SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-16-18, 12:42 PM   #61
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauangua View Post
I have SH4 Steam version... Work with this?
I have steam game outside program folder
But CMS not work...
This my path folder of SH4

C:Games/steamapps/common/Wolves of the Pacific

Thanks mate
I'm not sure if Rockin Robbins has his computer going yet... let me do some experimenting on my Steam installs, and try to find out for you...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 02:48 PM   #62
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1328
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I'm not sure if Rockin Robbins has his computer going yet... let me do some experimenting on my Steam installs, and try to find out for you...
If you can help I thank you propbeanie
With steam nothing problems when play.. FOTRSU or Ralles mod by Bleiente ( other PC ) always good work.
But CMS.. I think Steam problem.
Old 02-16-18, 04:28 PM   #63
propbeanie

OK, as per the documentation in CMS, your game folder has to be "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific", which is what the default Ubisoft install folder name is (or edit the batch files to use something else). Try changing the name of your "Wolves of the Pacific" folder to that. Have the CMS folder in the "C:Games/steamapps/common/" folder. Steam may not like this at all though, and you might have to go through the Steam Library app to change the folder name, and then it also might not like you putting the CMS folder in there. It will depend upon your computer and it's set-up.

One ~really~ big thing - that Steam folder is Write Protected, so you can copy folders and files into it (usually), but a batch file, which is what CMS uses, can't. It won't even throw an error message. So you have to right-click on that "common" folder, and then on the "General" tab, tick that "Read-only..." box so that it clears, then left-click on the "Apply" button. It will then ask you if you want to apply it to all the sub-folders and files, which you do... It will then run "Applying attributes to:" for a while. It was like three minutes on my computer. If you have several games in the folder, it will take longer. I've got SH3, 4 & 5 folders, and that's all.

Once you have the SH4 folder renamed to "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific", and the "common" folder Write-enabled, then you can run CMS and create an "SH4 Pristine" (choice #2) from your files - But your game has to be a "fresh" install. No mods applied yet. After that, ~then~ you can create the other install folders for mods. Now for a caveat: This is on ~my~ computer. I have no idea how this will work on yours. I have an older Intel Duo-Core Quad Core computer with 8gig of ram, running Windows 7 SP1 64-bit... ymmv

One last step(s): Add the modded game folder to your Steam Menu... here again, I'm not sure if this will work with your Steam install, but what I did first was rename the SH4.exe file in my newly created "SH4TMO" folder. I changed it to SH4TMO.exe to match my folder. Then I was started the Steam app on my computer - NOT online, but on my computer. Next, log-in to your account. You should get the "normal" Steam app (after it does its normal "updates"), with a small-sized dark grey text menu up top (Steam, View, Friends, Games, Help) that is somewhat difficult to see on my computer. The bigger menu has the Left / Right arrow keys, then "Store, Library, Community, then your user name. You want to click on that small Games menu choice up top. On that little menu, click on "Add a non-Steam game to my Library". Click on the "Browse" button, then drill through the FileIOdialog box "Add a Game", to the correct folder and click to select the SH4TMO.exe (in my particular case), then on the "Open" button (or just double-click the SH4TMO.exe). That will take you back to the Steam "Add a Game" dialog box (black), where you then click on the "Add Selected Programs" button. Viola! There it is on the menu choice, and lo and behold, it actually ran on my computer...

I was going to post a few screen grabs, but Imgur is down right now, so I can't upload any files, so maybe later. If you try this, let us know how it goes for you.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you should either change the name of your original Steam folder back to the way you had it, or make a copy of it and change the copy's name back, so that Steam can find its install. Just remember that CMS needs to "see" that "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific folder for it to run, unless you edit the batch files (*.bat) instead...

Last edited by propbeanie; 02-16-18 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Whoops!
Old 02-17-18, 12:23 PM   #64
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
OK, as per the documentation in CMS, your game folder has to be "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific", which is what the default Ubisoft install folder name is (or edit the batch files to use something else). Try changing the name of your "Wolves of the Pacific" folder to that. Have the CMS folder in the "C:Games/steamapps/common/" folder. Steam may not like this at all though, and you might have to go through the Steam Library app to change the folder name, and then it also might not like you putting the CMS folder in there. It will depend upon your computer and it's set-up.

One ~really~ big thing - that Steam folder is Write Protected, so you can copy folders and files into it (usually), but a batch file, which is what CMS uses, can't. It won't even throw an error message. So you have to right-click on that "common" folder, and then on the "General" tab, tick that "Read-only..." box so that it clears, then left-click on the "Apply" button. It will then ask you if you want to apply it to all the sub-folders and files, which you do... It will then run "Applying attributes to:" for a while. It was like three minutes on my computer. If you have several games in the folder, it will take longer. I've got SH3, 4 & 5 folders, and that's all.

