SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-16-05, 09:25 PM   #1
mike_espo
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0

Has anybody checked? Did you guys know that minesweepers and minehunters actually sweep mines?

Maybe there is a way for SSBNs to "launch" a nuclear attack. :hmm:
mike_espo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-05, 03:14 PM   #2
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3

I knew they could sweep mines - they could in SC too, heck I think even back in fleet command they could sweep mines.

The only option I can think of is to create a dynamic group which is created when the SSBN "launches" - which then has to be at a specific location - and that group consisting of some aircraft simulating a missile. Flying it to a land target, give it the suicide attack order through scripting, and upon destruction within the target area, remove the targets from the game.

Cumbersome, though, no doubt about that.
MaHuJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-05, 05:28 PM   #3
Ula Jolly
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 0

When I hear the discussion of SSBNs in DW firing nuclear rockets, I never consider it for tactical use. It should be mainly for strategical use, after all.
Old 07-17-05, 06:05 PM   #4
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

There is no way in DW to get SSBNs to launch SLBMs.

Only in SCX could SSBNs launch an SLBM and then due to the fact that there wasn't a proper ballistics model it was a fudge albeit very good one that Thomas came up with.
Old 07-17-05, 06:58 PM   #5
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ula Jolly
When I hear the discussion of SSBNs in DW firing nuclear rockets, I never consider it for tactical use. It should be mainly for strategical use, after all.
That whole tactical/strategic division it's so... 80s.

It's about concentrating firepower and wackin' stuff.
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-05, 09:30 AM   #6
mike_espo
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ula Jolly
That whole tactical/strategic division it's so... 80s.

It's about concentrating firepower and wackin' stuff.
Come on Queen Remember, this is just a game....many would like the "what if" possibilities thats what makes this game great...being able to replay scenarios that did not really happen.

And Remember, it was those systems that are so......"80s" that kept us and the Soviets from all out war.
Old 07-20-05, 08:59 PM   #7
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_espo
Come on Queen Remember, this is just a game....many would like the "what if" possibilities thats what makes this game great...being able to replay scenarios that did not really happen.

And Remember, it was those systems that are so......"80s" that kept us and the Soviets from all out war.
The thing is, right now, the "what if" possiblities in DW are fairly limited. If I wanted to do hard-core "what if" scenarios, I'd prefer a beefed up database of Soviet platforms over the ability to shoot off ballistic missiles. They're really beyond the scale of what the sim models well anyhow.

I think the interesting thing about DW is that it's the only sim I've seen that let's one look at the actions of single vessels or small groups of vessels in contemporary situations. I was really impressed that that it bothered to mess with the 0.50cals on the FFG, or that I could sneak into a harbor and mine it, or deliver a SOF team, try to stop smugglers and drug runners, or zoom around in a helo evacuating an embassy, or try to defend myself against suicide boats. That's all good stuff.

A retro, "what-if" oriented sim wouldn't care about any of that. It'd be about scouting out and unleashing a massive volley of cruise missiles at the NATO or Warsaw Pact fleet, and end with that. That's where Harpoon is best. There's so much more nuance to DW and this obsession some people have with nuclear obliteration makes no sense to me.
Old 07-21-05, 03:26 PM   #8
mike_espo
Sonar Guy

What about a Red Storm rising campaign? Soviet subs trying to cut off the lifeline to Europe? Sounds pretty interesting

I would like to see retro stuff. For one thing, Would the Soviets be able to get close enough in 1962 with the Hotels to launch a nuclear strike?

I ve been thinking of getting Harpoon 3 for just this reason, but it is crud compared to DW
Old 07-21-05, 04:09 PM   #9
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 7

for a start in 1962 you would have the hotels golf's and remaining zulu's to contend with about 30 boats (i think have to check) in total shared out between pacific and northern fleets some would slip through the net proven by the four foxtrots same year

also there was plans draw up to base a squadron of golf SSB submarines in havana 12 boats were to depart but the plans fell through

so id think if those golfs did go to cuba yes they would have hit americfa if needed

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-05, 07:23 PM   #10
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Quote:
What about a Red Storm rising campaign? Soviet subs trying to cut off the lifeline to Europe? Sounds pretty interesting
It is! But the DW database lacks the ship classes to really do the scenario justice.

Quote:
I would like to see retro stuff. For one thing, Would the Soviets be able to get close enough in 1962 with the Hotels to launch a nuclear strike?

I ve been thinking of getting Harpoon 3 for just this reason, but it is crud compared to DW
I don't think Harpoon is crude at all. In fact, in many ways it's much more sophisticated. Really, though, it's a whole different game intended to simulate very different things. It's actually more "realistic" in the sense that the interface is very similar to that in an actual AEGIS warship. If you've never been on a real warship, get a big flat-screen monitor, stick it up on your wall, and play Harpoon 3. That's as close as most civilians can get to being in the CIC of a real CG or DDG.

In Harpoon, while you can command a single warship, it's very abstract feeling (much like a real CIC, it's a dark room with a bunch of radar and computer screens all over the place). You can't do things like do your own TMA, or blaze away with your 0.50 cals at small boats. It's assumed that all that is handled by subordinates. Your job is to manage the battle. You can't stand out on the bridge wing and look through your binoculars in Harpoon. You can't stare at grams in the sonar shack. DW is much better in this respect. Harpoon is purely about scouting and fighting in the CIC, from the perspective of a commanding officer. Another thing I wish Harpoon could do is accomidate changing political and diplomatic situations better. DW does that very nicely with scripts and triggers. I also haven't figured out how to do a suicide boat in Harpoon. DW has that built in.

Where DW is not very good is the interesting part of Harpoon. That's when you want to command fleets of warships and look at how the whole air-sea battle interacts. The bulk of Harpoon games involves employing sensors on a multitude of different platforms to search for and identify targets. Then, directing a multitude of different platforms, each performing different missions, to destroy those targets, meanwhile defending your fleet from an enemy attempting to do the same to you. Harpoon's database accomidates an amazing variety of platforms. Commanding fleets of warships is, in a lot of ways, much more instructive about the nature of naval warfare because these days ships almost always act in conjuction with other assets. Something like a Ticonderoga CG is not just an asset from the perspective of the person in charge of the two ship SAG it's tasked to, but to the entire theatre, because it's radar has such enormous range, and it's ability to bring a ton of ordinance where ever it goes. Harpoon lets one think beyond just the one engagement and at a much bigger picture.

In DW it's like you're a crew member of a single warship. In Harpoon, you're at least a senior officer.
Old 06-06-17, 09:46 AM   #11
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2
Default We have lift off

I got a OHIO from ReinForce Alert that does launch missiles power of payload I don't know,, I have to test more,,, Though I did drop one on a ship,, I'll be back with more intel if any are interested
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-17, 11:36 AM   #12
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2
Default I have become Death

still the yield is unknown,, but it will take out a whole airbase.
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote