SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-14-08, 04:11 AM   #1
anzacmick
Helmsman

Downloads: 134
Uploads: 0
[REL] open beta ANZACMICKS DAMAGE IMMERSION V0.5

gday all,
One of the realism killers for me is the lack of variety of damage for the various impacts of torpedo and naval artillary.
Although damage mods have been released before, this one is unique and totally different than any released .
Hopefully this is a step in the right direction to improving that immersion killer.
While 3d damage is so far not possible in SH3, these damage decals and the various sizes of damage can offer a decent illusion of 3d damage.
Whilst I have provided some select damage decals, u are more than welcome to use/make ur own or favorite damage mods decals, just rename accordingly.
[BETA]
For the open beta run I need some people who actually play the game(campaign and missions) to report back the flaws in damage sizes comparitive to ships sizes and to the damage that is being inflicted. eg torpedos leave big holes whilst artillary shouldnt leave as big a holes.
Whilst I have done my best to get most correct for the V0.5 release, being as there are so many units in the game (over 200) I simply cannot play the game enough to see every unit and every possible damage result....this is where you come in.
Reports needed are the ship type, the damage type(torp or gun), and the size of damage(just right or to big)...pics would also greatly help.
Private messages via subsim or simply posted on the forum will do nicely for feedback.
COMPATABILITY:
Compatability with AOTD-AA-Ship-Schleuse-Bugix, Rubini`s LifeBoats&Debris_v3B & Water_Stream_for_Uboats_V4
JSGME ready:
The mod is JSGME enabled. Simply extract to your MODS folder and enable after AOTD-AA-Ship-Schleuse-Bugix, LifeBoats&Debris_v3B & Water_Stream_for_Uboats_V4 if installed.

Thx for your help in this beta and I hope you do enjoy....
Active feedback will be credited in the final...again thx
Anzacmick

http://hosted.filefront.com/ANZACMICK

Last edited by anzacmick; 12-14-08 at 04:29 AM.
anzacmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 04:20 AM   #2
piri_reis
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115

Sounds interesting. Currently using the Torpedo damage Final v2.0, and it looks great. On the other hand the shell damage is not so satisfying.
I'm curious to see your improvements, I can report back my findings if you pm the link plz.

Lt.z.S. Barbaros Hayreddin, U-35, 2nd Flot/Kiel, Type VIIB
Oct.29.1939, 2nd Patrol Eastern English Waters
Running SH5/TWOS

Last edited by piri_reis; 12-14-08 at 04:21 AM.
piri_reis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 04:43 AM   #3
anzacmick
Helmsman

link is at the bottom of the posting....

here tis again....

http://hosted.filefront.com/ANZACMICK

its in the SH3 DAMAGE folder
Old 12-14-08, 04:54 AM   #4
piri_reis
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115

Oh wow, looking good.
I got the files, off to do some testing.

Lt.z.S. Barbaros Hayreddin, U-35, 2nd Flot/Kiel, Type VIIB
Oct.29.1939, 2nd Patrol Eastern English Waters
Running SH5/TWOS
piri_reis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 08:13 AM   #5
balto63
Helmsman

Downloads: 57

I would like to try this mod, i'm using also your uboot skin , but I'm a NYGM 3.1 player so I presume to have problem .
There is an incomaptibility with "Torpedo damage Mod Final version" by Ocean Blu ?

TIA
Old 12-14-08, 08:55 AM   #6
VikingGrandad
Torpedoman

Downloads: 90

SH3 near its fourth birthday and you modders are still blowing us mere players away with your ingenious ideas for deeper immersion!!

The damage effects in your screenshots look great close-up (almost as good as the 3D damage in SH4) - so I'm sure they will look perfect from a distance, e.g. from the periscope or deck gun station.

Very impressive mod idea and execution!
Old 12-14-08, 09:41 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingGrandad
SH3 near its fourth birthday and you modders are still blowing us mere players away with your ingenious ideas for deeper immersion!!

The damage effects in your screenshots look great close-up (almost as good as the 3D damage in SH4) - so I'm sure they will look perfect from a distance, e.g. from the periscope or deck gun station.

Very impressive mod idea and execution!
Agreed.....similar to the torpedo damage final mod

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 09:48 AM   #8
Ktl_KUrtz
Frogman

Downloads: 800
Uploads: 8

Genius, sheer Genius!
KUrtz
Ktl_KUrtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 09:54 AM   #9
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Impressive mod. Going to have to give it a try.
Old 12-15-08, 01:14 AM   #10
linerkiller
Captain

Downloads: 36

This mod is a revolution..finally also the flak shells holes are visible ! But I'm encountering a problem: I plays S-Boot mod, and enemy shells impact on my boat left no visible damage...probably beacause the s-boot mod change the damage model of the typ 2a u-boat:hmm:

Nice job!

"When we realized that our clubbing and kickings were being administered by the burned, mutilated survivors of our handiwork, we found we could take it with less prejudice." Captain Richard "Dick" O'Kane-USS Tang
http://www.youtube.com/user/willembrock
linerkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 01:39 AM   #11
Silverleaf
Wild Night in Bangkok

Downloads: 5

I can't install your Beta given my current GWX 2.1/SH3 preference, but if it's worth anything, the top screen shot falls short of believable because of closeness of camera - hence distance will help provide a suitable illusion to the effect.

The other images improve the weak damage model that SH3 currently employs.

What could be added? - well without making your job tougher than what it already is, some interior visuals showing through the damage could help improve the overall quality - BUT I think those inner visuals need to be minimal, bare metal etc.

Image 3 is where traces of interior metal should/would be appropriate - this is all based on size of the "hole" of course, so a larger explosions i.e., a torpedo over a 8 cm shell would be more apt to show this type of damage..

I'll follow this closely, but your certainly on the proper track.
Old 12-15-08, 03:08 AM   #12
anzacmick
Helmsman

well so far so good.... the idea of and how this differs from the other damage mods(my old one included) is that the hole sizes are in tune with the amount of damage done...
9 times out of ten a gun shell (unless its a battleship calibre), will be vastly smaller than a torpedos decal.. where as the other mods u basically got 1 size be it gun or torp....

Silverleaf
Quote:
What could be added? - well without making your job tougher than what it already is, some interior visuals showing through the damage could help improve the overall quality - BUT I think those inner visuals need to be minimal, bare metal etc.
you will find there are 7 different ships damage decals and 3 sub damage decals, some incorporating interior visuals

linerkiller
Quote:
I'm encountering a problem: I plays S-Boot mod, and enemy shells impact on my boat left no visible damage...probably beacause the s-boot mod change the damage model of the typ 2a u-boat
oops...my bad...i didnt mod for the S-boot...ill look into it

The subs damage values do need tweaking im sure, just needing some feedback

and again....thx for giving it a go fellas

mick
Old 12-20-08, 01:09 AM   #13
McHibbins
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 80

Like it...really like it. The damage of the 88mm seems a little bit too small, even on a small vessel.
Does someone have pictures or photographs of freighters which were hit by an deckgun ?

Last edited by McHibbins; 12-20-08 at 05:04 AM.
McHibbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-08, 02:21 AM   #14
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413

Looks very good
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 07:44 AM   #15
anzacmick
Helmsman

McHibbins:
Quote:
Like it...really like it. The damage of the 88mm seems a little bit too small, even on a small vessel.
Does someone have pictures or photographs of freighters which were hit by an deckgun ?
I kinda agree with you on this fact simply for the game perspective, however to try and stay with some sort of accuracy(if at all possible) here is something to think about;
one of the photos of the ill fated HMAS Sydney...it shows a 5.9`` shell hole between the 2 gun barrels(more pics in bottom link)

more pics here:
http://www.findingsydney.com/gallery.asp
great website btw...

maybe minimum size for damage can be increased a bit tho
Cheers for some feedback