SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-21-17, 08:15 AM   #61
Badger343rd
Loader

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 3

I would like an AAR report. Not knowing what got me and how is frustrating.
Having ALL buttons on the interface clickable so I don't need to touch the keyboard.

A sonar station(full screen)
Tma station (full screen)
I understand the reason for a simple game mode, but it should be optional.

Being able to disable a torp after enable.
Allow us to stream towed array at will
I should be able to order turns per knot so I can make maximum speed but stay below cavitation.

An option to make all interfaces auto disappear and reappear based on mouse position...the reason for this is it would allow me to play it on a bigscreeen PLASMA tv and not worry about "burn in" on the screen.If an interface is too static it creates a ghost in the plasma.
Badger343rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 09:31 AM   #62
Hamhock
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Firstly, love the game KF, thanks for picking up the torch.

If I have a primary complaint, it is the profusion of hotkeys. I'm glad they are there (I don't remember evasion and escape EVER being so tense in any other subsim game), but really, it seems kinda...last decade. A clickable UI is crucial.

Chief among the hotkey issues is ownship navigation. I get that you want the captain to feel the boat and such, but the practicality is that we need waypoints, course/speed/depth setting that the crew can handle while we go about our Captain business.

It doesn't have to be complicated, just a box in the lower left with the appropriate boxes to manually enter navigation commands would mostly suffice.

Either way, thanks for the game
Hamhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 11:01 AM   #63
ClaudiuC
Watch

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamhock View Post
Firstly, love the game KF, thanks for picking up the torch.

If I have a primary complaint, it is the profusion of hotkeys. I'm glad they are there (I don't remember evasion and escape EVER being so tense in any other subsim game), but really, it seems kinda...last decade. A clickable UI is crucial.

Chief among the hotkey issues is ownship navigation. I get that you want the captain to feel the boat and such, but the practicality is that we need waypoints, course/speed/depth setting that the crew can handle while we go about our Captain business.

It doesn't have to be complicated, just a box in the lower left with the appropriate boxes to manually enter navigation commands would mostly suffice.

Either way, thanks for the game
They are working on an optional more sim like navigation controls. Not sure when it's scheduled tough... but it's definitely coming.
ClaudiuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 11:11 AM   #64
pakfront
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

A few more suggestions:
  • Keep [Continue] [Accept] etc. buttons in the same place in all the overlay screens.
  • [Esc] key should close the "Leave Combat" overlay screen, it should not require a mouse click to close.
  • Allow us to leave combat if there are weapons out that pose no threat. I've been trapped in a combat for 10 minutes with the only weapon out being my own torpedo doing loops 10+ KYds away.
  • Provide more information about enemy Task Groups in the campaign map when applicable. Differentiate between surface group types (Landing, Resupply, ASW, etc) if there is sufficient intelligence.
pakfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 03:38 PM   #65
Harley Davidson
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 18
Default Back again since SH2

Well Oncle Neils email got me... I purchased Cold Waters I haven't been here since SH2 tho...

Some things that would really help immersion for me would be:

*Being able to set my speed ie: 2 Knts or 5 Knts etc.. or make turns for any amount of speed.
*Being able to leave harbor with view from conn tower, or conn tower view at sea.
*Being able to deploy or retract towed array.
*Helm station tab, doesn't have to be complicated.. just a tab for choosing depth, rudder and speed.
* the ability to choose the side of the conflict you are on... go Soviet or US.

Great game and I'm really enjoying it so far. Way to go killerfish!
Harley Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 05:52 PM   #66
VolvicCH
Bosun

Downloads: 2

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=952156459

Ahem...

As we sail thru life, don't avoid rough waters, sail on because calm waters won't make a skillful sailor
VolvicCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 06:08 PM   #67
ValkyrieBSG
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 5

I'd love to see playable USN boomers. Also playable Russian boats without the use of mods
ValkyrieBSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-17, 08:56 AM   #68
somedude88
Torpedoman

Downloads: 54

One thing I don't like is how every battle is a success or fail. "Oh, you intercepted the target halfway to its objective, but you didn't kill all the ships in that one battle? Well they teleported immediately to their objective and carried out their attack, mission failure."

Why can't you set up a follow-up attack the next day or disengage and re-engage in better conditions, or stalk your target until air-support leaves? If you get handed a bad roll, whether it be no layer or shallow water, why do you automatically lose if you don't win the first battle?
somedude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-17, 07:58 AM   #69
MadMike
Watch Officer

Downloads: 232

Some bugs, some may have been noted here and on the Steam forum-

1. EW contacts for sunken platforms.

2. Annoying and persistent grinding noises from sunken ships.

3. Need NATO platforms (subs, aircraft, etc). May as well add USN ships and merchants (for Soviet subs to sink).

4. Mod the environmental sound files for weapon detonations, sinking ships, etc.

Yours, &c.

Mike
MadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-17, 11:29 AM   #70
GrinderX9
Swabbie

Downloads: 10
Default VR

I know the market is still small. But the number is growing, People With VR.

Aboslutly everything are 100 times more imersive in VR. And I think this game whould be very easy to convert to VR. And putting the game in VR section on steam whould get you some extra Exposition.

Dear Developers plz make a VR mod
GrinderX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-17, 11:32 AM   #71
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard firsttime posterS!

ValkyrieBSG! & Harley Davidson! &Hamhock!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-17, 12:28 AM   #72
Fearless
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 340
Uploads: 1

Crew sound would be awesome.
Also access to the mission objectives in game.

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 Core 16 Thread CPU, 3.8GHz Base Clock, 4.7GHz Boost, 105W TDP, 32MB L3 cache | MSI GeForce RTX3060Ti 8Gb Graphics | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32Gb (2x16Gb) 3200 MHz CL16 DDR4 Ram | Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe SSD 1TB | Seagate Barracuda 2.5in 2TB HDD | AOC QHD 165 Hz FreeSync HDR curved 31.5in Monitor | ASUS ROG Strix LC 240 ARGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler White Edition | ASUS ROG Strix Gold 750W Modular Power Supply | Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Tempered Glass Mid Tower Case White.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-17, 08:35 AM   #73
somedude88
Torpedoman

Downloads: 54

Give players option to start battles at max anti-ship missile range. This so that you don't have to steam away from the enemy group for half an hour before actually engaging.
somedude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-17, 09:45 AM   #74
Shadow
Torpedoman

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude88 View Post
Give players option to start battles at max anti-ship missile range. This so that you don't have to steam away from the enemy group for half an hour before actually engaging.
Effective missile range for an unsupported submarine is about as far as horizon distance. Roughly 25 KY, the game's maximum initial engagement distance.

Beyond that, without direct visual, ESM or radar contact, and without a supporting sensor platform (ideally AWACS), firing solution accuracy progressively drops, and missile attacks become an increasingly wasteful option. Most attack submarines aren't built with that kind of inefficient missile spam in mind.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-17, 10:35 AM   #75
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Crew voices would be accurate. As a CDR, I really don't want to check dials and screens. I have an XO and Chiefs calling out changes. The two small screens on the left, with the inclusion of layer is about all.

Yes, I do the TMA to ID others in the area, but what is my TMA Chief doing? Isn't the XO/OOD backing him up?

A comfy chair and my mental visualization. The small tactical screen would be sufficient for evading torpedoes and registering sonobuoy/torpedo drops with the crew ID their actions. The crew should be calling out the rest.

A CDR trains his crew to provide input, lets have a vocal crew.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote