SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-24-10, 01:11 AM   #196
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Hi makman,

I'll only program one version since I cannot take care for all wishes. But I'll try to make all future additions switchable, so that every single addition can be switched on/off individually. One only needs to know which memory address one has to change with HEX-Editor in order to switch.

Otherwise I would be confused about different versions.

n additions / features would lead to 2^n different program versions.

e.g. 5 features would lead to 2^5 = 32 different versions.

h.sie
Old 09-24-10, 06:33 AM   #197
h.sie
Admiral

@Myxale: You told me that you use the Seabed Repair Mod contained in "my" GUI. But this is a combi-mod containing also LLRT. You cannot use LLRT together with the modded exe - LLRT is obsolete .
Old 09-24-10, 02:48 PM   #198
verte
Sparky

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
So I fully agree with LGN1. A fully modded, stable game is worth the little money. it's one box of cigarrettes.
Please remember, h.sie, that it maybe is a box of cigarrettes, but in your country. Certainly not worth buying this game a second time here.

It really is a legalistic paranoia with this sh3.exe. As a person with no-cd (or starforce) version I can only hope to find someone who will be polite enough to make this file available for starforce-condemned people.

And great quality work as always from you, h.sie!
verte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-10, 06:57 PM   #199
Kafka BC
Planesman

Downloads: 163

Just been reading through this thread and all I can say is By Gosh, this is absolutely great work. A big thumbs up to you h.sie.

I only wish I could try it, the UBI endorsed Starforce crack is the reason I finally installed the game after it sat on my shelf for four years, but I am not about to go out and buy a Starforce free one, even if I could find it.

I agree a bit with Verte about the legalistic paranoia.

As an example: the Master of Orion 3 executable was so riddled with gameplay bugs that someone named Bhruic (a god in many peoples eyes) made a patcher program and a large number of small patches over the years to fix nearly all of them. Someone else named Gerra made a number of various enhancement patches for the executable.

All of these patches work on both the stock and No-CD cracked executables - which was fortunate, since applying the final "official" patch to the game would sometimes cause it to not recognize the game CD, thus forcing people to use a cracked version.

Various versions of patched executables are distributed with the four flavors of "Unofficial Patches" - Vanilla, Strawberry, Tropical, and Chocolate - on the Atari forums with nary a peep from Atari.

So I think you have a little wiggle room.

Kafka BC
And make a Northwest Passage to the sea.

- Stan Rogers (1949-1983)

Last edited by Kafka BC; 09-24-10 at 07:08 PM.
Kafka BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 11:55 AM   #200
h.sie
Admiral

Oh, 1000 posts.

@Verte & Kafka_BC

Thanks for your words.

I can understand your position, but patching different exes is too time-consuming for me and would slow down the progress in my current work, which is already very exhausting and slow. Additionally, the cracked SF exe seems to have stability problems. So there are now 2 reasons to look for the starforce-free exe version.

If this were really only a legalistic paranoia, why has no one shared his starforce-free exe with those who have the cracked one? My job is to fix some bugs. Another person could think about how to "transform" the cracked exe (+ 5 dlls) into a starforce-free version for all legal SH3 owners. divison of work.

h.sie
Old 09-25-10, 12:46 PM   #201
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

h.sie, you seem already to have achieved most of the objectives you set out to do.

What else is on your agenda?

Seeing the possibilities, there are (given enough time) quite a few!

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 12:55 PM   #202
h.sie
Admiral

Oh, 1001 posts

@Myxale:

Yes, fixing repair times was my BIG objective for 2 years. All other things are unimportant compared to that.

currently on the agenda:

• BETA testing: reduced accuracy for range estimation of WO and WP.
  • CO2: Achieve longer diving times.
  • Compressed air. First have to look into it.
  • Move lazy WO on the bridge when surfaced
Any further suggestions? Only gameplay/realism oriented - (and easy to fix).
Old 09-25-10, 01:21 PM   #203
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

Dunno how easy or even if its possible or how time consuming...but I always wanted a mod that makes a DC's blind sonar

But other that what you have already done, SH3 is almost complete!
The WO and Repair times were the biggest pains in the backside!

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 02:20 PM   #204
h.sie
Admiral

Wasn't there an error with the AOB dial? When one turns the periscope, the AOB also changes? Or does that work as intended? Sorry for that dumb question, but the last time I've played is more than 1 year ago.
Old 09-25-10, 04:08 PM   #205
Kafka BC
Planesman

Downloads: 163

Quote:
Oh, 1000 posts.

