talk.

Quote:
There have been even battles about mods and this game in the past! Imagine that! Personal battles because of a game!! Incredible things have happened.
And those battles started because people were making different claims about the different mods. There was also a lot more involved that, if you can't tell us exactly what they were you shouldn't be bringing it up.

Quote:
Oh yes, the GWX-AI has been discussed several times here on this forum, only two threads on this are these:
And one of the original selling points of GWX was that its AI was easier than NYGM's.
Old 09-28-14, 11:19 AM   #6807
jagdpanther
Nub

Downloads: 73
I was wondering does GWX 3 gold contain modifications that allows world and kriegsmarines news to show up on the patrol orders screen that you view immediately before beginning your patrol? If not is there a mod that does as such, because i see it on lets plays and i would really like that sort of immersion rather than mindlessly go on a patrol without knowing how the war is going etc.
jagdpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-14, 08:00 PM   #6808
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Yes it does. I see this is your first post, Welcome Aboard!

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-14, 08:42 PM   #6809
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Welcome to SUBSIM jagdpanther

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-14, 09:19 PM   #6810
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome Aboard

jagdpanther!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote