SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-09-17, 10:14 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Microsoft gives up on Windows 10 Mobile

Another defeat for Windows 10.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41551546

They once wanted and advertized W10 to be the one-size-fits-all-solution for all hardware out there. Instead currently ten or twelve different versions of Windows 10 are in the wild, more than for any other Windows version before.

Roared and jumped like a tiger. Landed like a bedside carpet.

Some days ago it was reported that Bill Gates has switched to an Android cellphone already some time ago.
Old 10-09-17, 12:12 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

My eldest got a Windows fone for Christmas a couple of years ago from his uneducated (about computers and windows) grandma. What a work of... something... ain't art, ain't useful, ain't easy to use... very strange device. He and I are both looking forward to a provider switch that we're researching, so that we can have an excuse for new fones (I've got an LG dum-dum flip fone that is the absolute ~pits~)...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-17, 05:45 PM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

My daughter had a Windows phone for less than a year before she dropped it for Android. She didn't miss it.

I hear that Microsoft is likely to discontinue the Surface as sales are tanking big time. Consumer Reports said that a third of them will be dead before two years are up. They cannot be repaired: no new disk drives, no new batteries, keyboards, memory upgrades.......they are a cruel joke on people stupid enough to send Microsoft $2,000.00.

In the meantime, as Edge market share imitates a buffalo turd dropped off the Empire State Building, Microsoft is releasing Edge for Mac and Android users. Hope they get into the single digits of market share on that one.

What IS Microsoft thinking?
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-17, 09:53 PM   #4
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

Loved my windows 10 phone. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
App store was pretty dismal, but then again, most of the Android and Apple store content is junk too. The OS was excellent for me, and never had an issue.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-17, 10:27 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

There are so many holes in the Windows app store though. I can't think of the app now (guitar tab??), but my son cannot find a particular class of app, yet there are over a dozen of them to choose from for my Android tablet, from several free, to a few inexpensive offerings, all the way up to a whopping $10US for the "expensive" version. I'll not bring up the Windows "CTDs" on his fone, but multiple times a day...

As a side note, I taught him and the younger boy how to do "game" programming a couple of years ago for the XBox 360, and all that was going to be portable over to the phones... well, it was... for about 6 months, then just like they did when I was trying to program Access v2 back when (Win31 days), MS decided to keep moving the goal posts, and changed not only the language & tools, but the pre-reqs ~and~ the platforms ~and~ the OS... Designed obsolescence... keep the customer forking over money. Just like Apple does... btw, what is an XBox X1? or is it 1X??... wow

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 08:32 AM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by d@rk51d3 View Post
Loved my windows 10 phone. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
App store was pretty dismal, but then again, most of the Android and Apple store content is junk too. The OS was excellent for me, and never had an issue.
Android and Apple stores have great essential software and lots of great niche software and a lot of junk. At least it's not DANGEROUS junk.

Microsoft store doesn't have the essential or niche useful software AND is riddled with junk. DANGEROUS junk.

They are not equivalent at all.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-17, 07:06 AM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

What a waste of a great commercial

Old 11-06-17, 04:28 PM   #8
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Android and Apple stores have great essential software and lots of great niche software and a lot of junk. At least it's not DANGEROUS junk.

Microsoft store doesn't have the essential or niche useful software AND is riddled with junk. DANGEROUS junk.

They are not equivalent at all.
Can't say I've found a single app on any store that I'd consider essential.
As for dangerous, well......
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote