SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-06-15, 10:31 AM   #61
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

there are multiple version of ISP make sure you install the correct one for the mods your running.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-15, 10:05 PM   #62
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post
My weapons and sensors notes on the weapons and sensors page go missing when I install ISP 2.15 over RFB/RSRD. For example, instead of all the info about the WCA gear, it just says "WCA notes". Anybody else experiencing this?
What class of sub are you in?

In any case, I don't know why ISP would cause this. I didn't touch the sound gear or sensors. You should start a new career/campaign when installing ISP. There are changes to the crew abilities/rosters that could cause problems otherwise.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-15, 10:19 PM   #63
JT1981
Planesman

Downloads: 618

here is my mod list:
TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Improved Ship Physics 2.6_TMO_RSRDC
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC for 8 to 5 Aspect Ratio RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC_Metric Tools
Fixed Zero Bomb Load RSRDC
Fixed_CD_sonar_RSRDC

is it ok?I have got some ctds when load a save game,i dont know why...
JT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-15, 11:00 PM   #64
TorpX
Silent Hunter

It looks ok, but I did not test a lot of extra mods when developing the TMO versions. Did you start a new career when you installed these mods?
Old 02-07-15, 12:10 AM   #65
pdiddy
Gunner

Downloads: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
What class of sub are you in?

I've tried multiple classes and a fresh install. I have all the notes with RFB/RSRD alone, but almost none with ISP (for instance, running the single mission in the Slot with a Gato, I had notes for the SJ radar but not for the SD, WCA, 20 mm or the 3 in. It must be something I'm doing though, if nobody else is having the same issue. It is weird.

And I'll say thanks again to TorpX for keeping SH4 up to date and relevant and being so responsive on the forums.

Last edited by pdiddy; 02-07-15 at 01:42 AM.
pdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-15, 12:18 AM   #66
pdiddy
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1981 View Post
here is my mod list:
is it ok?I have got some ctds when load a save game,i dont know why...
JT, I am running those mods (except for OTC metric tools) and a few more with no crashes, so it shouldn't be a mod problem.
Old 02-07-15, 08:50 AM   #67
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

JT, those last two fix's for RSRDC (Fixed Zero Bomb Load RSRDC; Fixed_CD_sonar_RSRDC) are "fixed" in OTC. They are incorporated in the OTC for RSRDC mod. It wouldn't do to have a compatible mod without fixing what's apparently wrong with the original.

Having CTD's with saves is an on going problem. Especially if you've been changing in and out mods. NEVER replay a saved game point that didn't have your mod list you're currently using. There are some that think replaying the same saved point with different mods (to see what differences there may be) is a good thing. It's not!! Starting over with a whole new career, erasing any prior saved points is always the best idea when shifting out mods.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-15, 12:49 PM   #68
pdiddy
Gunner

Quote:
These are the critical files changed by ISP x.x:
all sub *.sim files >> sub physics
all sub *.cfg files >> engine settings

most ship *.sim files >> ship physics
a few ship *.cfg files >> ship displacements/speeds rec. manual

Scene.dat file >> weather/waves effects
Sim.cfg >> wave effects

also a few changes to special abilities in UPC Data folder.
My OCD has kicked in! Not trying to be a pest here. Actually trying to figure out how the game files work.

The UPCLocalization and UPCUnitsData files are the culprits for me. When I install ISP without those files (but keeping the UPCCrewData file), I get the notes back. I have the special abilities crewman too (who seem to work, i.e. when the idle fuel guy is in the control room, his propeller is black and when he is in the engine room, it turns green - superficial testing admittedly!) ***(edit: upon further testing, that didn't work out. The idle guy becomes the dive guy and the battery guy becomes the morale guy - at least according to the text window when you hover your cursor.) *** Sub acceleration and turning are definitely modified from stock RFB. I haven't tested any of the ship physics, but assume they are unaffected by these files?

Does this make any sense? I'm still trying to figure out why I'm experiencing the loss of notes in the first place.

How do you dig in to .tsr / .upc files? (I know I've created .tsr files from using the Sh4MissionEditor.) And I've used Silent 3ditor to dig in to the .dat files, but have no idea how the UPCData files are created or modified. (I'm sure there is a modding guide somewhere that I'm not finding!!!)

ISP is awesome!

Last edited by pdiddy; 02-07-15 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-08-15, 01:16 AM   #69
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post
The UPCLocalization and UPCUnitsData files are the culprits for me.
Does this make any sense? I'm still trying to figure out why I'm experiencing the loss of notes in the first place.
The UPCLocalization file has the text displays, but does not effect operation of equipment. I did change that file to display notes about the special abilities, of course. I don't recall making changes to the UPCUnitsData files.