Once you have the SH4 folder renamed to "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific", and the "common" folder Write-enabled, then you can run CMS and create an "SH4 Pristine" (choice #2) from your files - But your game has to be a "fresh" install. No mods applied yet. After that, ~then~ you can create the other install folders for mods. Now for a caveat: This is on ~my~ computer. I have no idea how this will work on yours. I have an older Intel Duo-Core Quad Core computer with 8gig of ram, running Windows 7 SP1 64-bit... ymmv

One last step(s): Add the modded game folder to your Steam Menu... here again, I'm not sure if this will work with your Steam install, but what I did first was rename the SH4.exe file in my newly created "SH4TMO" folder. I changed it to SH4TMO.exe to match my folder. Then I was started the Steam app on my computer - NOT online, but on my computer. Next, log-in to your account. You should get the "normal" Steam app (after it does its normal "updates"), with a small-sized dark grey text menu up top (Steam, View, Friends, Games, Help) that is somewhat difficult to see on my computer. The bigger menu has the Left / Right arrow keys, then "Store, Library, Community, then your user name. You want to click on that small Games menu choice up top. On that little menu, click on "Add a non-Steam game to my Library". Click on the "Browse" button, then drill through the FileIOdialog box "Add a Game", to the correct folder and click to select the SH4TMO.exe (in my particular case), then on the "Open" button (or just double-click the SH4TMO.exe). That will take you back to the Steam "Add a Game" dialog box (black), where you then click on the "Add Selected Programs" button. Viola! There it is on the menu choice, and lo and behold, it actually ran on my computer...

I was going to post a few screen grabs, but Imgur is down right now, so I can't upload any files, so maybe later. If you try this, let us know how it goes for you.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you should either change the name of your original Steam folder back to the way you had it, or make a copy of it and change the copy's name back, so that Steam can find its install. Just remember that CMS needs to "see" that "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific folder for it to run, unless you edit the batch files (*.bat) instead...
Thanks propbeanie
I probed.. probably my setup no good
no work with me
Hmmm no greath problem, i solve if find problem(uninstall/reinstall), just i'm sorry cannot use your program...more more fast
Old 11-21-18, 04:52 PM   #65
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Question: Is everyone's game installation in a directory called \Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific, or are there people with \Wolves of the Pacific, missing the Silent Hunter part?
I know this question was asked a while back but, I though that I would reply. My game installation is installed with \Wolves of the Pacific. At first, I had some problems installing because the game's properties folder was filled with a solid green in the check box for read only instead of a check mark. This check box was under the 'General' tab and at the bottom under 'attributes'. I would clear the box by a left click of the mouse, click apply. A 'Confirm Attribute Changes' dialog box would appear and ask, 'Do you want to apply this to this folder only or do you want to apply it to all sub-folders and files as well?' After clicking 'Ok', it would make the changes, the box stayed unchecked and I would click 'Ok'. Then it couldn't mirror itself to SH4CMS. I look at the last thing I done, open the properties box of Wolves of the Pacific and the solid green box was back like a bad habit I could quit. After several attempts of trying to remove the solid green box, searching google and wrinkling of hands. Starting ask for help for this forum, it worked! The gods of computers must have heard my plea and granted me this flavor!
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 04:18 PM   #66
scunnygsi
Seaman

Downloads: 128

Ok so iv just installed sh4 from my dvd, installed and ran the sh4cms and its supposed to install jsgme, laa and multish4 into my sh4 folder from what iv read of the instructions, only thing is all its installed is multish4, am i missing something ?
scunnygsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 06:28 AM   #67
propbeanie

The utility runs from batch files (*.bat), which are not able to "search" for your install, even if the names are just slightly different between where you installed the game, and where the batch file is looking for it. Rockin Robbins put some documentation on how to edit the batch files, but if you misplaced a space, comma, period, etc., the batch files can't figure-out what you want.

Old 05-14-20, 07:14 AM   #68
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

Prop. Is Rockin Robin still around?
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 01:59 PM   #69
scunnygsi
Seaman

Downloads: 128

It’s ok, I installed what was needed from the FOTRSU download, thanks anyway
scunnygsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 05:26 PM   #70
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Prop. Is Rockin Robin still around?
He is not around the forums here very often, but does drop by every once in a while. You'll see him more over on the FaceBook side of thangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scunnygsi View Post
It’s ok, I installed what was needed from the FOTRSU download, thanks anyway
You can do similar to what Rockin Robbins did with his batch files, by zipping the contents of your "clean" original install with 7-zip and stowing that away in a safe place for future use. You just won't have the "one button push does it all for you automatically" like RR's batch utility does. A "bat" file is a text file, and you can open them in any text editor and alter the paths and names to your liking easily enough.

Old 12-20-20, 05:40 PM   #71
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Default A couple of things, tips and tricks...

My Legacy CD copy of SH4 v1.0, v1.4 patch and v1.5 U Boat Missions, installs in a folder "Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific". In order to get SH4CMS to play, I have to rename the folder to "Wolves of the Pacific".

For example change

Z:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific

To

Z:\Ubisoft\Wolves of the Pacific

Or

Make a Pristine Un-played copy of your newly installed "Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific" and rename it "Wolves of the Pacific".

Make a copy to another hard drive, rename it and move it back to the folder that "Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific" resides in.

After installation you'll need to disable the "Read Only" attribute in the FOLDER Properties of the "Wolves of the Pacific" folder. Uncheck "Read Only" and Apply to "this folder, subfolders and files". This will enable the MultiSH41.5.exe to function properly. If this is not done you will be unable to change the directory the new iteration of SH4 uses in your Documents folder, for example from SH4 to TMO.

After this is done, and the next time you check the folders read only attribute, it will have been reset to "Read Only". IDK but it all works after that.

You must have at least one install folder of "Wolves of the Pacific" in order to get SH4CMS to play. If you have a Steam Install of SH4, you will have to make several .bat file path changes in order to get SH4CMS to play.

It may end up looking like this:

Z:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific
Z:\Ubisoft\Wolves of the Pacific
Z:\Ubisoft\CorruptionManagementSystem

PM me if you need more encouragement and information.

SH4CMS is essential if you are going to play with more than one Supermod.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".

Last edited by Front Runner; 12-20-20 at 08:35 PM.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote