SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-09-13, 01:29 PM   #31
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Too good to be true, really. Maybe we won't get shafted this time, eh?
That's what I am worried about. It's everything I've dreamed, excluding
whole planets to explore on foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
What are the top mods for Freelancer these days?
TNG 2.7 is what I'm using for my current FL SP play. Used that one on the Aurora
server which was popular back then. New systems, new races, new ships,
new equipment and new items. And it's also made so it works for SP.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 02:33 PM   #32
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

This is exactly why I am apprehensive regarding excitement over this title. Frankly, this all seems too good to be true, and we all know what they say about things that seem so.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 05:02 AM   #33
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
This is exactly why I am apprehensive regarding excitement over this title. Frankly, this all seems too good to be true, and we all know what they say about things that seem so.
This project is not like other developments. This is the project he has been thinking about making for years. The technology was just not available.

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 10:00 AM   #34
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

That really doesn't mean much though, does it? A lot of projects started off with big ambitions, only to have hosts of features cut once it became clear that neither the budget nor deadline allowed for it.

SC doesn't really have a deadline since they have no obligations to anyone, but the money will run out at some point. And they don't have a publisher they can ask for more (though I seem to recall they had some investors lined up).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
..., and we all know what they say about things that seem so.
They explode in your face, teabag your corpse and dance on your grave?

Sometimes they don't though. DCS happened, which was really my wildest flight-sim dream come true. Now if only they would actually release another aircraft...

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-13, 10:10 AM   #35
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
That really doesn't mean much though, does it? A lot of projects started off with big ambitions, only to have hosts of features cut once it became clear that neither the budget nor deadline allowed for it.
No, it really doesn't mean much at all. And the graveyard of defunct game projects is filled with ambitious ideas.

Quote:
SC doesn't really have a deadline since they have no obligations to anyone, but the money will run out at some point. And they don't have a publisher they can ask for more (though I seem to recall they had some investors lined up).
I find the lack of timetable to be a detriment in most cases. More often than not, an open schedule allows devs to add feature after feature until the project collapses under it's own weight. I may be wrong in the end in this case, but I think caution should trump excitement at this point.

Quote:
They explode in your face, teabag your corpse and dance on your grave?

Sometimes they don't though. DCS happened, which was really my wildest flight-sim dream come true. Now if only they would actually release another aircraft...
I'd still say that the first is the most likely scenario here.
Old 08-10-13, 11:03 AM   #36
Arclight
Navy Seal

Purely statistically, sure.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though. It would never have gotten as far as it has if not for the support of its fanbase. They need us as much as we do them in order for it to become a reality.

Old 08-10-13, 12:16 PM   #37
McBeck
Admiral

Quote:

SC doesn't really have a deadline since they have no obligations to anyone, but the money will run out at some point. And they don't have a publisher they can ask for more (though I seem to recall they had some investors lined up).They explode in your face, teabag your corpse and dance on your grave?

Well, I think its a good idea. I know from myself, that if Im told to figure out some new ideas, they get better the longer I think about them.

Is a publisher such a great idea? Look at SH5. I know that the devs did NOT want to release, but had to due preasure from the pusblisher....

Becks website
Old 08-10-13, 12:27 PM   #38
Arclight
Navy Seal

Never said a publisher was a good idea. It's not even an option in this case; no publisher is willing to take on a space-sim, save perhaps for Deep Silver and they already have the X series.

Not sure what you're referring to with the first part.

Old 08-11-13, 03:52 AM   #39
McBeck
Admiral

Quote:
Never said a publisher was a good idea. It's not even an option in this case; no publisher is willing to take on a space-sim, save perhaps for Deep Silver and they already have the X series.

Not sure what you're referring to with the first part.
You said they didnt have a publisher, so they could not ask for more money - kinda states that its good?

The first part was because you answered my statement
Quote:
This project is not like other developments. This is the project he has been thinking about making for years. The technology was just not available.
With
Quote:

Becks website
Old 08-11-13, 12:47 PM   #40
Arclight
Navy Seal

There's positives and drawbacks from not having a publisher. More creative freedom, but once the money runs out yer done.

About ideas getting better with time, I'd have to disagree. Many projects went down the drain because of over-complication and feature creep.

I'm not saying that applies to SC though, never did. Like I stated before, Roberts seems to have a keen grasp on what is feasible. There was just a bit of lamenting all those ambitious projects that fell short of the mark.

Old 08-16-13, 06:47 PM   #41
Arclight
Navy Seal

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: These are our current specifications on paper. Some of this is likely to change during the 3D design and game balancing process over the next 24 months. Despite this, they should give a good indication of the relative features and abilities of the ships in the Star Citizen universe.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-specs

Old 08-17-13, 11:23 AM   #42
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

The more I've been reading about this, the more I doubt that this game will ever see the light of day. Release date being pushed back to 2015; ships likely to change. Sounds like the beginning of the end.
Old 08-17-13, 01:33 PM   #43
Arclight
Navy Seal

Er... what? There is no release date to be pushed back and the ships are barely out of the first implementation. Most everything else is still in the design phase. Don't know what you've been reading but I think you got something backwards here.

The planned schedule, from what I recall, is the hangar this month, dogfighting end of the year, then some kind of social module halfway through 2014 followed by persistent universe end of 2014. As far as I know there never were plans to have a finished product before 2015.

They are barely a year into development. Most developers don't even show you a bloody screenshot until 2+ years in.

Old 08-17-13, 02:20 PM   #44
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
Er... what? There is no release date to be pushed back and the ships are barely out of the first implementation. Most everything else is still in the design phase. Don't know what you've been reading but I think you got something backwards here.

The planned schedule, from what I recall, is the hangar this month, dogfighting end of the year, then some kind of social module halfway through 2014 followed by persistent universe end of 2014. As far as I know there never were plans to have a finished product before 2015.

They are barely a year into development. Most developers don't even show you a bloody screenshot until 2+ years in.
Er....this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen

Quote:
After the Kickstarter campaign had ended, funding continued through the game's website, which reports having raised over $15 million. It reached the $15 million milestone on August 1st, 2013. This made Star Citizen the largest crowd-funded project ever. The estimated total dollar amount required to finish the development of the game is $21 million. The game will continue to collect crowd-funded donations until its expected release date in December 2014.
Emphasis mine. Followed later by this.

Quote:
Final Release (estimated Q1 2015) - Full commercial release of both Squadron 42 and Star Citizen.
Again, emphasis mine.

So, it was pushed back. Maybe I'm not such an idiot after all.
Old 08-17-13, 04:12 PM   #45
Arclight
Navy Seal

So from December 2014 to 2015? That is your reason to declare this dead on arrival 1 year into development? A change to an expected release date (over a year in the future) of a few months, and possible changes to preliminary ship stats?

I'm still baffled and confused by what this is based on, so I maintain my "Er... what?".

Quote:
...and then a beta of the persistent universe by the end of the year (2014), which essentially is bringing all of these things into one holistic piece, and then we'll go live after the beta which I would anticipate would probably be sometime in early 2015. But essentially from the end of 2014 you should be able to play the full game, it'll just be beta because there obviously still will be things to tweak and balance, and we'll try and keep the player base constrained until after we've gone through beta, because, you know, it's not really a beta if you've got a million players.
http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/An...lease_schedule

That was stated back in May. I don't know when the other wiki was composed, but it may as well have been misinterpreted.