@Verte & Kafka_BC

..... but patching different exes is too time-consuming for me and would slow down the progress in my current work, which is already very exhausting and slow.....

h.sie
I understand. I forgot about the other .dlls, I wouldn't waste my time either. Long ago, back in '94, I studied a wee bit of Assembly and I know how hard it can be. It is only one level up from actually tinkering with the Binary Code. Thank god for Grace Hopper.

I can live without the fix. I may try that bit described by divingbluefrog on the first page.

Good Luck, Love your work,
- Kafka BC
And make a Northwest Passage to the sea.

- Stan Rogers (1949-1983)

Last edited by Kafka BC; 09-25-10 at 04:39 PM.
Kafka BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 05:38 PM   #206
verte
Sparky

Downloads: 36

Quote:
I can understand your position, but patching different exes is too time-consuming for me and would slow down the progress in my current work, which is already very exhausting and slow. Additionally, the cracked SF exe seems to have stability problems. So there are now 2 reasons to look for the starforce-free exe version.
Yes, there is no sense in patching different exes and slowing your work when someone can just make the good .exe available for the rest - you can find few different exes to silent hunter 3 available for legal download in patches from Ubisoft sites... (just not this exact version). You can even download a no-cd exe with Ubi turning a blind eye to it. So what's the problem with this one? Ubisoft should do it themselves if it really is more stable than the starforce version (but they will not do it, because they have their customers in the dark place). Well, lets just wait and maybe sooner or later someone will make it available - and then, if it is so big problem, I will make a big red downloable link to it for everyone myself.
verte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 05:51 AM   #207
h.sie
Admiral

New version V15B online.

New: Inaccurate (and hopefully more realistic) range estimations for Watch Officer and Weapons Officer. No gods-eye firing-solutions anymore.

Before this mod: "Range: 8932m, Herr Kaleun".
Now: "Range: 9000m, Herr Kaleun".

The range estimations now are displayed (and of course internally used for firing solution) in certain range-steps, which become larger (more inaccurate) for larger ranges. In detail:

Range 0000-1000m: Steps: 50m (Weapon Officer) 100m (Watch Officer)
Range 1000-2000m: Steps: 100m
Range 2000-4000m: Steps: 200m
Range 4000-9000m: Steps: 500m
Range 9000-12000m: Steps: 1000m
Range > 12000m: Steps: 2000m

The maximum possible error of the range estimation is Step/2. E.g. for ranges between 2000m and 4000m the step size is 200m, so that the estimation error is max. 100m.

Patch V15B must be applied to unpatched sh3.exe (see 1st post for instructions).

All numerical values used in my mods (ranges, range steps, repair time factor) now are put together in a special data section in the .exe and can be individually adjusted using an Hex-Editor. But this is for advanced users only. In the future I'll post the Hex-Positions and Data Format of all relevant numbers, so that individual adjustments are possible. Also all modifications can be switched on/off individually. The switches are also located in the data section.

(This maybe gives potential for a special configuration program that helps non-experienced users to adjust.)

Hope you like it.

h.sie

By the way: Thank you all for helping with suggestions and positive or negative resonance.

Last edited by h.sie; 09-26-10 at 07:19 AM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 07:12 AM   #208
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi h.sie,

fantastic work Another issue solved which people discussed and wanted to solve since the beginning of SH3 in 2005. Really ground-breaking work from you Many old threads can be closed now.

If Iambecomelife gets this mod out

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=8201

we will also have some more realistic wolfpacks in SH3 ... and we will be closer to the perfect sub sim.

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 07:21 AM   #209
h.sie
Admiral

Hi LGN1,

Thanks again.

What is the difference between IABLs Uboats and Sergbutos Uboats?

h.sie
Old 09-26-10, 07:46 AM   #210
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi h.sie,

the main differences are:

'1) My "friend" here can move at varied depths and even surface.'

Sergbuto's u-boats are either submerged or surfaced.

'2) He can be spawned by radio messages once you sight a convoy.'

Sergbuto's u-boats only appear when scripted in the campaign layers. There is no connection to the player's action.

I guess Iambecomelife uses the 'airplanes' to simulate the sub. If I am right, it would be great because you could create 'airbases' in the atlantic with u-boats as the only 'squadrons'. Then if you send a contact report there is a chance that u-boats are spawned and attack. So, sending a contact report could result in some kind of wolfpack action And all you need is to add some airbases to the campaign_lnd layer (and the airbase definition and sub 'airplane').

It seems to be great work from Iambecomelife. I hope he releases something soon. It seems to be a great step towards better wolfpack actions.

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote