SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-27-17, 05:55 PM   #61
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

What sensors file?
Old 10-27-17, 06:16 PM   #62
mkiii
Soundman

Downloads: 117

data/objects/sensors/ uboot sensors GR2

it has all the scopes, uzo, kdb, ghg models in it, I think its like a library file hard coded in the exe, and the cfg nodes link to the specific model depending on year avaliability and eqp upgrades
mkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-17, 10:30 PM   #63
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiii View Post
@Gap....Even the original sensors GR2 will not open, pointers before data error...not to worry. its a minor annoyance compared to what the editor does let us do.
I am pretty sure that there is a version of GR2 Editor that can open/save the stock file thaogh I cannot tell you which version exactly: it has been a long time since I messed with that file the last time.

Quote:

it has all the scopes, uzo, kdb, ghg models in it, I think its like a library file hard coded in the exe, and the cfg nodes link to the specific model depending on year avaliability and eqp upgrades
Why do you think it is hardcoded? I don't think that file to have any special role assigned in the game code. You can store new sensors in any new library file; it will work just fine as long as you make eqp and upc files to point to it. The_Beast did that for some new sensors added with his Fixed Ubpat equipment mod, and I did the same with the GHG sensor, for making it destroyable (for Vecko's Reworked Uboat Damage Mod)
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-17, 02:40 AM   #64
mkiii
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Why do you think it is hardcoded? I don't think that file to have any special role assigned in the game code. You can store new sensors in any new library file; it will work just fine as long as you make eqp and upc files to point to it. The_Beast did that for some new sensors added with his Fixed Ubpat equipment mod, and I did the same with the GHG sensor, for making it destroyable (for Vecko's Reworked Uboat Damage Mod)
something I read in a post. could very well be wrong,
I will have a play around with doing just that, but not today, conning tower day today
Old 10-28-17, 06:15 AM   #65
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
something I read in a post. could very well be wrong,
I will have a play around with doing just that, but not today, conning tower day today
Okay

Talking about that, what do you know on the different Type IX variants and on the conning towers that could be fitted on them?

uboat.net, uboataces.com, u-historia.com, and wikipedia have information on hull variants and their specs. Some additional information could probably be digged from uboatarchive.net. Some decent technical drawings of the different hull variants are also available from u-historia.com. What we miss at the time being, is information on the conning towers used ad different stages of the war, as detailed as we have for the type VII
Old 10-28-17, 06:33 AM   #66
Will-Rommel
Chief

Downloads: 81

Good work
Old 10-28-17, 06:52 AM   #67
mkiii
Soundman

Quote:
Okay

Talking about that, what do you know on the different Type IX variants and on the conning towers that could be fitted on them?

uboat.net, uboataces.com, u-historia.com, and wikipedia have information on hull variants and their specs. Some additional information could probably be digged from uboatarchive.net. Some decent technical drawings of the different hull variants are also available from u-historia.com. What we miss at the time being, is information on the conning towers used ad different stages of the war, as detailed as we have for the type VII
I have got all those sites bookmarked Gap, plus I managed to get a copy of Eberhard Rossler`s "The U_boat" off ebay, without paying an extortionate ammount of £ for it, plus assorted other info in pdf format
Old 10-28-17, 10:34 AM   #68
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I have got all those sites bookmarked Gap, plus I managed to get a copy of Eberhard Rossler`s "The U_boat" off ebay, without paying an extortionate ammount of £ for it, plus assorted other info in pdf format
Good

BTW: are you planning to add in game just one of the type IX versions, or more than one?
Old 10-28-17, 01:32 PM   #69
mkiii
Soundman

Quote:
Good

BTW: are you planning to add in game just one of the type IX versions, or more than one?
If everything works with this one, and we manage to get it in game, which looks quite likely now, this will be IXB, To be followed by C, C40, AND D2 which I have got all the models for.

the B and C are basically the same, just details a bit different. The C40 and D2 are completely different, although they will be able to share the ct`s from the others, so will be a little less work.

from a quick look through the books, there are only 3 conning tower versions

also I was thinking it would be better using the most closely matching ct versions from the type VII, for flak gun nodes etc then it will be just moving bones around, rather than deleting unnecessary bones, (less you change,less to go wrong)

Last edited by mkiii; 10-28-17 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-28-17, 04:52 PM   #70
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:

No hard codeing involved. Just a non-standard GR2 file.
There are a lot of ways to whack the GR2 format to avoid tampering.
The early attempts started with editing the check sum. We figured that out so that was dumped by a lot of Game devs. Not just for Silent Hunter.

Next many went to a custom format like in SWTOR. Seems a few people broke that format also.

