Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 06-08-09, 01:42 PM   #16
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

It hasent been released yet.
Old 06-09-09, 07:20 AM   #17
BilboSmeggins
Sailor man

Downloads: 1

Ahh... I thought the opening post said June 8th? Delayed then?
BilboSmeggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 10:28 AM   #18
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboSmeggins View Post
Ahh... I thought the opening post said June 8th? Delayed then?
They pushed it back to the 17th for the E3 (it ended June 4th; that's not far off from June 8th) gathering and showed it off there. Also, there was some issues with the publisher that Neobq was having, but they cleared all of them up. IGN did a report on it.

777 Studios is still going to be putting it out in North America.

But on, there are two places as of now you can buy it from. The first one announced was GoGamer.com, and that was about two weeks ago. It's $40 bucks no matter where you go, but the GoGamer site offers free magazine subscriptions if it's your first time registering there (you can pick from a list of around a dozen). Additionally, they do not charge extra for shipping fees on it. However, they only ship to North America.

Here's a link for it:

http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.h...tid=SimHQROFAd

The second is FSPilotShop.com. It's $44.95 there, but that's because they ship internationally. I'm not sure what they might offer from joining up because I used GoGamer. Here's a link for it:

http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_i...5195f08d3caedb

Anyway, it doesn't matter what version you get in terms of features. Neobq has included a 150 page manual detailing things like mission types, gameplay, etc. It's not like Red Baron 3D's manual in terms of content (like historical tales and such; trust me on this, I got a chance to look at it), but it still tells you a lot about the game. Also, it's got a few features the Russian release didn't include (such as wounding, new skins for the D.VII and SPAD, and a few other things including some new planes). Finally, there's a 14x19 inch map included with the Dicta Boelcke on the back and a few paintings done for the game on it as well.

However, the Nieuport 17 and Albatros D.V were not included in this release due to some model problems that 777 Studios wanted fixed which were spotted in the Russian version. But you can still fly the D.VII, Breguet 14, and the SPAD, along with the exclusive Nieuport 28 and DFW C.V (these two were included to compensate for the removal of the Nieuport 17 and Albatros).

There are about 4 missions available for each plane as far as training ones are concerned. The patch for the Albatros and Nieuport 17 might be out and ready for download before June 17th (the update system ROF is using supplies CONSTANT updates, and they're not big or hard to download either with the log-in system; actually they weren't very big in size either at around 20MB or so).

Additionally, the missions for the campaign mode are ALWAYS randomly generated. There are around 8 types of missions total for it including lone wolf patrols (shoot any enemy aircraft down that you spot on a patrol), balloon attacks, photographic recons (this is where you can fly the Breguet or DFW), and ground attacks (depending on what you're attacking, you can fly the Breguet or DFW; sometimes, all it will take is two machine guns with incendiary bullets loaded to do the job).

You can pick pretty much any Jasta in existence during the war and around a dozen paint schemes for each plane (all of which are historical or were inspired by historical ones; Loewenhardt's laughing snake is included just so you know lol). At the E3, Jason Williams (the president of 777 Studios) showed off campaign mode features as well as single mission features and I was really impressed, particularly with his demonstration of the AI. At one point, he got to chasing a SPAD that he thought was fleeing, and the bugger kicked his rudder around and did a bank at the same time about 3,000 feet up. He opened fire on Jason, wounded him after a short burst, and forced him to land before proceeding to strafe him repeatedly. It was cool, lol.

I think that just about covers it. I'm helping out Neobq ATM with some of the historical aspects of the game for dogfighting tactics and the actual planes themselves. They're working on some DLC that will be expanding the game outwards to 1916 and early 1917. One of the awesome things about their setup is that they're collaborating with the players to find out what they want and what can be done to improve the game. Plus, they release new content for download and use EVERY week, no exceptions.
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 11:38 AM   #19
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Nice update SH. I will be getting this game when it is ready to be had
Old 06-09-09, 11:49 AM   #20
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Wait...so what planes are flyable or will be flyable?
Old 06-09-09, 01:19 PM   #21
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

While I like the graphics and the damage thingy is great I'm going to wait on this one and see how everything turns out.

It has 4 planes and a handfull of SM.

That's fine for $19.99 But not $40.00 - $45.00

Will future planes and missions be payware ?

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 02:53 AM   #22
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1 View Post
Wait...so what planes are flyable or will be flyable?
The Fokker D.VII, DFW, SPAD, Nieuport 28, Breguet 14, and the Nieuport 17 and Albatros D.V will be in a patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL
While I like the graphics and the damage thingy is great I'm going to wait on this one and see how everything turns out.

