Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-24-18, 07:47 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Tesla Model 3 in test: disappointing

https://translate.google.de/translat...tml&edit-text=

Never understood the hype about Tesla, the cars so far are not impressing me at all.

Add to it the fact that the value loss, due to rapid development cycles for battteries, is extremely high for any kind of electrical mobile.

But that in this Model 3 the autopilot in turns randomly switches off and brings the wheel to "straight ahead", means potantial danger to car, driver, and life. In a right turn this manouver would bring you straight on the left traffic lane, if you do not react immediately - and the car demands driver's attention input just every 30 seconds. A lot can happen in 30 seconds.

Not worth the high asking price. The quality is mediocre, the sales policy is dubious at best, the idea to have customers buying a new car to get future software updates, as Musk explained a year ago or so, is absurd.

Whats the hype about? So far I see nothing in Tesla that justifies it.

original German source: LINK

As I wrote in this - LINK - accidentally misplaced thread some weeks ago, fun is the only excuse currently to buy into e-mobility, economic and fincial and ecologicla arguments do not rewally calculate positively yet. But the article raises doubts that Tesla is indeed "fun". and a tehcnology that throttles down the car repeatedly due to overheating, in my view is not market-fit. Not yet, at least. It remind sof the first autombiles a hunbdred years ago that black-white-films show as needing to get fresh cooling water every couple of kilometers...

Fun fact: the battery has 150x higher capacity than the battery on my e-bike. Range of that bike is, on ordinary rides, around 75-95 km, realistically, weighing 27 kilograms "naked" or around 120 kg of tour weight. For the Tesla, a range of over 500 km is claimed, but this is a claim from the laboratory and so represents fictional "under ideal but unrealistic conditions" findings. If it is like with ebikes, then you can halve the range, therefore - minimum factor. In winter and cold temperatures, it may even be less. Couild drop to a third. Would not be surprised to learn it last just a quarter of that optimum distance.

Plus over time every battery looses maximum capacity it can hold.

E mobility is not the final answer, and it also is still a long way from being fit for ordinary daily routine, the lacking infrastructure and the problem over overburding power grids when in the evenbing priovate car owners by the millions load the cells of their cars for the next day not even mentioned. If wanting to buy an alternative car today, I would prefer a car using hybrid technology.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-24-18 at 08:02 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-18, 01:52 PM   #2
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Overall, Tesla is disappointing.
Old 08-25-18, 08:22 PM   #3
WildFire_
Nub

Downloads: 21

Wife has a model 3. Love it. It's fast as a bullet. Power to the wheels immediately, corners and handles well, and smart cruise works great, a little jumpy on the brakes but safe. Autopilot only bombs out when you're on a section of road where turns are too sharp and the speed you've set is too high for it to handle, or, when you are in a merge section on the freeway. The merge disengage is well documented in the manual. Also not a big deal because you should have your hands on the wheel regardless. All the bad news about autopilot is bs. It's just the big 3 paying big media to influence the sheeple. Scream a lie loud enough and long enough, people WILL start to believe it. Also autopilot is in beta, so you should know you have to pay attention while using it. That's documented and you have to sign an acknowledgement.

Oh and we've saved thousands in dollars in gas in only the first few months. Super charger in the house is fast and cheap and the ones out in town are faster and also super cheap. Just knowing we aren't helping American big oil take over the world is reward enough.

Tesla was a visionary and he created inventions and gave away his tech to the public, and he was destroyed for it. Musk released his patents to the world and believes in creating renewable energy for everyone. We could choose to support big oil, ruthless and capitalist, intent on profiting off countries too weak to protect themselves, are we could support genuinely good people in the world.

What's the hype? Seems obvious, but I have yet to hear a valid counter argument. Its expensive for sure, but choosing to do the right thing, is never easy. Because those of us who can pay the high price are willing, means some day the price will be lower and many will be able to afford and support the ideas.

The hype for Tesla owners is finally someone makes a fast fun car with the technology integrated in their car that the big 3 should have put in their vehicles years ago. Ford wants to rip out the CD player, put in a display in the center console and say it's a major upgrade and sell it in brand new model year. Whoopie. I can do that on my own in an afternoon.

There's no excuse for American mediocrity, we should be doing it better, and we can. American cars used to push the world, now we barely keep up. We use junk Chinese steel, and cheap COTS electronics. It's a mockery of American engineering. Good on musk for building a car that is worthy. And doing it pretty fast. All while pushing solar into the world on a global scale, engineering solar roof tiles, paying what is needed to create better batteries. My Motorola phone lasted days with out charging, my lenova/Motorola lasts 4 hours. Why, cheap battery tech. They can do it better. Oh and he's sending ships to space all the time and drilling holes to create better high speed public transit. What do you do on your Saturday while he's changing the world? Sitting there judging teslafiles? That's a bold strategy cotton.

