SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-19-17, 05:21 PM   #4306
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
To add to the oddity, returned to Brisbane from this patrol on May 19 '42 and after docking the "news" message tells me about the Battle of Midway that "took" place on June 4 '42.
I must be playing in a time warp!

But, after selecting the next patrol the start date became Jun12 '42. Just seems that the news message was out of synch with my docking date.
I remember looking into that before, because I got it before also, and couldn't find it right away. I might ask CapnScurvy or cdrsubron7 if they know where that "info" is held (actually, the "trigger" for its display), because it's getting the ending date of the one mission and the start date of the next mission backwards... or seems to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper450 View Post
uninstalled 56 and deleted the sh4 folder. Reinstalled 56 and using the same mission in war patrol the star is still on dutch harbor fyi.
OK, the particular Patrol there does have a "Hidden Primary" of going to Dutch Harbor to refuel... dunno why, but it's there. Anyway, in the Objectives page for the Patrol, there is a Patrol Attu Zone, and the Hidden Primary of Dutch Harbor Zone, with the zones "backwards" for whatever reason... I won't say who is at fault on this one, but probably the last feller who worked on the files... - which would be me... so next release will have the "fix" in it... You can play the scenario, just go to an area directly West of Attu, sink some ships - you'll need 5,000 tons - then go to Dutch Harbor, which should then fulfill both Objectives - maybe (I hope)...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-19-17 at 06:41 PM. Reason: wow! i needs me a sprelling chekker...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-17, 05:34 PM   #4307
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
... either that, or the dude has a pointy head... - sorry... I'll go back to my corner on the tall chair with my pointy hat that has D-U-N-C-E on it...
No need to Mate.

SH3/4 has a built in smoothing.
If a 3D model is put in Game in the wrong way?
You will see issues like this.

It's usually a first time mistake you never make again.
Old 03-19-17, 05:39 PM   #4308
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

I tried with RUIM mod and it is the same. It isn´t a problem of textures. The issue are the 3d hats. In TMO and RFB never I see this, also in stock. I think it is needed to change the 3D model of the hats (head plus hat or entire crewmen?). I'm trying that but my skills with 3D models in SH series are very limited.

Many thanks and best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-17, 05:55 PM   #4309
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Noticed when at radar depth with the SD radar turned on, closing airplanes are first plotted as squares until they come into visible range, however, at radar depth there are no lookouts on the conning tower and I did not raise my periscope, so how could these airplanes be visible? Also, when you request nearest visible target, these airplanes are selected!
Old 03-19-17, 07:35 PM   #4310
Sniper450
Officer

Downloads: 177

Quote:
If you can remember which ones you got CTDs in, I probably missed a ship call or two, and while the game wants to give you an SCSubChaser (which happens to be the most frequently used vessel), the numbers don't match what FotRSU has for SCSubChaser, and you instead get a CTD... I'll look through them all again, but see if you can remember which ones gave you trouble, and if you know how far into the scenario you were...
It was War Patrol Trigger patrol 1 in '42. I was just approaching the Attu Island each time the ctd occurred.
Sniper450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-17, 08:49 PM   #4311
propbeanie

Thanks Sniper450. I'll look closer into that one. It might just be that the patrol location was pointed at incorrectly, but it could be a bad ship call too... I'll try to play that one to completion...

jldjs, we'll have to wait for CapnScurvy to answer that one. Seems to me that Stock does that also, assuming, I'm guessing, that you would have the scope up also, since your shears are showing, but I dunno... If you click on the icon after it changes from a box (which just means "something is on radar") to whichever icon it goes to, does it ID the object as "Airplane", or does it specifically name an airplane, such as A6m Zero or whatever, which would assume a definite visual ID?...

Old 03-20-17, 07:11 AM   #4312
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Noticed when at radar depth with the SD radar turned on, closing airplanes are first plotted as squares until they come into visible range, however, at radar depth there are no lookouts on the conning tower and I did not raise my periscope, so how could these airplanes be visible?
That's how the game works. The Navigation Map doesn't just show only visual contacts....made by the Crew Watch standing on the Bridge. Planes detected solely by Radar will show there too. After all, before a working/usable SJ PPI Radar screen was put into the game, the stock games idea of how to show an SD plane contact was to put it onto the Navigation Map as you described. As long as you're at Radar Depth, with the SD Radar turned "On", you'll get a Navigation Map displaying the planes where abouts.

I'm changing some things with the SJ Radar to produce the proper "blip" for a plane on the PPI/A-Scope radar screens. I allowed some of FOTRS's old parameters to get into the radar files (I was trying to oblige them with letting their parameters stay intact) but, that's a mistake. Their Radar parameters don't allow for the SJ to pick up planes....they will in the next update.

Quote:
Also, when you request nearest visible target, these airplanes are selected!
Great, that's how it should be! The idea of "visible" is a stretch.....I'll change it to "Nearest Detectable Target".

