SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-01-14, 09:24 AM   #1
scrapser
Captain

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0
Default Super Mod Descriptions

Is there any material posted that gives a comparative overview of exactly what each mod has achieved? I'm looking for something brief that hits the high points. I realize supermods are usually a compilation of lots of smaller tweaks.

I have not run SH3 (or 4) for at least 5 years but now have the time to dive back in. It looks like a lot has been accomplished. I'm looking for a mod that includes a lot of realism, fixes and improvements yet allows you to turn realism settings on/off to suit your taste.

In the past I used a lot of small mods using JSGME. I played for a couple campaigns using SH3 World and later tried GWX 2.0. I currently have GWX 3 (Gold) but find its realism a bit spartan. SH3 World on the other hand is too easy. I would love to find something in-between the two.
i7 920 CPU
TR 120 Extreme HS (lapped)
6 GB OCZ Platinum 1600 (8x175 = 1400)
BFG GTX 295
Silverstone DA1000W PSU
Sony GDM-FW900 24" Wide Screen CRT
WinXP Pro 32-bit
scrapser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 03:02 PM   #2
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

What about NYGM. I think that is the second most popular megamod on subsim. It is also pretty decent IIRC, haven't run it in a while.
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 04:11 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

LSH does the most to expand the graphics and the feel of the game.

NYGM does the most to expand AI and gameplay.

WAC does the most to give a detailed campaign.

GWX does the most to strike a balance between the three concepts.
Old 09-02-14, 07:09 PM   #4
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
LSH does the most to expand the graphics and the feel of the game.

NYGM does the most to expand AI and gameplay.

WAC does the most to give a detailed campaign.

GWX does the most to strike a balance between the three concepts.
All true. I add GWX has the most extended series of compatible additional mods, because it is the most installed and used.

And waiting LSHv6...

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 05:56 PM   #5
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

You know this wouldn't be a bad idea. Something more descriptive then what Steve gave to point those who ask "which mod is best" too.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 07:17 PM   #6
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
You know this wouldn't be a bad idea. Something more descriptive then what Steve gave to point those who ask "which mod is best" too.
This question gets asked, and answered in considerable detail by knowledgeable people, about once every month or two. There's a thread on the current page of this forum - last post is 29 days ago. There is an active thread on the topic on the Silent Hunter III forum - last post was yesterday. Sailor Steve's post is as concise and accurate as you are going to get. Lots of people, myself included, have said the same thing in lots more words.

You will never get a better idea of what the different supermods are like than you can from actually trying them. It's a simple matter to make 5 copies of SH3, have one stock and one for each of GWX, LSH3, NYGM, and WAC. (Use a simple little program called MultiSH3 to keep saved games from getting tangled.) No amount of reading posts will be as enlightening as actually playing them. And no one else's opinion will tell you which one you like best. You can download every supermod for free. Downloading, unzipping, and activating one might take you as long as half an hour. I guarantee that it will take much longer than that to get detailed responses posted on this thread.

So there is no need to wait for other responses. You can search the SubSim forums and load up on other people's opinions - they're already posted. Or you can try all the supermods yourself and form your own opinion, which in the end is the only opinion that matters.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 07:47 PM   #7
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Thing is though for someone like me who can't make multiple copies of the game and normally sticks with one main mod and adds smaller compatible mods to complement the main one this is the only way of knowing what type of play the mods give.
Old 09-03-14, 08:15 PM   #8
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Thing is though for someone like me who can't m...ake multiple copies of the game and normally sticks with one main mod and adds smaller compatible mods to complement the main one this is the only way of knowing what type of play the mods give.
...But you can only know the diverse super mods testing they. It is a matter of taste (gameplay or graphics etc) . I tried all of they and in my PC remain GWX and LSH. Also I have three installations of SH4.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
Old 09-03-14, 09:15 PM   #9
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
...But you can only know the diverse super mods testing they. It is a matter of taste (gameplay or graphics etc) . I tried all of they and in my PC remain GWX and LSH. Also I have three installations of SH4.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
I know which is why i'm glad the the SH4 supermods are all able to be enabled/disabled via JGSME. If GWX was like that i'd have downloaded all the SH3 super mods by now. However it's an installation mod which mean once installed you can't disable it without uninstalling the whole game. Which honestly doesn't make much sense. Every other mod uses JGSME just fine so why not GWX? Or was it made before JGSME and thus needed a different instillation method and they just never changed it?
Old 09-03-14, 10:26 PM   #10
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
I know which is why i'm glad the the SH4 supermods are all able to be enabled/disabled via JGSME. If GWX was like that i'd have downloaded all the SH3 super mods by now. However it's an installation mod which mean once installed you can't disable it without uninstalling the whole game. Which honestly doesn't make much sense. Every other mod uses JGSME just fine so why not GWX? Or was it made before JGSME and thus needed a different instillation method and they just never changed it?
You just make multiple copies of SH3. Copy and paste. Name each one for the supermod you install. To keep your saved games separate, use a little program called MultiSH3. Now you have a complete copy of the game for stock SH3, GWX, LSH, NYGM, and WAC. You can play any one at any time. (I keep a second, pristine copy of stock SH3 for quick repairs.) No need to deactivate one with JSGME and then activate another. (Too much work! Whew!) Now it doesn't matter that GWX has its own activator, because ou don't have any need to deactivate it. Easy as gym!
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 11:51 PM   #11
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

OMFG I just figured it out! I never clicked the damn paste button!!!!! I'M AN IDIOT!!!!!
Old 09-04-14, 06:40 AM   #12
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
JSGME isn´t a totally accurate tool for enable-disable supermods or huge mods (many files/megas). It can leave some "residuals" in the original installation and you will have the damned CTDs. For super mods, ever is convenient a clean installation of SH3/SH4/SH5.

All the best.

Fitzcarraldo