Tbh, I've already forgotten a lot of the details of this stuff. You can open the *.cfg and *.tsr files with Notepad and make edits.

Maybe I used the same UPCLocalization file from the RFB version, instead of making a new one from the TMO file. This is the only explanation I can think of. If you uninstall all your mods, then make a copy of the TMO UPCLocalization file, you could hand edit the changes regarding the 'special ability' notes from ISP, then put that file in the ISP mod.

Old 02-08-15, 09:08 AM   #70
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

The UPC files are the worst ones for causing strange behavior with saved games, and the practice of shifting in and out mods. The reason is they are saved in your "SH4" folder, found within the "Documents" (or "My Documents" for an older OS) folder. The "SH4" folder is NOT to be confused with the main game folder called "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific". The SH4 folder is made automatically the first time you start the game, and remade anytime you delete it from your "Documents" folder. It contains your chosen game options like screen resolution, unit of measurements, manual or auto targeting etc. It also holds all of your automatic and self made saved game information that make up a saved game point.

I'm not saying this is anyone's problem that have been pointed out lately, but.....just for your information.......the saved UPC files in the SH4 folder will cause CTD's due to adding/removing mods, then replaying a saved game point. Any changes made to the saved UPC files are trouble when replaying a saved point. It's the changing of UPC files that have required the known instructions to "add this mod only when your in-port", not during an active patrol. The game automatically set's a new saved game point everytime you enter/leave port.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-15, 10:38 AM   #71
pdiddy
Gunner

Quote:
TorpX:
You can open the *.cfg and *.tsr files with Notepad and make edits.
Powerful piece of info, thanks.

To be clear, I am working with ISP 2.15 for RFB 2.0.

I copied the following segments from the RFB_2.0_Patch_23Apr2010 UPCLocalization file and pasted them into the ISP 2.15 UPCLocalization file and voila...all is well.

;UPCUnitsData\UpgradePacks.upc
;UPCUnitsData\Weapons.upc

(That was kind of cool.)

Quote:
CapnScurvy:
The reason is they (UPC files) are saved in your "SH4" folder, found within the "Documents" (or "My Documents" for an older OS) folder.
MultiSH4 solves this problem though right, by creating separate versions of this folder for each version of SH4 installed?

I initially thought this was my problem because I had a few versions on my computer that I hadn't used MultiSH4 with. (I have a USB 3.0, 2TB external drive that I've gone a little crazy with!) Anyway, I cleaned house (including the registry using CCleaner) started with a fresh copy of SH4, used MultiSH4 with fresh downloads of the mods and still had the same problem.

This was all to fix a very minor issue, but it was fun and I learned alot. I'm afraid I might have the modding bug now.

Last edited by pdiddy; 02-08-15 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-10-15, 10:45 AM   #72
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
bullhorn TORPX

If one begged and pleaded could you be talked into making a version of ISP with your latest fixes that would be compatible with the U-Boats and Operation Monsun and Omegu?

I'm wanting to start up another U-Boat campaign but really enjoy using your ISP. I think it would be lovely to use out in the north Atlantic especially if the fog was tweaked a bit for those coastal hazes storms of the North Atlantic.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 12:24 AM   #73
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Since I've never played the German side of SH4, I don't see myself as the one to take on this task. Besides, there are still things I would like to do for the RFB side of things.

On a related issue, I am coming back to base from a first patrol in a Dec. 2 '41 career (S-class). It has been a truly miserable experience. Most of my patrol time has been in 15 force wind. The weather hardly changed since I started, and has ruined my patrol. I found I was not able to move on the surface, and had to resort to submerged travel. You can imagine how slow this was. I have stuck to my house rules regarding TC, length of patrol, etc. Oh, I forgot to mention, I haven't seen a single ship, since leaving Manila.

As I don't wish to ever have another such patrol, I am going to take another look at the scene.dat file in ISP. The weather in my tests was never this bad, and I think I need to dial it back some. This is my next priority.

Old 02-11-15, 04:52 AM   #74
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

im using the Tmo version right now out of midway December 41 in a Tambor class i don't have a weather button so have to guess the wind i say maybe 8 knts every once in awhile get knock off course love that makes it a lot better
Old 02-11-15, 08:18 AM   #75
pdiddy
Gunner

Quote:
I have stuck to my house rules regarding TC, length of patrol, etc.
Would you share your house rules please?