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 07:22 AM   #4313
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs
To add to the oddity, returned to Brisbane from this patrol on May 19 '42 and after docking the "news" message tells me about the Battle of Midway that "took" place on June 4 '42.
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie
I remember looking into that before, because I got it before also, and couldn't find it right away. I might ask CapnScurvy or cdrsubron7 if they know where that "info" is held (actually, the "trigger" for its display), because it's getting the ending date of the one mission and the start date of the next mission backwards... or seems to be.
I've run across that "News" file before, I'll have to see If I can find it again for you.

=======

Found it, Data/Campaigns/Campaign/messages.txt...its got a date Modified 4/17/2010, so it isn't stock.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 03-20-17 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-20-17, 11:40 AM   #4314
propbeanie

Yeah, nowhere near stock. I cannot remember how it does the 'messages' that occur between the time of your docking from one patrol, until you depart for the next. FotRSU has the boats' turn-around time set to 14 or 15 days, and some of those messages between your patrols show, some don't. So, you come back in on May 30th, due to depart again on June 14, both of 1942, of couse, and you'll get the Midway message everytime, but it looks like it's coming across on May 30 - just a wee bit clairvoyant appearing, though I'm thinking it's supposed to signify a passing of time in the office, although the sun never sets...

Old 03-20-17, 05:04 PM   #4315
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
jldjs, we'll have to wait for CapnScurvy to answer that one. Seems to me that Stock does that also, assuming, I'm guessing, that you would have the scope up also, since your shears are showing, but I dunno... If you click on the icon after it changes from a box (which just means "something is on radar") to whichever icon it goes to, does it ID the object as "Airplane", or does it specifically name an airplane, such as A6m Zero or whatever, which would assume a definite visual ID?...
No, just displays unidentified.
Old 03-20-17, 09:09 PM   #4316
propbeanie

OK, so it's just using the speed of the object to decide "that must be an airplane", and not actually saying "I see a plane, and it is a Betty, with a torpedo, and he's coming to get you!"... which is cool.

Old 03-21-17, 08:16 AM   #4317
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie
If you click on the icon after it changes from a box (which just means "something is on radar") to whichever icon it goes to, does it ID the object as "Airplane", or does it specifically name an airplane, such as A6m Zero or whatever, which would assume a definite visual ID?...
Quote:
No, just displays unidentified.
Sounds right for a Radar contact.

Quote:
OK, so it's just using the speed of the object to decide "that must be an airplane", and not actually saying "I see a plane, and it is a Betty, with a torpedo, and he's coming to get you!"... which is cool.
Anything stating its "Very Fast" is a plane, no matter which type of sign the Nav Map may display. The only ships that may be found in-game to qualify for the "Very Fast" speed is a PT boat, but its rarely used....if its used at all. The only time I've ever seen the PT boat in action has been with one of the stock games "Sub School" missions. At that time the PT boats are only going about 8 kts.

Quote:
Old 03-21-17, 02:15 PM   #4318
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14

So what is the story with base changes?

I have an ongoing career which started in a Sargo in Cavite. Base switched to Surbaya as I knew it would and, as usual, I noticed those messages in the radio log.

Then base switched to Fremantle: same, I noticed.

Then I was on a long patrol maybe two months, and didn't get back to Fremantle until a couple days after the end of Battle of Coral Sea (actually it might have even been after Battle of Midway . . . but in any event I didn't arrive at Brisbane until after Battle of Midway . . .).

I was surprised when I arrived at Fremantle and realized I couldn't "End Patrol" and had to truck over to Brisbane. Course it was no real problem, but I couldn't find any mention in the radio log about a base switch.

Just would like to understand what this is all about, and if I might face additional base switches in the future?
Old 03-22-17, 07:38 PM   #4319
propbeanie

Ya gotta remember, you're dealing with the "heat of battle" here, and they're sometimes slow getting things out to the field, like working torpedoes... but you will usually see it go flying by in the text box, which holds all of 3 lines visible, and like 6 more hidden, if they aren't too old, so if you're using much TC, it comes it goes it's gone, and you aren't any the wiser. You get a couple course changes and a couple speed changes in there, and the text box is wiped of any evidence of something important... Almost all of the mods are like that, as is stock. It's usually a couple days or more, after the old base has closed, before you get the new base. In some of the mods, the Fremantle to Brisbane is worse that the Surabaya to Fremantle, but I don't know why (as Robyn Leach used to say)... What the admiral says, the captain does... I just address my admiral as "Yes, Dear!" instead of "Sir"... That is all...

Old 03-23-17, 01:28 AM   #4320
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Ya gotta remember, you're dealing with the "heat of battle" here, and they're sometimes slow getting things out to the field, like working torpedoes... but you will usually see it go flying by in the text box, which holds all of 3 lines visible, and like 6 more hidden, if they aren't too old, so if you're using much TC, it comes it goes it's gone, and you aren't any the wiser. You get a couple course changes and a couple speed changes in there, and the text box is wiped of any evidence of something important... Almost all of the mods are like that, as is stock. It's usually a couple days or more, after the old base has closed, before you get the new base. In some of the mods, the Fremantle to Brisbane is worse that the Surabaya to Fremantle, but I don't know why (as Robyn Leach used to say)... What the admiral says, the captain does... I just address my admiral as "Yes, Dear!" instead of "Sir"... That is all...
Cool . . . So just a random thing.