SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-05-18, 09:31 PM   #1
GSmith63
Sailor man

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Default Feature Requests for v1.10 and beyond - Part 1

Really, really enjoying this game, and especially the latest improvements in 1.09e. Hats off to the Killerfish team for the great continuing customer support. With that said I’d love to see some of the following improvements in upcoming versions, and hear other’s thoughts.

Part 1 - The Game

1. Allow Active Intercept System to be used for target detection, limited TMA. Regardless of the likely classified capabilities of these systems, I think it is logical to assume that a sub’s active intercept system can be used to initially detect a contact, start a contact track, and possibly to do some rudimentary form of TMA and classification. For TMA, maybe just give it the same capabilities as a regular sonar hearing a faint signal with a small bearing rate change.

2. Quicker TMA solution when holding a contact on both hull and towed sonar. I started a separate thread on this last month but wanted to include it here as well. Taking simultaneous readings from two passive sonars 2,000 feet apart should provide enough basic triangulation to at least eliminate a number of possible target range/course combinations and speed up the TMA process, especially at the short tactical ranges in CW.

3. Start Further Away from Contacts. Especially in 1.09 I seem to always start nearly in active sonar range of the bad guys, which does not seem very realistic. Allow us to start up to 40,000 yards away from contacts, which is probably a more realistic passive direct path range for initial contact of many surface ships, especially tankers, amphibs, etc.

4. More music. I think the music in the game is fantastic, especially the slower parts. However, it does get a little repetitive over time. Adding more music would help keep the game fresh.

More to follow on campaign stuff...

Gregg
GSmith63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 05:43 PM   #2
Reds
Swabbie

Downloads: 3

These suggestions make sense.
Reds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 06:32 PM   #3
Killerfish Games
Cold Waters Developer

Downloads: 0

They do and we read them all so thanks for sharing.
Old 01-16-18, 10:14 PM   #4
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Music comes from a sonar headset...
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 06:16 PM   #5
Capt.Hunt
Loader

Downloads: 9

the music does create great ambiance in the game, but occasionally the ambiance interferes with the tactical picture. Sometimes, during tense moments you get a chord that sound a lot like a series of sonar pings.
Capt.Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 08:06 PM   #6
Delgard
Skipper

Over the years I always had it off. I just turned it off on day 1. But, since the Big K-Fish might be around, I am sure it is lovely music.

Although, if there was a button to start the Jaws movie music...that way, when my torpedo acquires the target, I could hit the button and have appropriate music.

We need a button, yep.
Old 01-18-18, 12:58 AM   #7
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 3

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish Games View Post
They do and we read them all so thanks for sharing.
Hopefully you could add time enough in port on the first mission to change stores. Otherwise the first mission is always a failure due to lost time.

If your mission is to sink a Carrier group, TLAMS are useless and something you don't need for the mission. But change them out for something else and you fail the first mission because you run out of time, every time. Very annoying.

Thanks FOR LISTENING AND GREAT GAME!!

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

Last edited by GeneralGamer; 01-18-18 at 01:34 AM.
GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 10:42 AM   #8
_DoomGuy
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 10

This is my list of demands, and I say demands because this two tinny things really feel like cheating:
1.-when an enemy launches a torpedo, transient is announced and is as well displayed for a second in the map, so that it reveals the enemy position
2.-Same happens with knuckle forms and decoys, but worse because they stay on the map.

To be realistic those things should be announced as bearings only, not true positions
_DoomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-18, 09:39 PM   #9
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSmith63 View Post
2. Quicker TMA solution when holding a contact on both hull and towed sonar. I started a separate thread on this last month but wanted to include it here as well. Taking simultaneous readings from two passive sonars 2,000 feet apart should provide enough basic triangulation to at least eliminate a number of possible target range/course combinations and speed up the TMA process, especially at the short tactical ranges in CW.
I'd always heard that the early towed arrays don't have that great of bearing resolution. If you were triangulating with the two sensors they would both need equally high bearing resolution to give you an accurate result.
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-18, 10:20 PM   #10
Delgard
Skipper

Be nice if Jonesy called out the bearing for each enemy torpedo launch, if actually hearable. If it is going to show up on the screen, someone should call it out.

I imagine that a lot of info is flying around the control area. That is a watchful team.
Old 01-20-18, 11:56 PM   #11
Capt.Hunt
Loader

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralGamer View Post
Hopefully you could add time enough in port on the first mission to change stores. Otherwise the first mission is always a failure due to lost time.

If your mission is to sink a Carrier group, TLAMS are useless and something you don't need for the mission. But change them out for something else and you fail the first mission because you run out of time, every time. Very annoying.

Thanks FOR LISTENING AND GREAT GAME!!
You must go through a lot of torpedoes on missions, you don't really need to off load those TLAMs, because even with them on board, you should have enough fish to deal with a few surface contacts.
Capt.Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 02:31 PM   #12
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

I'd like to see a clock and I'd like to see a dot stack plot.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 06:39 PM   #13
GSmith63
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
I'd always heard that the early towed arrays don't have that great of bearing resolution. If you were triangulating with the two sensors they would both need equally high bearing resolution to give you an accurate result.
I agree CAPT Jack. My initial suggestion was only that the amount of time for a TMA solution be lessened somewhat, not that we would get an instant fix on the target. Even with low bearing resolution, you should still be able to use the towed array to narrow down the possible target locations along the contact's bearing line from the bow sonar.
Old 02-02-18, 04:56 PM   #14
ragnar1242
Swabbie

Downloads: 14

I just want a little more in depth ESM. In game stuff is not anywhere as useful as it could be
ragnar1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 07:28 PM   #15
GSmith63
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar1242 View Post
I just want a little more in depth ESM. In game stuff is not anywhere as useful as it could be
Like.