SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-01-17, 12:38 AM   #4816
Capt Dave J. Harper
Watch

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0

can i get an install guide please
Capt Dave J. Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 07:12 AM   #4817
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Check the depth of the boat at periscope depth and the range to the target. It might be that you're just a pinch below a good PD and losing lock from wave?...
Don't think it is a depth problem. Using manual targeting, I noticed last night that I could automatically id targets at night at over 2000 yards, but could not get an automatic ID (marked by caret) on a target that was only 600 yards away. Seems erratic. Sometimes the target will mark automatically in poor weather, and other times a lock won't hold long enough to get the auto ID and still hit the fire button, especially if you force the unlock in order to pick a different aiming point, which I like to do. Very frustrating when a Mogami passes directly in front of my tubes at 600 yards but my auto targeting won't fix on him.

That said, the bugs with the sonar guy seem to have been squashed. Maybe my keelhauling tactic snapped him out of his Sh*t, or you fixed it in v0.62 (I'm guessing the latter). And my sound problems have disappeared with this release (except for certain command acknowledgements, such as "Firing at Will". I can certainly live with that!

One last question (Sure, like that will happen): As I've said I prefer to be able to increase TC beyond the 2048x added with release v0.60. I got it all the way up to 8192x for v0.61 by changing it in main.cfg in the mod itself, but doing this same change in v0.62 didn't work. Did I miss something or did someone find a new way to impose the limit? Note that I applied the change to the core game and the v0.62 mod. Doesn't seem to work even after reloading the game without the mod, then reapplying the mod. EDIT: I restarted the PC and found my changes were now applied! There must be some residuals from the mods in memory that are not overlayed when I changed the "main.cfg" value and reloaded the mod via JSGME. Something that may be important when it comes to applying mods - from now on when I unload a mod or apply a mod over another one, whether a different mod or a reapplication of an existing one, I will reboot the system to ensure all old values are gone, then apply the changed or new one (hope that makes sense).

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All

Last edited by torpedobait; 07-01-17 at 09:33 AM.
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 08:45 AM   #4818
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I'm apparently in the same boat with PhotoBucket!!

I have a PM from "THEBERBSTER" this morning that asked me to do something about this same issue....my pictures for the "[TEC] Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install" have all vanished with the same image as you see above!!

I've never pushed my images for third party use, however apparently someone else has (maybe pushing my tutorial along as a third party?!?) and poof my pictures are being held for ransom too!!

I notice so far, these genius folks haven't yet caught up with my signature or other images in this thread, as they have with the Windows 10 Tutorial!? But, I bet they'll screw them over too.

Double R you say you're moving your images over to Google?

==================

Oop's I spoke too soon, just an hour later and my signature image is gone! I see my 'ol "Popeye" image is still up...for now!

Just wanted to look at what the "ransom" from Photobucket was........$399.00 for a year's subscription! Sounds reasonable doesn't it!?!
Yes, moving all photos from Photobucket to Google Photos. Photobucket has made that a tedious process. Use the Download Album function. It will fling you into the Captcha from Hell, then not work half the time. I suspect there are so many people doing what I'm doing that their system is a bit overwhelmed. Dodging all the ads which pop up in relation to your mouse position so they interrupt your work is also "fun."

It will take awhile, but I'll get them all moved over. Part 2 of my action is leaving every cancelled pic post as is with Photobucket message so those pics serve as tombstones for Photobucket, showing one and all that they can't be trusted. We were worried about WannaCry ransomware, wanting our $300. Photobucket ransomware wants $99 more PER YEAR. Photobucket, go to hell, go directly to hell, do not pass GO, do not collect $399.

I'm then importing the pics into Google Photos, one folder at a time. That allows me to upload all the pics from a folder. Then Google Photos wants to know if you want to put those pics you just uploaded into an album. I say yes, make a new one, name it the same as my old Photobucket Album, hit the check mark and go to the the next album.

I will restore the graphics on my signature. But I think it's important to leave Photobucket's tombstones everywhere to warn others.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 07-01-17 at 10:18 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 09:39 AM   #4819
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Don't think it is a depth problem...
Well, I'm just now getting around to downloading the "all-inclusive" (using the quintuply-patched previous version for comparing isn't advisable... ), and I'll try some stuff later this afternoon on the sub school. One question though - make that two questions... 1. were you "zoomed-in" looking at the sailors walking about? 2. which of the torpedo missions did you use, the 'easy' one or the 'difficult' one?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 09:40 AM   #4820
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dave J. Harper View Post
can i get an install guide please
Let me see what RR has gotten worked up for that thus far. I do know that the ReadMe stuff in the Support folder has some info, but it is a mess of files due to the amount of add-ons we've been dealing with...

Old 07-01-17, 10:04 AM   #4821
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

This PhotoBucket stuff is a mess!

I've downloaded my images for the [TEC] Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install, and hope to have the thread back in order soon. My other threads/images may be lost to history due to the fact I had accumulated over 700 images on PhotoBucket to use here on SubSim. There's no way I'll be editing my past posts to provide new links for images.

I, like you Double R, do not plan on removing the images from PhotoBucket, let them take up bandwidth and rot for all I care! I suspect they'll remove them one day, and the only testament to their "ransom" policy will be image placeholders that SubSim users have become all too familiar with as past images are lost like vapors from an ashtray.

It's one thing to knowingly change policy on users after an initial policy was established. It's quite another to hold your uploaded files/images for ransom after this policy change!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 10:41 AM   #4822
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Let me see what RR has gotten worked up for that thus far. I do know that the ReadMe stuff in the Support folder has some info, but it is a mess of files due to the amount of add-ons we've been dealing with...
That's top priority right now. That and getting all the readme files to say whateverthey'reabout.readme so you can actually pick out the correct readme to read....
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 10:51 AM   #4823
Capt Dave J. Harper
Watch

posted on the comments but ill repost here,ive installed the mod(worked my way through the mess of readmes) i get in the sub my but my engine telegraph and compass along the bar down the bottem(hotbar i think i forget what its called) does not have a texture,there just white boxes and my command room is either black with no crew or anything or blue like the water and going to external view crashes my game
Old 07-01-17, 11:00 AM   #4824
propbeanie

Which folder do you have your game installed in? It's either that, or it might be a "mod soup issue Capt Dave J. Harper. Did you have "Save" games / career you were trying to keep? If so, copy your My Documents / SH4 folder and keep it somewhere away from the FotRSU mod. You'll not be able to re-use those in this version. Cross-contamination has been quite a problem with all the changes between the beta versions of the mod. After that, deactivate the mod in JSGME. Look at the folder structure of the mod in the MODS folder in your game directory. Make sure that the Data folder is just below the 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.62_PublicBeta_E N folder. That way, when you re-activate, all of the files go into the correct folders.

Old 07-01-17, 11:10 AM   #4825
Capt Dave J. Harper
Watch

i have a steam version with the uboat missions add on ive got the mods foulder as i play TMO2.5 the FOTRSmods in my mods foulder and JSGMEcan see/activate it im trying a fresh install of SH4maybe that will heelp im not sure what you mean by "move the data folder' ive never had to move anything to get any mods to work just drop em into the mods folder in SH4and enable them and they've always worked

EDIT:reinstall worked......kinda.. ive got textures on my telegraph and compass but going to external view still causes crashes i know external view works cause ive seen somebody stream FOTRRS on twitch and theres still a bit of the blue effect going on in my command room in the ceiling of itdont know if thats a mod thing or if it pretains to a 'inknown error' popup i got about the sprites or something(i forget the exact error) it poped upon loading into my attempt to start a new campagin i had to tab out of the game to close it and when i tabbed back in saw the blue spot thing i was telling you about

EDIT2: deleted everything in documents>SH4 to see if that helped the issue.. once again i have no textures on my compas or engine telegraph on my menu bar...external view still crashes my game

Last edited by Capt Dave J. Harper; 07-01-17 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-01-17, 11:49 AM   #4826
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dave J. Harper View Post
i have a steam version with the uboat missions add on ... im not sure what you mean by "move the data folder'...
Did you install in the "Default" Steam folder, which is :C:\ Program Files (x860 \ Steam \ Silent Hunter..."? or maybe the AppData folder? Any of the Windows "protected" folders can cause issues with mods. TMO is enough like stock in many regards, so you may not notice issues with a partial activation. FotRSU, you will, since there's more ships and planes. You'll have to log into your Steam account and use the Library to move the game install, if you hadn't already done that. I'm not sure if Steam is still they same, since they continually update things (trying to keep up with MS I guess), but refer to Post #3 in THEBERBSTER's thread SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS -STICKY INDEX - which has all sorts of excellent reading material in it...

Now, if you don't have the game in a "protected" folder, and you used Microsoft's Archive Manager in Windows Explorer ("Extract here..." dialog after a right-click), it will double the folder structure such that you'll end up with "100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate....", with another folder "100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate..." below it, then the Data and Support folders below that. The mod will not activate correctly like that. You only want one "100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimat..." folder in the MODS folder, not two of them "stacked" like that. Either look in your MODS folder and see how the folder structure looks, or with the mod "activated", look in the game folder and see if you don't see a "100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate..." folder in there alongside the Data folder. If you do, it messed up your game install. JSGME should be able to get everything close to back to normal... maybe...

Old 07-01-17, 12:09 PM   #4827
Capt Dave J. Harper
Watch

i downloaded and just dragged the 100FOTRSectra(to lazy to type the full filename but its whatever the normal download of the mod is) into my mods folder in steam-steamapps-common-sh4-mods ill reactivate it and check my game directory nothings protected(im the only 1 on this pc)all my other mods(TMO2.5,RFB Run silent run deep)work fine sooo idk

EDIT: my mods folder is as follows 100_Falloftherisingsun_ultimate(ectra}FOTRS original FOTRSU 2.0 RFB RFB PATCH runsilentrundeep TMOmetric speed nomoTMOaft deckguns TMO alt engine sounds TMO alt rader performance TMO sample emblem TMO stock gramephone tmoSUBTEXTURES FOOSKIN had caps on for some of the names and obviously some are supose to have underscores..was being lazy sorry if it confuses you

Last edited by Capt Dave J. Harper; 07-01-17 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-01-17, 01:29 PM   #4828
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Check the depth of the boat at periscope depth and the range to the target. It might be that you're just a pinch below a good PD and losing lock from wave?...
49 feet, no waves overlapping periscope, distance about 1000yds. Loosing lock and the dot image of the target.
Old 07-01-17, 01:56 PM   #4829
Capt Dave J. Harper
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
49 feet, no waves overlapping periscope, distance about 1000yds. Loosing lock and the dot image of the target.
probably a stupid question but hows the weather any storms or fog they could be possible reasons tooi know in TMO a bad enough storm screws me

EDIT: fully reinstalled sh4 and uboat missions and verified the game cache(replaceing loke 500 files in the process as a result) got JSGME in my game got my ods foulder and all my mods,now JSGME is popping an error when i go to activate the mod as well as freezeing when the progress bar to activate it fills up.. i closed the program and relaunched it the mods inactive i have no idea what to do im trying to reactivate it and ill see if anything changes

EDIT2: ok so thte mod activated but now the games popping an error
a dialoh box comes up with a yellow triangleed! saying"there is a new(not implemented) page <page PlayerRank and now the game just sits on the first loading bar you get after the intro vid with the bar full after filling up ive hit ok 3-4 times on the error but the games still on the loadingbar and i have to alt F4 it as it wont pop back up to it(screens black ) after i tabbed out to type this

EDIT3:nevermind i clicked through the error then it poped 4-5 more and my game crashed soo idk whats up

Last edited by Capt Dave J. Harper; 07-01-17 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-01-17, 02:30 PM   #4830
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
That's top priority right now. That and getting all the readme files to say whateverthey'reabout.readme so you can actually pick out the correct readme to read....
Could we not create a development folder with the support folder, so that all the correction readme's could go into ?

So say at the next version release, these files would be removed, with the latest fixes taking their place ?

This would leave the support folder free of these files, and just hold support documents for the core mod..