It has 4 planes and a handfull of SM.
I'm not thrilled about the low number of planes or single missions either, but where the game really makes up for this is in its campaign mode and multiplayer mode (ESPECIALLY the multiplayer mode; you can have up to 32 people flying together online at once and expansions for that number are planned; you get massive dogfights all the time, lol).

Quote:
That's fine for $19.99 But not $40.00 - $45.00
I disagree here, but that's because they're a tiny Russian developer that can't work on their own time (unlike mod teams...) and have been trying to expand their business more and more. And I think they've earned it.

Just remember that they built this game up over 5 years from scratch, and with all the features that make it up (like the physics system and air particle system), that's quite an impressive feat.

It's the most realistic flight sim you're going to get to date, quite simply.

Quote:
Will future planes and missions be payware ?
Yes and no. Missions will not cost money, planes will. It will work like this: a new plane is released, the new plane costs like $3 or $4 upon release, after 30 days it's made free for download for the world. You'll get skins and the like with the plane as well.

As of right now, there are premade skins available for use. They are still testing out a custom paint scheme creator program for the game that will probably be done by July. It was going to be included in the release, but they had some debugging troubles with it that needed fixing.
Old 06-10-09, 03:55 AM   #23
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Hunter View Post
(ESPECIALLY the multiplayer mode; you can have up to 32 people flying together online at once and expansions for that number are planned; you get massive dogfights all the time, lol).
Having played IL2 a lot online I can answer that such event of a ''massive'' dogfights occure rarely.
you perhaps find yourself here and there in dogfights with 8 participants.
its due the the time you spot people fighting and the flightime it takes you to get really involed and by the time you finally get there the situation has changed. It's due that people fly as Lone wolfs and ignore team tactics in most cases

unless you get into a Online Squadron/Clan/Jasta or whatever your not going to see enjoyable size furballs.
its teamwork on both sides that make Flightsims online fun, but on public you quikly notice that people just go ''lone wolf'' to rank up their scores by themselfs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Hunter
It's the most realistic flight sim you're going to get to date, quite simply.
Most realistic Flightsim??? perhaps WW1 but not generally the most realistic Flight sim to date.

HunterICX
Old 06-10-09, 04:20 AM   #24
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
Having played IL2 a lot online I can answer that such event of a ''massive'' dogfights occure rarely.
IL2 is not ROF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX
you perhaps find yourself here and there in dogfights with 8 participants.
Wait- do you mean SP? If so, you can get up to 50 planes at times (without much impact on the FPS) but 16 was the most I've seen so far from people posting screenshots.

Quote:
its due the the time you spot people fighting and the flightime it takes you to get really involed and by the time you finally get there the situation has changed. It's due that people fly as Lone wolfs and ignore team tactics in most cases
This is not the case for ROF. You can either start off at your aerodrome or in flight, depending on what the server admin wants and what the mission is.

Quote:
unless you get into a Online Squadron/Clan/Jasta or whatever your not going to see enjoyable size furballs.
Strong and unjust criticism. You clearly haven't talked to any of the Russian players yet...

Quote:
its teamwork on both sides that make Flightsims online fun, but on public you quikly notice that people just go ''lone wolf'' to rank up their scores by themselfs.
You get that with any game, though. That's why I joined Jasta 5 when RB3D came out.

Quote:
Most realistic Flightsim??? perhaps WW1 but not generally the most realistic Flight sim to date.
What is then? What other can compare with this:

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/143419..._2_041709.html
Old 06-10-09, 04:30 AM   #25
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Default New Screenhots

Old 06-10-09, 04:50 AM   #26
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Quote:
IL2 is not ROF.
I know, but it is still a CFS

Quote:
Wait- do you mean SP? If so, you can get up to 50 planes at times (without much impact on the FPS) but 16 was the most I've seen so far from people posting screenshots.
I was talking about MP games where the 32 player slots are taken up by players.
now you really think 32 players are going to be in 1 dogfight?
unless the mapsize is small which I know it isnt your not going to see big furballs unless you play on both sides as teams and you confront at a certain point.

Quote:
This is not the case for ROF. You can either start off at your aerodrome or in flight, depending on what the server admin wants and what the mission is.
Mid air spawns ruin everything IMO, take offs and landings are the trickiest and yet most fun parts of any Flightsims.

but I wasnt refering to that...its the time that you SPOT contacts (by this time probally dots) and the time for you to get there in a aircraft which isn't going really fast. by the time you reach the area where the fight has been going on since you spotted it might be long over.

