Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-08-17, 01:35 PM   #1
A-Ganger
Sparky

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default RA Mod quick missions

Not positive, but did you guys making these RA mods somehow manipulate the entire quick missions system?

The reason I'm asking;
P3 or Helo, every single quick mission puts your plane ALMOST DIRECTLY in between 2 warships that can shoot a butterfly out of the sky at 15 miles!

On top of that, when you get a missile lock, the auto pilot turns directly at a warship or towards the path the missile came from? Who in the world would turn directly at a SAM etc?

Another issues, the O.H. Perry is useless. I sit and watch it just driving around and it seems to shoot at the warships whenever it decides to instead of just unloading on one of them. Why would a warship NOT just kill the enemy?

The P3 cannot go after the sub because it ALMOST always starts near one of the warships, which has to be killed first?
And the P3 is barely capable of killing one of them because it has to get WAY too close to launch the missiles.

And worse, I'd say 4 out of 10 quick missions I play results in immediate destruction of the P3 WITHOUT any crew warnings.
It goes like this. Ready, set, Start Mission, screen loads, shot down..A mere 5 sec and dead? And usually that occurs because the mission starts with the P3 within 5 miles of one or both of the warships.

Frustrating having to start over 6 times just to get a mission to run that doesn't result in immediate death lol

Last edited by A-Ganger; 10-10-17 at 08:57 AM.
A-Ganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 10:58 AM   #2
tAKticool47
Bosun

Downloads: 1

I have a ton of bad similar results with the quick missions. First off, exactly as you described, I spawn on top of bad guys. Sometimes as a sub I am so close to other bad guy subs we can "see each other " under water! Sometimes I am literally ramming the neutral ships. always I am within 5 miles so any subroc type weapon will fail, even a harpoon from a FFG needs room to fly ... It's ridiculous.

I tried messing with the Random Seed numbers , that seems to give me a ridiculously varied set of bad guy targets but not much else.

RA makes it very hard to "play for fun" because even with truth on, it's a much much much harder game. Bad guys better and own weapons worse. Probably makes a better player though.
tAKticool47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 01:11 PM   #3
A-Ganger
Sparky

I thought maybe it is all due to playing Hard difficulty, but I seem to recall similar issues even on easy. Guess I'll try and easy one to see.
However, even on Hard, placing 400 kts max speed prop plane within missile strike range of any enemy is nuts lol
It doesn't even give you time to think much less react.
Old 10-12-17, 01:27 PM   #4
A-Ganger
Sparky

Just played 2 quick missions, both of them, shot down "without" any warning!
Actually 1 st mission had no warnings, 2nd mission went down like this. Missile L... shotdown.
Certainly the P3 is capable of finding a missile more than .0238 seconds before it hits you lol
Another bug in the quick mission system.
Old 10-12-17, 05:58 PM   #5
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Just keep in mind, in RA *any* weapon has some odds of being a dud.
Ivan mentions that in the readme's, he might have buried it in the fine print, but he does mention it.

I don't think I've had an actual torp failure in 1.43 yet, but someone else was speculating that torps are now less likely to hit their target if that target is a modern sub. I've also had my back sides handed to me on some missions by the AI.

In 1.43's quick missions, I've had to work a lot more against the newer subs but ships haven't changed much and I had a pretty easy time against a Foxtrot last night.

For now, I'm giving Ivan the benefit of the doubt. Think about it, some of us are still playing a ten year old game and its still throwing curves at us.

In terms of history, SC and DW were always meant to reflect modern warfare. Maybe, in the meantime, some Navy's didn't invest a lot and tried to skate by while others poured a lot of money into their fleet and training?

How do you, as the player, deal with that?

Besides, we're talking RA 1.43. Maybe things will change again by RA 1.55?
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 06:20 PM   #6
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ganger View Post
Just played 2 quick missions, both of them, shot down "without" any warning!
Actually 1 st mission had no warnings, 2nd mission went down like this. Missile L... shotdown.
Certainly the P3 is capable of finding a missile more than .0238 seconds before it hits you lol
Another bug in the quick mission system.
In quick missions, you don't get to decide where to position yourself before the shooting starts.
You don't have the option of "setting the battlefield" or doing recon prior to an attack. That's what regular missions and campaigns are for.

Lately, I use quick missions like I'm going to an attack simulator on shore. Use the sim time to knock off the rust or try new tactics before you deploy.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 08:19 AM   #7
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

The quick missions were this silly in the stock game, too. It's just the changes to RA amplify the silliness It's unfortunate, they had real potential with the quick missions.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote