SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-11-17, 09:34 PM   #1
paul7271
Mate

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 0
Default ENEMY AIRCRAFT

Playing Tiger Maru 1.5,set difficulty level hard. Why are the jap
bombers all over you when you surface.You can hardly make any headway on surface. How is it they can detect you so easy no mater where you are.
paul7271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 10:03 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Trigger Maru Overhauled 2.5 for Silent Hunter v1.5 maybe?...

TMO is a difficulty mod, and as such can be difficult, especially if you set the rest of the game to "Hard". If you are seen by ~one~ airplane, they do the E.T. trick and fone home. They tell all their buddies where you are, your heading and your speed. From there-on out, you will be dogged by airplanes, including zeroes with impossible bomb load-outs... Similar happens when you are seen by a Sampan or fishing boat. Don't be seen. Only felt...

If you're wanting to do something between Stock and TMO, try Webster's Game Fixes Only, which is the stock game with a lot of the nigglies' rough edges smoothed by Webster, or you could try TMOwTw, which is Trigger Maru Overhauled with Training wheels, by Dave Grayson. I like them both. Much easier to deal with quite a few aspects of the game with the tweaks those gentlemen did. There is also Ralles RealModPack for TMO_RSRDC_OTC by Bleiente, and it's a new mix of TMO with Run Silent Run Deep, with some of Bleiente's tweaks. For me, a person almost ~has~ to use MultiSH4 v1.5...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 05-13-17 at 11:51 AM. Reason: linkies - and a broken one fixed...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 06:15 PM   #3
paul7271
Mate

Downloads: 114

Yes,2.5 not 1.5. Sorry.
paul7271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-17, 10:52 AM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 11:11 AM   #5
chazsi
A-ganger

Downloads: 54

Just had this problem and almost ended a great career. Playing Fall of the Rising Sun beta

Forced down to approaching aircraft. At radar depth I was still "seen" and attacked though not damaged. Went to periscope depth.

After a thirty game minutes back to radar depth, that aircraft was departing so I surfaced. In very short order another aircraft from a different direction came straight for me. Back to radar depth. Still seen and attacked though I was at radar depth when he was still over 6 miles away.

Looked at external free cam. Ocean looked like a swimming pool it was so flat and calm. Only my antenna sticking up making a white wake. Back to periscope depth for thirty minutes.

Poked back up to radar depth. He's still there and headed back for me. Back to periscope depth. Waited thirty minutes more. And back to radar depth.

He's gone, surface to recharge batteries. About thirty minutes later, here come two more aircraft. Not right for me this time but darn near. And I had NO time to recharge batteries.

Straight to periscope depth and turned right 45 degrees to alter course in case I'm being "ratted out." Stayed under for a solid hour.

Surfaced and only ran about an hour and a half before more aircraft approached. This continued all day.

Obviously I spent a LOT more time submerged than on the surface. We all know the inherent problems with that. Lack of distance traveled and eventual death due to no battery power and unable to recharge them forcing surface travel regardless.

My batteries were down to about 32% when nightfall came and I'd never been so grateful to see the sun go down.

I recharged all night long and LUCKILY the next day saw no early attacks. Good thing cause the ocean was like glass again. I had altered course again over night rather dramatically.

I really thought i would end this career with death by aircraft after being forced to run surfaced with no battery power. Those aircraft can be DEADLY even when using Rocking Robbins great strategy and advice.
chazsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 12:54 PM   #6
propbeanie

The airplanes in FotRSU are, for the most part, TMO v1.7, with some "improvements" in the AI_Kill-ability (like they're on steroids)... They used to calls the airplanes in TMO "Ducimus's Evil Airplanes". In FotRSU beta v0.63 (Fall of the Rising Sun v2 basically), they are "AOTD_MadMax's version of Ducimus's Evil Airplanes"... In other words, they are bumped-up a bit. The thing to do is to have your air search radar on all of the time, even if the Japanese have radar detection by then. Do like Rockin Robbins does in that tutorial video above, only make the circle bigger for FotRSU. I've been using 10nm lately. This means that as soon as a plane is detected, you need to determine how close it is going to come to you. If it looks like it'll be within about 8.6-9.2nm, dependent upon the weather, crash dive and get down to 150 foot. Rockin Robbins stays down for about five minutes. With that longer range you might use in FotRSU, you should give them 8-10 minutes before you come up to PD at "Ahead One Third" - no faster than that - before you stick your scope up for a look-see. If you "see" a plane, check the Nav Map asap, and figure-out where he is and which way he's going. Take her back down to 150 for a bit longer if it's close. Don't hesitate. If you hear bombs, do like below and change course and stay down for 30 minutes or more. If you don't see anything, come up to radar depth, again at no more than "Ahead One Third". You go faster, you'll kick-up too much wake, and that will be seen. You should "see" the plane on radar still, hopefully traveling away. Once he gets out of that 10nm circle, ~then~ you can come up and do it all over again. Take it up to Ahead Standard once you're up top, and recharge them batteries.

If during your first encounter with a plane, they happen to "see" you (pay attention to if they turn toward you), after you crash dive and get down to 150 foot, change course at least 15 degrees and then do no more than "Ahead One Third" (again). This time though, stay down for 30 minutes or more. Come up cautiously again, checking the periscope before coming up to radar depth, and again - go no faster than "Ahead One Third"! You want to be moving, just in case you have to dodge something, but not moving so much that you disturb the water surface so much. The thing is, once you're seen, the one plane will call all of his nearby buddies, and they'll all come trying to find you now, and get a piece of your boat, so they will basically swarm on you for a while. If there is a carrier nearby, they have a tendency in the game (stock included) to launch all that they have at you. It generally takes 30 minutes for them to lose your scent, and maybe then, the AI will reset to no detection... but these are planes, and it can take them a bit to respond sometimes, and they will generally go to a location further up your last known route. Once you're seen, it might take until dark to get them off your trail, hence the course change, and not doing more than Ahead One Third while under. If you're seen again, change course again. Once nightfall hits, resume your original course, only now, make sure you've not altered the course so much that you'll run aground on reef or island, like someone else we know...

In TMO, the planes can "see" your boat down at 100-120 feet. Figure that a little deeper in FotRSU. The current airplane behavior will be part of an overall AI behavior mod choice, once we get things set for finalized release. We're not sure how we'll configure the AI choices just yet, but there will be at least an "Easy" and "As-is" setting. In real life, the planes were extremely dangerous and were not trifled with by most US boats. FotRSU has its planes set like that, only they might be a bit thicker than real life, once there is a detection of your boat, but read some of the patrol reports of real subs, and you'll find that having five and six encounters a day was not all that unusual in some areas...

Last edited by propbeanie; 02-12-18 at 01:03 PM. Reason: sprelling air-orz...
Old 02-12-18, 03:37 PM   #7
chazsi
A-ganger

Great tips prop!

My last career ended when aircraft caught me in a straight. They kept me pinned down until a destroyer could arrive and that was that. LOL

I've found aircraft to be much more perilous than ships thus far.

Thanks again.
Old 02-12-18, 05:44 PM   #8
propbeanie

Bummer... but yeah, straits are to be avoided during daylight hours (if possible) in FotRSU. Patience is key...

Old 02-12-18, 06:38 PM   #9
chazsi
A-ganger

Well thankfully in a sim we get a second chance.

I've not made that mistake again. LOL