Quote:
Strong and unjust criticism. You clearly haven't talked to any of the Russian players yet...
How so? people in groups/clans/Jasta's play way better as a team then a bunch of people that are not related to eachother by any group including the Russians.
and I've played with them plenty of times in IL2 and other games.

Quote:
What is then? What other can compare with this:

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/143419..._2_041709.html
perhaps it's time to get some glasses?

Quote:
read the bold/italic/underline part REALLY carefully.

HunterICX
Old 06-10-09, 08:19 AM   #27
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
I know, but it is still a CFS
Although they're completely different otherwise.

Quote:
I was talking about MP games where the 32 player slots are taken up by players.
now you really think 32 players are going to be in 1 dogfight?
Like I said, have you read the Russians discussing the game? It's not uncommon to get that many people flying in one.

Quote:
unless the mapsize is small which I know it isnt your not going to see big furballs unless you play on both sides as teams and you confront at a certain point.
This screenshot is from an online match:

Quote:
Mid air spawns ruin everything IMO, take offs and landings are the trickiest and yet most fun parts of any Flightsims.
Even though it's a combat flight simulator?

Quote:
but I wasnt refering to that...its the time that you SPOT contacts (by this time probally dots) and the time for you to get there in a aircraft which isn't going really fast. by the time you reach the area where the fight has been going on since you spotted it might be long over.
And this is only reserved for WWI flight sims and/or Rise of Flight?

No. It comes with any CFS game you purchase. You're going to hit skirmishes and you're going to miss them. It's inevitable and comes with ANY online game (be it a tank simulator, aircraft simulator, or infantry simulator).

Quote:
How so? people in groups/clans/Jasta's play way better as a team then a bunch of people that are not related to eachother by any group including the Russians.
That's not always the case. We both know this. I've played plenty of online games over the years and have been able to cooperate effectively and efficiently with people not in clans. You have too...

Quote:
and I've played with them plenty of times in IL2 and other games.
Russian ROF players you mean?

Quote:
perhaps it's time to get some glasses?
Oh I already have some. See below for my elaboration.

Quote:
read the bold/italic/underline part REALLY carefully.
I did. That wasn't what I was asking you the first time, so let me ask again even more clearly.

What flightsim (be it a combat one or a leisure one) can compare to the details of ROF? What other can compare to it in terms of particle physics, historical accuracy, engine superiority, etc.?
Old 06-10-09, 10:47 AM   #28
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Even though it's a combat flight simulator?
Well, ofcourse its still a Flightsim is it not? did real life pilots have the chance of spawning mid air with the aircraft?

and I think the same counts for WW1 aircombat nothing is more thrilling then a scramble.

Quote:
And this is only reserved for WWI flight sims and/or Rise of Flight?
No ofcourse not, it counts for pretty much any CFS, the faster and powerfull the aircraft are the faster situations change thats the only difference.

Quote:
No. It comes with any CFS game you purchase. You're going to hit skirmishes and you're going to miss them. It's inevitable and comes with ANY online game (be it a tank simulator, aircraft simulator, or infantry simulator).
You ever played Online Squadron vs the rest in a CFS?(or different game)
I did and our team (the rest) got our asses kicked...reason: perhaps 20-30% of the team played together the rest just took off whenever they wanted they didnt fly as a group and they didnt fight as a group.
and I didnt only experience this in a CFS I also did in a FPS.

Quote:
That's not always the case. We both know this. I've played plenty of online games over the years and have been able to cooperate effectively and efficiently with people not in clans. You have too...
I've experienced that too, thing is it's random...one day you are around with decent players the other day your with a bunch of silent ones that just fly around by themselfs.

Quote:
Russian ROF players you mean?
You reffered Russian players, not Russian ROF players.

Quote:
What flightsim (be it a combat one or a leisure one) can compare to the details of ROF? What other can compare to it in terms of particle physics, historical accuracy, engine superiority, etc.?
How can you compare anything to a WW1 FS other then a other WW1 FS
and how can you call something that focuses itself just on WW1 to be the superior to date?

you see it simply doesn't make sense to say ROF is the most realistic flightsim to date....as it doesn't model what other flightsims has to offer.

HunterICX
Old 06-10-09, 11:40 AM   #29
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I want to thank you Stealth Hunter for a wealth of info and great screenshots.

It seems it's more geared for online\multiplayer than a at home single player. At least at this time.

As I stated before , it has alot going for it.

I just want more for the money up front at purchase.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 12:56 PM   #30
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL View Post

I just want more for the money up front at purchase.
Says the guy with the Ferrari?