SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-13-16, 12:29 PM   #1
Gramnaster
Nub

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Support Torpedo Attacks During High Winds

Hello, everyone!

I've been playing SH3 with LSH2015 for the past...2-3 months? But I'm still having problems with torpedo attacks during high winds such as 15 m/s. Just yesterday, the waves crashed heavily unto my IX and my released torpedoes, such that my torpedoes would always be 5+ m below my target's keel, rendering even its magnetic trigger useless. That is despite me setting my torpedoes to the following settings:

Torpedo type: Steam (1st avail.)
Depth: 0m
Trigger type: Magnet
Speed: Fast

Somehow, my crew are not allowed to man my turrets in this wind speed. This happens in locations throughout the Atlantic Ocean (near France, Iceland, and Ireland) and the North Sea. In the North Sea, I had winds with 15 m/s even tho there wasn't rain or storm. Just high winds. If it matters, it's currently March 1940. Probably Spring at that hemisphere.

Would appreciate any form of help to this! Thank you in advanced!
Gramnaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-16, 02:04 PM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Gramnaster
It is almost impossible to launch a torpedo attack at very high wind speeds.
Trying to maintain periscope depth is also extremely difficult with the boat drifting down to around 20 metres at times.
Likewise from the hydro station to periscope depth again is almost impossible.
At 0 knot it is also difficult to surface unless you add some speed.
In these sort of circumstances I usually move to a different location.
The only other option is to start your attack some distance away with some speed at 8 to 10 metres depth.
Your target is pitching and rolling as well so it is not just you that has a problem and he will have problems trying to see you in those high seas.
Unfortunately even if your torpedoes are true they could still miss as the targets bow or stern comes out of the water just as your torpedoes reach it.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-16, 04:20 PM   #3
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Exactly as THEBERBSTER stated. The formula for a non turbulent torpedo run is:

.4 x wind speed.

In this case for 15 mps you need to set the torp depth to at least 6m or more so that the torp will run without premature detonation.

If you have a ship with a greater draft (say 9m) I would set the torp depth to the minimum (6m), leave the trigger setting to magnetic, and hope for a direct hit.

The proper response is to wait for a less stormy weather, but the weather can last a long time.

If it's a convoy I usually wait, but a single merchant that is worth it I will give it a try.

And just to add you have several variables that contribute to torpedo failures...
1)weather, ships rolling over the torp as it passes.
2)0m depth in high seas.
3)fast setting on torps
4)MOST IMPORTANT: no zero angle shots!

German engineering was still working with WWI tech when it came to torps and u-boats. The war had advanced too far ahead of the tech.you need to eliminate the chances for these failures. A zero gyro angle is the most effective way.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc

Last edited by bstanko6; 06-13-16 at 07:46 PM.
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-16, 05:58 AM   #4
Mittelwaechter
The Old Man

Downloads: 35

"40% of windspeed" is important for h.sie patch only. LSH/GWX/Vanilla has no such rule. You may set the depth to your liking.

But there are some general thoughts to consider:
- in good weather and good position - use impact pistol only (switch magnetic fuse off) to ensure no premature detonation and waste of 25 000 to 45 000 Reichsmark (a combat worthy Bf109 was ~120 000 - as was a PzKw III). Later in war the magnetic pistol becomes more reliable, but stays somewhat uncertain.
- in good weather and bad position - try to better your position. If not possible and target juicy, use the magnetic pistol and hope for the best. Correct depth setting is ~1m below the keel.
- bad weather and good position - use impact pistol only, as the tagets keel dances up and down in the waves and may cause the torpedo to bounce off downward (no 90° impact into the downward rounded hull), or pass the keel deep due to its state "high". The premature detonation problem adds to this situation.
- bad weather and bad conditions - better your position and use impact pistol. If not possible and target is "Illustrious", try to enhance the chance to get the keel into the desired position while passing it, by shooting from AOB ~0 or ~180, to run the torpedo along the keel. At some point it will have the correct depth and the magnetic field will trigger the fuse. The bow/stern may be "down in the waves" the moment your eel arrives? "Bad luck, Herr Kaleun! Better your position I said!"

The guns are of no use in bad weather conditions, as the deck is rocking/lurching in the high seas. The 8.8/10.5 is hit by tons of water incoming - breaking bones and sweeping crew over board. The Flaks would waste ammo only, as there is no stable base to provide conditions for accurate aim.
By the way - they didn't attack in bad weather conditions completely - no guns, no torpedos. The torpedo depth keeping device was heavily affected by the high seas. H.sie is very moderate, to let you have some game play fun!

It's quite realistic to limit the gun use to wind state 7 or lower. Ask for it, if you want to cheat.

Edit: the impact pistol is active inherently - the switch turns the magnetic pistol on/off.

Last edited by Mittelwaechter; 06-14-16 at 06:09 AM.
Mittelwaechter is offline   Reply With Quote