SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-05-07, 09:40 PM   #1
suBB
Chief

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default New MP Missions In The Works – I Need Some Help Please

Hi, long time no see :p

Well, here I go:

Since Conflicting Interests V1.01 I’m (slowly) getting into the mood of editing again, but I need some assistance with something 1st. But 1st, I need to tell you what I have in store. The next set of maps will include a 3 map set involving infiltration, missile deployment and survival of a lone 688 up against anywhere from light to heavy RU defenses where AI platforms can be influenced by human playables. The problem is I need to find a good area for this to take place, which is where you guys come in. Maybe someone can find an area that might recreate a scenario in a book you’ve read or something. Meanwhile I’ll start looking as well.

The following are the parameters I have in place already, I just need a play area.

MISSION TITLE:

TBD

PLATFORM:

DW on 1.04 / LWAMI ONLY. However, the map can be played on stock, but quality and integrity of the experience can’t be guaranteed.

RUN-TIME:

4 hours which will involve the requirement of achieving safe distance unharmed, ROE compliance / violation, patrolling, intel gathering, POSID and authorization, asset management, human influence over AI platforms.

PLAYABLES:

1.. 1 x 688i

2.. 2 x Akula 2 (maybe 3)

AREA: (TBD)

Three separate MP maps: For this to fly I need a ‘general area’ of sorts that will be patrolled / defended by RU forces, where RU AI will be influenced by human playables. Random patrol routes by AI platforms (air and surface) will include passive buoy and ASW mine deployment. I need the 688 to be able to approach from various entryways into this general area. 688 will be required to infiltrate RU defenses unharmed. RU will be required to patrol, classify and eliminate the 688 if/ when found. If detected, the presence of the 688 could lead (random events) to additional RU assets (asw maritime patrol, surface, etc) dispatched to the area(MAP A only). Map A will include light to medium RU defenses depending on the 688 skippers’ abilities of remaining stealth while in transit and avoiding detection. Map C will include the same mission statement for the 688, except this time RU defenses will be heavy, and possibly a 3rd RU platform added. MAP B will be a strike mission for the 688 where intel must be collected and authorization must be granted to attack and will then be required to reach safe distance unharmed. RU will attempt to prevent any action(s) of the 688, as well as attempt to eliminate the 688 once located, POSID’ed and authorized to do so.

POSID:

ALL MAPS - RU must attempt to POSID the 688, radio in the contact to neighboring units and wait for authorization to attack. Which means any sort of randomness I decide to spawn from that will require the detecting RU playable to achieve comms depth in order to be triggered.

MAP B – If possible, 688 must POSID target of interest with UAV and radio in the contact(achieve comms depth).
If 688 fails to POSID target of interest, 688 must abort mission and reach safe distance.

ROE:

Map A - RU ROE will be HOLD until POSID on 688, followed by authorization of attack and elimination of the 688. For the 688, ROE will be HOLD but subject to change if any RU weapon comes within critical distance of ownship. When this occurs, the 688 will be authorized to attack, however still required to reach safe distance, in this case infiltration into general area.

Map B – RU ROE will be HOLD until attacked, followed by POSID and authorization. The 688 will be required to gain intelligence of a target of interest, by means of a submarine launched UAV (credit to MaHuJa), POSID, authorization, deploy missiles and reach safe distance unharmed. ROE is therefore HOLD until intel is obtained followed by authorization.

MAP C – both sides ROE FREE but with RU heavy defenses. Human RU will have influence over AI platforms and required to locate and destroy the 688. The 688 will be required to reach safe distance unharmed, be it by means of stealth or shooting its way out in the progress.

ACOUSTIC CONDITIONS:

Surface duct - Through extensive testing of various SSP, sea state, weather, seasonal and bottom types, the SSP type is really the contributing factor to acoustic conditions. However the terrain chosen for this mission combined with said SSP will create a mixed acoustic environment in shallow waters, forcing a bottom limited SSP into existence, until deeper water is achieved.

TRANSIT DISTANCE:

Transit Distance (TBD) will be feasible and achievable by the 688 at cruising speeds that allow the 688 to maintain a sense of stealth. RU playable will have the entire general area to patrol with assistance of / influence over AI platforms

OUTCOME CONDITIONS(subject to occur at any moment based on the state of the situation in real-time):

MAPS A & C:

1.. 688 must reach safe distance unharmed within 4 hours. If reach safe distance unharmed, mission ends.

2.. If 688 does not reach safe distance within 4 hours. RU has technically prevented the 688 from reaching safe distance, mission ends.

3.. if 688 is destroyed by RU or careless action, mission ends

4.. if ROE is violated by RU, mission ends. (MAP A only)

5.. If ROE is violated by US, mission ends (MAP A only)

MAPS B:

1.. if 688 gain intel, wait for authorization, deploy missiles, successfully destroy target(s) and reach safe distance unharmed, mission ends.

2.. If 688 fails to gain intel, 688 must abort and attempt to reach safe distance. If 688 reach safety after abort, mission ends.

3.. if 688 destroyed mission ends

4.. if ROE is violated by RU, mission ends.

5.. If ROE is violated by US, mission ends

6.. If 688 does not reach safe distance within 4 hours. RU has technically prevented the 688 from reaching safe distance, mission ends.

DYNAMIC LOCATIONS:

688 spawn – various entry points into general area, MAP B

RU spawn - playables within the general area. RU AI TBD, MAP B

RANDOMNESS:

UAV spawn - simulate various flight plans (dynamic group)

RU surface – RU surface and maritime patrol, passive buoy deployment, asw mine deployment. (dynamic group)

Target spawn – simulate reliability of intelligence, forced to abort operations if not reliable. (dynamic group)

LAST MINUTE THOUGHTS:

I think deployment of the UAV in MAP B could justify RU ROE to change from HOLD to FREE, w/o need to classify the 688.

Since I have a laptop, full function testing will require two people minimum.

Due to the availability of MP mission objective players, map will be created for MP only and not coded for SP (AI coding), which will lead to faster completion time.

Need to figure out how to allow the 688 to deploy UAV at will based on certain conditions (might need doctrine)

That’s all I have for now.. I appreciate the help / feedback….

Thanks,

suBB
suBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-07, 10:56 PM   #2
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

This sounds like it's going to be an interesting project.

As far as possible OpAreas go, choices are somewhat limited by the fact that Russia only has 4 points of access to the worlds oceans: the barrents/arctic, the baltic, the black sea, and okoskt. Chosing between those is going to depend on your backstory and the tactical situation you want to create.

As far as backstories go, your strongest candidate is the Baltic, followed by the Black Sea. Russia has been freaking out the Baltic states as of late, and with a little bit of imagination, you can apply similar pressures in southwestern asia that might cause Russia to come into conflict with the Ukraine, or more likely, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Armenia. Turkey would likely side with G/A/A over Russia, which means NATO has access to the Black Sea. The barrents isn't bad, but the White Sea (S. of arctic, E. of Barrents) and Okhost don't seem to be areas where naval conflict is plausible.

In terms of assets, the Barrents is strongest, since that's where most of the sub fleet is based--akulas in particular. Of course, with a little bit of strategic pretext, those assets can be redeployed. The Black Sea is going to be the worst off in terms of assets present without being redeployed, sub assets in particular.

Tactically speaking, I think depth is going to be a consideration, since you'll probably want a layer to play with. This will be a major blow to the baltic and barrents. It'll hurt the White sea as well, but it does have some deep canyons. The Black Sea and Okhost can both get quite deep.
Old 09-05-07, 10:58 PM   #3
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Oh, by the way, DW doesn't "force a bottom limited SSP into existance." If the SSP is set to SD or CV but is in fact, limited by the bottom, the surface duct in the upper layer will still exist.
Old 09-06-07, 12:05 AM   #4
suBB
Chief

Thanks a bunch molon, I’m checking depth in these areas in the editor. And yes I’m definitely interested in a layer as well deep canyons. Also if you can point me in the right direction as to the actual filenames for various .wavs used (such as check for radio messages) that would save me the trouble(and .zip file size) of custom sounds. I know there is a list somewhere out there I can’t seem to remember where I saw it last.

thanks
Old 09-06-07, 06:31 AM   #5
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suBB

Thanks a bunch molon, I’m checking depth in these areas in the editor. And yes I’m definitely interested in a layer as well deep canyons. Also if you can point me in the right direction as to the actual filenames for various .wavs used (such as check for radio messages) that would save me the trouble(and .zip file size) of custom sounds. I know there is a list somewhere out there I can’t seem to remember where I saw it last.

thanks
http://www.subguru.com/DW_missions/m...itorsounds.zip
Old 09-07-07, 06:17 AM   #6
suBB
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe
This sounds like it's going to be an interesting project.

As far as possible OpAreas go, choices are somewhat limited by the fact that Russia only has 4 points of access to the worlds oceans: the barrents/arctic, the baltic, the black sea, and okoskt. Chosing between those is going to depend on your backstory and the tactical situation you want to create.

As far as backstories go, your strongest candidate is the Baltic, followed by the Black Sea. Russia has been freaking out the Baltic states as of late, and with a little bit of imagination, you can apply similar pressures in southwestern asia that might cause Russia to come into conflict with the Ukraine, or more likely, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Armenia. Turkey would likely side with G/A/A over Russia, which means NATO has access to the Black Sea. The barrents isn't bad, but the White Sea (S. of arctic, E. of Barrents) and Okhost don't seem to be areas where naval conflict is plausible.

In terms of assets, the Barrents is strongest, since that's where most of the sub fleet is based--akulas in particular. Of course, with a little bit of strategic pretext, those assets can be redeployed. The Black Sea is going to be the worst off in terms of assets present without being redeployed, sub assets in particular.

Tactically speaking, I think depth is going to be a consideration, since you'll probably want a layer to play with. This will be a major blow to the baltic and barrents. It'll hurt the White sea as well, but it does have some deep canyons. The Black Sea and Okhost can both get quite deep.
It looks like the black sea will be the op area for the 3 map set and here are some things to consider:

1.. for what I have in mind, the black sea offers a number of entryways spanning over a 280nm stretch, on a longitude roughly at the RU / Georgian boarder. So for map A, the 688 approach could be anywhere from the south along that stretch. Considering the maritime support, buoy deployment, 2 AK2s, and influence over AI platforms(mainly air units), with the right planning RU shouldn’t have a problem covering the entire area. But if the 688 is detected, I’ll spawn another maritime unit and have it dispatched into the general area of RU forces, since air support can arrive much faster than anything else. I do have concern that appears to be almost a dead giveaway, and that is POSID conducted by AI platforms. I’ll need to test human influence over AI but 9 out of 10 AI gets the class dead on 100%, at least this was my experience in conflict of interest v1.00 on 1.03 and lwami < 3.08. For this reason I would like POSID conducted by human drivers, but still I need to test human influence on v.104 / 3.08. Also when ROE comes into play, if by default ROE is peacetime, AI will class a hostile as friendly and not engage, when they should class as unknown(I think) since intentions aren’t very clear at that point. But in wartime, AI will class as hostile and engage. So when attempting to influence AI platforms, always use unknown until otherwise, or AI will violate ROE.

2.. we could enter the area from the east anywhere on a 144nm stretch of latitude, same level of support as (1) but when air assets come into play for RU I think 144nm can be covered much faster than 280nm. For that reason the experience may be short lived.

3.. deep waters and layer present in the black sea, but no canyons to be found anywhere in areas suggested. Too bad we can’t edit our own land formations. Moving forward the baltic and barrents will serve purpose for a future project involving shallow water ops, so I’ll keep these areas in mind.

4.. back story-wise there is no need to consider the white sea or Okhost, so for those reasons I left them alone. Based on your suggestions, the black sea could lead to yet another project but different mission parameters, mainly for akula missions, but that is TBD.

Good stuff, Molon … I guess I’ll get cracking with testing.

Thanks!!!
Old 09-07-07, 07:15 AM   #7
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Quote:

1.. for what I have in mind, the black sea offers a number of entryways spanning over a 280nm stretch, on a longitude roughly at the RU / Georgian boarder. So for map A, the 688 approach could be anywhere from the south along that stretch. Considering the maritime support, buoy deployment, 2 AK2s, and influence over AI platforms(mainly air units), with the right planning RU shouldn’t have a problem covering the entire area. But if the 688 is detected, I’ll spawn another maritime unit and have it dispatched into the general area of RU forces, since air support can arrive much faster than anything else. I do have concern that appears to be almost a dead giveaway, and that is POSID conducted by AI platforms. I’ll need to test human influence over AI but 9 out of 10 AI gets the class dead on 100%, at least this was my experience in conflict of interest v1.00 on 1.03 and lwami < 3.08. For this reason I would like POSID conducted by human drivers, but still I need to test human influence on v.104 / 3.08. Also when ROE comes into play, if by default ROE is peacetime, AI will class a hostile as friendly and not engage, when they should class as unknown(I think) since intentions aren’t very clear at that point. But in wartime, AI will class as hostile and engage. So when attempting to influence AI platforms, always use unknown until otherwise, or AI will violate ROE.

The AI doesn't handle very many different versions of ID. It's pretty much on or off. So, to make sure that enemy platforms would engage players at more or less the same time that platform would engage if a human was controlling it, the distance that ID occurs at is longer than you might be used to in LW/Ami.

Quote:
3.. deep waters and layer present in the black sea, but no canyons to be found anywhere in areas suggested. Too bad we can’t edit our own land formations. Moving forward the baltic and barrents will serve purpose for a future project involving shallow water ops, so I’ll keep these areas in mind.

If you're dead set on canyons, the White Sea may be the place to go. That sort of area is usually only used for under the ice boomer hunting though. And depending on what you want to do, the canyons might not be well placed.
Old 09-07-07, 04:44 PM   #8
suBB
Chief

You think(IIRC) the “plot solution” script will work on land-based targets, I can’t see why it wouldn’t? If so, that script + approach goals = UAV real-time data for map B.
Old 09-08-07, 12:32 AM   #9
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
You think(IIRC) the “plot solution” script will work on land-based targets, I can’t see why it wouldn’t? If so, that script + approach goals = UAV real-time data for map B.
I used the solution script in Taiwan ARG to provide the 688I the precise location of SSM batteries. They show up as surface instead of land, but you can put the waypoint over it just as easily.