SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-24-18, 06:26 PM   #1
BooBooLovesAll
Helmsman

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0
Default Just bought Cold Waters...

What mods (other than the reduce visibility one) should I get?

Already downloaded and printed off the manual.

Anything else I need to know?
BooBooLovesAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 07:06 PM   #2
Capt. Morgan
Commander

Downloads: 391

I like the Enhanced Navigation Map (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5265), It gives you more detailed depth information when in the strategic map.

You’re probably got your hands full learning how to fight the Los Angeles right now, but once you have, there’s the New Playable Subs & More mod (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=231690). It’ll let you play a large number of other nations subs, and there are 3 campaigns as a Soviet Commander

Capt. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 11:45 PM   #3
phelan1777
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooLovesAll View Post
What mods (other than the reduce visibility one) should I get?

Already downloaded and printed off the manual.

Anything else I need to know?
If you don't have this mod yet, explore it. :-)

https://github.com/CaptainX3/CW-Playable-Subs
Old 02-27-18, 06:45 PM   #4
BooBooLovesAll
Helmsman

Thanks guys!

Just need a tip for evasion..

After I have evaded a torpedo and hauling away at flank speed, the torpedo has gone into circle mode.

I am quite a good distance away, and the torpedo requires me before hunting me down. (Which I evade again)

Any advice to avoid this from happening?
Old 02-27-18, 09:54 PM   #5
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

I use the big-screen map in those situations because I can tell distances. I go silent and stay 8-10 kyds away. I am not sure of the minimum distance since depth, layers, self noise I am just not positive about. But, it seems to work.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-18, 01:40 PM   #6
Capt. Morgan
Commander

Radically change depth the instant the torpedo loses its lock. Use the keyboard ( hold S+E for full planes/balast up or W+C for full down, and X to level off), you want to be above or below its seeker cone when it comes around. Repeat until the torp looses you then stay at that depth until you're safely clear (2~4 Kyds). I also find evasion is easier in map view.

Old 02-28-18, 05:28 PM   #7
BooBooLovesAll
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Morgan View Post
Radically change depth the instant the torpedo loses its lock. Use the keyboard ( hold S+E for full planes/balast up or W+C for full down, and X to level off), you want to be above or below its seeker cone when it comes around. Repeat until the torp looses you then stay at that depth until you're safely clear (2~4 Kyds). I also find evasion is easier in map view.
Do you find that after you evaded the torpedo, and it starts a circle run, that it will relock on you even if you are a thousand + yards away?

That is what I am trying to shake loose.
Old 02-28-18, 05:38 PM   #8
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Yeah, that'll happen. A gimmicky way is to be in the middle of the circle searching torpedo such that it always circles around you. It's advised to this at an opposite depth of that of the torpedo's (i.e. it's shallow, you're deep).

I have generally not been able to shake a circle search torpedo and then put enough distance between me and it before it comes back around on its circle. If you shake it, you could launch a MOSS in hopes the circle search torpedo will go after that, but it could lock on to you on another leg of its search pattern. Hopefully you'll be far enough away at that point that it won't lock back on.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-18, 06:20 PM   #9
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Location: The land of the free with a glorious military history (France)
Downloads: 14

There is also the SAS* torpedo dodge, which involves closing in with the enemy boat and shaking lock at the right time and position to give back the present and save millions worth of taxpayer money.

*Special Accountant Service
Rufus Shinra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-18, 06:26 PM   #10
Capt. Morgan
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooLovesAll View Post
Do you find that after you evaded the torpedo, and it starts a circle run, that it will relock on you even if you are a thousand + yards away?
Happens all the time. It often takes me 3 or 4 tries going up or down each time before I can get the torpedo to stay in a circle search, but once it does, I'm free to go just as long as I don't return to the same depth as the torp. I'm playing on realistic level, and I rarlely get tagged by air-drop torpedos anymore.

Have a look at J.T's torpedo evasion video, he explaines it better than I.

youtube.com/watch?v=hvrrd9ivnYo

Old 03-06-18, 12:46 PM   #11
xevilpetex
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

For torpedo evasion I usually don't even bother trying to change depth. Run at flank and throw knuckles periodically until they self destruct. Its only about 5:50 of run time from splashdown on a UGMT-1. I set my stopwatch the second it hits and just keep running until its over.

I find I get myself into more trouble trying to change depth and get above a circle search because to stay above it you have to slow down and that means you are more vulnerable to depth charges or a ship or aircraft re-attacking with additional torps. Shallow and slow is a good way to get taken out with an air dropped torpedo.

I only try to get above/below a circle search if I need to take a shot myself and cant wait the 5 minutes.

Just running also work equally well in deep or shallow water.
xevilpetex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 04:13 PM   #12
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Location: The land of the free with a glorious military history (France)
Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by xevilpetex View Post
For torpedo evasion I usually don't even bother trying to change depth. Run at flank and throw knuckles periodically until they self destruct. Its only about 5:50 of run time from splashdown on a UGMT-1. I set my stopwatch the second it hits and just keep running until its over.

I find I get myself into more trouble trying to change depth and get above a circle search because to stay above it you have to slow down and that means you are more vulnerable to depth charges or a ship or aircraft re-attacking with additional torps. Shallow and slow is a good way to get taken out with an air dropped torpedo.

I only try to get above/below a circle search if I need to take a shot myself and cant wait the 5 minutes.

Just running also work equally well in deep or shallow water.
On a UGMT-1, it works well. On heavyweight torpedoes fired by submarines, it tends to be another issue entirely: they last for a frakking long time. Though it might only be in the Soviet subs mod rather than in vanilla.
Rufus Shinra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 09:48 AM   #13
xevilpetex
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Shinra View Post
On a UGMT-1, it works well. On heavyweight torpedoes fired by submarines, it tends to be another issue entirely: they last for a frakking long time. Though it might only be in the Soviet subs mod rather than in vanilla.
From the Soviets their longest duration heavy weight torpedo runs about 14:30 which is obviously longer than the air dropped ones but it also uses up a decent amount of time getting to you in the first place unless you are right on top of the sub that fired it.

Mk48's on the other hand do in fact chase you forever but they also change depth during their circle search and will reacquire from a long way off.
xevilpetex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 02:34 PM   #14
Capt. Morgan
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by xevilpetex View Post
...I only try to get above/below a circle search if I need to take a shot myself and cant wait the 5 minutes...
Or if there are SS-N-14 capable ships and/or multiple aircraft hunting you, and you need to get to quiet running asap.

Old 03-13-18, 01:13 PM   #15
Slabogaming
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 6
radar Got Cold Waters

Killerfish, yet again, has made an amazing game.
Slabogaming is offline   Reply With Quote