I actually make fun of my wife for being a teslafile. But to be brutally honest, I know a good human when I see one, and I'd take his work over any of the other American car companies making junk currently.

Also both the model S owners we know who have had their cars for almost 6 years have both reported less than 10% loss and zero battery issues. Our range is great, no issues yet. Also heat, temperature has not been an issue to them, east coast. The Norwegians seem to love them as well. I don't know what the other points were like devcycle blah blah blah; literally non factors.

Last edited by WildFire_; 08-25-18 at 08:31 PM.
WildFire_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-18, 10:04 AM   #4
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Overall, Tesla is disappointing.
I agree

Don't let that run you off WildFire and welcome aboard
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 09:13 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

https://www.wired.com/story/hackers-...conds-key-fob/

Nice illustration why I do not trust these toy-tech things. Its hard to beat physical robustness.

Same with smart home technology. Security-wise, almost all if not all systems on the market fail in security tests by experienced former thefts and burglars. What keeps burglars away, they say, is neither cameras, nor lights, nor alarm systems, nor electronic gameplay, but just one thing: physical toughness. The only winner of most of so-called digital home security, is the company selling it.

Yes, I hate - and do not use - RFID chips.
Old 09-11-18, 10:16 AM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

WildFire_!
Quote:
There's no excuse for American mediocrity, we should be doing it better, and we can. American cars used to push the world, now we barely keep up. We use junk Chinese steel, and cheap COTS electronics. It's a mockery of American engineering. Good on musk for building a car that is worthy. And doing it pretty fast. All while pushing solar into the world on a global scale, engineering solar roof tiles, paying what is needed to create better batteries. My Motorola phone lasted days with out charging, my lenova/Motorola lasts 4 hours. Why, cheap battery tech. They can do it better. Oh and he's sending ships to space all the time and drilling holes to create better high speed public transit. What do you do on your Saturday while he's changing the world? Sitting there judging teslafiles? That's a bold strategy cotton.
NICELY PUT I'M WAITING FOR THE ROADSTER MYSELF

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 04:50 PM   #7
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

Quote:
Hackers Can Steal a Tesla Model S in Seconds by Cloning Its Key Fob

Who in their right mind would steal one, unless you are drunk maybe.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 05:15 PM   #8
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk

Elon Musk the co-founder of Tesla has been in the news lately seems he wants to take the company back to private, causing the stock to rise and fall, also seen smoking marijuana live on TV just this month and has a desire to die on Mars (just not on impact)

Very creative and unusual man net worth is 2 billion dollars USD
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 12:36 PM   #9
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 343

my wife is trying to convince me buying a Tesla is good investment because of all the money we will save on gas.

two words: not happening.
Old 09-14-18, 02:18 AM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Wildfire, that's a very nice rave and you make a lot of good points. The only objection I have is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFire_ View Post
We could choose to support big oil, ruthless and capitalist, intent on profiting off countries too weak to protect themselves, are we could support genuinely good people in the world.
So, where does the electricity come from?
Old 09-14-18, 02:40 AM   #11
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ pffft but it's easy. Don't know how you do it in the US, but here we have wall plugs where the electricity comes from.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-18, 05:32 AM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
my wife is trying to convince me buying a Tesla is good investment because of all the money we will save on gas.

Batteries.

Every 6-8 months the industry internally fields a new technology, means: battery technology ages very fast, looses reselling value. Additional to that, they are loosing max capacity they can store over time. They have a life cycle, and a limited longevity.

You may save on gas. But you pay extra when oyu try to resell an e-car. I have not just read that. I have heard it several times now in my social environment, real people with real experience. I do not know them all perosnally, but knwo people knowing them.

There is no economic argument to buy into e-mobility. Also, there is no ecological argument, if you factor in production costs. Currently, if you calculate all and everything and go over a longer time window, you seem to lose money.

This thead got misplaced by me, sorry: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=238132

Buy a small car, gas-driven, with low consumption rate and good emission values. Much more sanity in that. Maybe even a hybrid. What makes e-mobility expensivem, is not the loading costs for the battery cells, but the complete background calculation of all costs: production, mining Lithium, value loss and aging of batteries.

Musk also once said he does not want to offer maintenance and software upgrades for existing Teslas for too long, but instead , like with cellphones, expects people to buy complete new cars in frequent, preferred: short intervals. That is not just disconnected from the financial reality of many people, but it also sheds a questionable light on his idea of ecological sustainability. One should not support such policy.
Old 09-14-18, 04:39 PM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ pffft but it's easy. Don't know how you do it in the US, but here we have wall plugs where the electricity comes from.
And milk and meat come from the grocery store.
Old 09-15-18, 04:47 AM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

^
Old 09-15-18, 05:59 AM   #15
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post

A Kia Niro gets around 50 mpg for a much lower price tag. Looks good too!