Haven't looked close at the sensor file to see what is going on but I'd just rip 3d models and add them to another file that can be opened and worked with easily.
Old 10-29-17, 07:07 AM   #71
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
If everything works with this one, and we manage to get it in game, which looks quite likely now, this will be IXB, To be followed by C, C40, AND D2 which I have got all the models for.

the B and C are basically the same, just details a bit different. The C40 and D2 are completely different, although they will be able to share the ct`s from the others, so will be a little less work.

from a quick look through the books, there are only 3 conning tower versions

also I was thinking it would be better using the most closely matching ct versions from the type VII, for flak gun nodes etc then it will be just moving bones around, rather than deleting unnecessary bones, (less you change,less to go wrong)
Sounds like a good plan, though I foresee problems with the interiors, where there are animated parts like the engine room. I have read that the IXD2 was powered by two pairs of 6-cylinder Diesel engines, but we will be probably forced to use type VII's engine room, with the standard engine configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
No hard codeing involved. Just a non-standard GR2 file.

Quote:
There are a lot of ways to whack the GR2 format to avoid tampering.
The early attempts started with editing the check sum. We figured that out so that was dumped by a lot of Game devs. Not just for Silent Hunter.

Next many went to a custom format like in SWTOR. Seems a few people broke that format also.

Quote:
Haven't looked close at the sensor file to see what is going on but I'd just rip 3d models and add them to another file that can be opened and worked with easily.
Possiblle: I have already done that many times

That's not just a possibility though. Since one of the limitation of GR2 Editor is that we cannot add new models to a granny file, putting any new sensor in a separate file is also the way to go, unless you want to replace one of the yet existing equipments / equipment upgrades with the new one (a few of them aren't actually used in game).
Old 10-29-17, 08:48 AM   #72
mkiii
Soundman

well these conning towers are a nightmare, I don`t know how they are different than the hull, but as soon as I changed a texture path got section errors.
I am now using 2 versions of the editor at each step, 1 to change the meshes, and 1 to alter the material bindings, which gives me a file that will open in goblin without crashing. (how long it took to find the right combination of versions was depressing)

not tried it in game yet though, just in case I lose my temper and throw the pc through the window (believe me, its been close a few times)

@Gap not got any really clear pics of the IX diesels, but what I have, seem to show covered valve gear, in which case the animations are irrelevant, that is for the 9cyl engine though
Old 10-29-17, 08:57 AM   #73
mkiii
Soundman

Quote:
Sounds like a good plan, though I foresee problems with the interiors, where there are animated parts like the engine room. I have read that the IXD2 was powered by two pairs of 6-cylinder Diesel engines, but we will be probably forced to use type VII's engine room, with the standard engine configuration
unless it is possible to clone the engines and animations, and import 2 sets of engines into the engine room(obviously it would have to be made bigger first), but that is a problem for another day
Old 10-29-17, 07:17 PM   #74
mkiii
Soundman

16hrs and finally got a conning tower on the hull, still a few things to move around bones, collision meshes, more or less all the stuff you don`t see in game, the ct looks darker because I have used different material settings, to test which looks better in game,
Old 10-30-17, 10:45 AM   #75
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
well these conning towers are a nightmare, I don`t know how they are different than the hull, but as soon as I changed a texture path got section errors.
I am now using 2 versions of the editor at each step, 1 to change the meshes, and 1 to alter the material bindings, which gives me a file that will open in goblin without crashing. (how long it took to find the right combination of versions was depressing)

not tried it in game yet though, just in case I lose my temper and throw the pc through the window (believe me, its been close a few times)
I know, materials and material bindings have always been a PITA for me. Something I have learned is that, before deleting an unused material, you better save the file after having made sure that it is no more bound to any of the meshes found in the file. After that, you close the file, re-open it, and only at this point you can remove the material, but not before having crossed your fingers with one hand and knocked wood with the other

Quote:
@Gap not got any really clear pics of the IX diesels, but what I have, seem to show covered valve gear, in which case the animations are irrelevant, that is for the 9cyl engine though
That would be one problem lesser though, if I am not mistaken, the 6-cyl used on Type VII u-boats and the ones fitted on the IXD2 were different engines...

Quote:
unless it is possible to clone the engines and animations, and import 2 sets of engines into the engine room(obviously it would have to be made bigger first), but that is a problem for another day
Who knows, maybe we can stick models contained in different files using prt files (sort of what is done in SHIII with 'placement' nodes)

Quote:

16hrs and finally got a conning tower on the hull, still a few things to move around bones, collision meshes, more or less all the stuff you don`t see in game, the ct looks darker because I have used different material settings, to test which looks better in game,
Amazing!

Don't forget the emblem faces/materials