SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-09-15, 09:28 PM   #61
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post

Since you can't have both things (Though IIRC Privateer managed to get a sub that dived) I would create both surfaced and submerged versions of the same unit. ...
My impression of the AI sub workings, is that there is no-connection between the torpedo tubes and the AI. Meaning that they won't be able to attack without some kind of innovation to help them out. Do you know if this is true or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crannogman View Post
Is there anything you would want added to/subtracted from this work-list?
Sofu-Gan, if it isn't already there.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 09:44 PM   #62
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Sofu-Gan, if it isn't already there.
Sofu-gan already exists as a 3D object - I think it was in the NMMO mod, but I cannot be sure. In any case it is already present in my game world. If I can figure out who made it, perhaps permissions can be obtained
Old 06-09-15, 10:58 PM   #63
derekb525
Seaman

Downloads: 251

aanker has a mod that adds Sofu Gan. it's included with TMO 2.5. I'm not sure if it's included in any other mods though

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1522
derekb525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 03:00 AM   #64
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
My impression of the AI sub workings, is that there is no-connection between the torpedo tubes and the AI. Meaning that they won't be able to attack without some kind of innovation to help them out. Do you know if this is true or not?
AFAIK the only units in SH4 that can attack with torpedoes (real torpedoes) are the aircraft. They also can go up and down. I suggested some time ago to fake a submarine with an aircraft inverting properties i.e. it would raise to peri depth to shoot the torpedo and then sink again after shooting. IIRC someone gave it a try and said that travelling at sub speed was impossible for an air unit. I don't remember if that was for SH3 and not SH4, though. Maybe doing a quick try with an aircraft replacing the model by the 3d of a sub and tinkering around with the unit properties would point out if this is possible at all?

OTH any AI can shoot guns, and you can fake a torpedo with a gun. Someone even attached a real torpedo with wake and all to an invisible gun shell that travelled very slow, but I am not sure how it all ended.

This is one of those things that could eventually be faked by some alternative & creative thinking, but I'm too much out of the SH4 loop right now to be able to take care of it

UBI already put a japanese AI submarine in the game, but I don't know what AI it uses, was it a fake surface ship, a docked ship or something else?
Old 06-10-15, 04:02 AM   #65
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post

OTH any AI can shoot guns, and you can fake a torpedo with a gun. Someone even attached a real torpedo with wake and all to an invisible gun shell that travelled very slow, but I am not sure how it all ended.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4491 is the file. Pretty ingenious but I didn't get the opportunity for someone to shoot at me and test it out.

The .dat file is real interesting to look at in Silent 3ditor though.
Old 06-10-15, 02:33 PM   #66
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

An invisible gun, firing a torpedo is the probable way to go. I saw this idea some time ago, and thought this could work for an AI submarine.

The idea of making something invisible is something similar to what I've done getting a Kamikaze plane to fly directly into a surface ship.

The "plane" is actually a bomb, with engine sound, being carried by an invisible dive bombing plane. Least it's as invisible as I can make it. The games dive bomber won't strike the surface (unless it's shot down)......but a bomb disguised as a plane will. The two fly together as one until the dive bomber completes its dive, then releasing the Kamikaze. The path is so straight you'll never notice the release point. It appears the Kamikaze is flying in on its own....directly towards the target. I've got the hitpoints set so high on the delivery plane that it either will explode in mid air, trailing smoke to the ground (along with the visible Kamikaze plane), or it won't show damage at all (leaving no tell tail sign of it in the air).

The only draw back is when the invisible plane "drops" it's bomb. The AI gunners will continue to fire at the invisible plane as it fly's overhead. You'll see this if the Kamikaze plane is only a near miss.

If the Kamikaze is a direct hit on the sub.....game over!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 05:01 PM   #67
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekb525 View Post
aanker has a mod that adds Sofu Gan. it's included with TMO 2.5. I'm not sure if it's included in any other mods though

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1522
Feel free to use it, 'it is freeware, not for commercial use'.

Yes, it is in other mods. I recommend adding a very small 'X' dds graphic so it can be easily found in-game at higher zoom levels:

Quote from the Readme:
----------------------------------------------
[MapLocation nnnn] <----- where n is a number*
Type=0
Priority=0
Title=Sofu Gan
Heading=123.000000
OnLand=false
ShowOnMap=true
FirstRenderStep=false
FileName2D=SmallX.dds <----------- add a very small 'X' dds graphic here
FileName3D=SofuGan.dat
LocationName=Sofu Gan
MinObjTerrainHeight=0
MaxObjSlope=1.000000
GameEntryDate=19380101
GameEntryTime=0
GameExitDate=19451231
GameExitTime=0
Font=FPCond18.dds
FontColor=255
UseDetColor=true
ZoomStart=50
ZoomEnd=1
ScaleOnZoom=true
Scale1024=14.377808
Long=16842640.000000
Lat=3576380.000000
Height=0.000000
----------------------------------------------

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 06:23 PM   #68
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
An invisible gun, firing a torpedo is the probable way to go. I saw this idea some time ago, and thought this could work for an AI submarine.

The idea of making something invisible is something similar to what I've done getting a Kamikaze plane to fly directly into a surface ship.

The "plane" is actually a bomb, with engine sound, being carried by an invisible dive bombing plane. Least it's as invisible as I can make it. The games dive bomber won't strike the surface (unless it's shot down)......but a bomb disguised as a plane will. The two fly together as one until the dive bomber completes its dive, then releasing the Kamikaze. The path is so straight you'll never notice the release point. It appears the Kamikaze is flying in on its own....directly towards the target. I've got the hitpoints set so high on the delivery plane that it either will explode in mid air, trailing smoke to the ground (along with the visible Kamikaze plane), or it won't show damage at all (leaving no tell tail sign of it in the air).

The only draw back is when the invisible plane "drops" it's bomb. The AI gunners will continue to fire at the invisible plane as it fly's overhead. You'll see this if the Kamikaze plane is only a near miss.

If the Kamikaze is a direct hit on the sub.....game over!
That's freakin' genius!

By the way, I was meaning to tell you how well done the omnimeter was in OTC. I mean it's a beauty in UI design, the way it acts as a background for the other icons when not in use.

You really have a talent for design!
Old 06-20-15, 05:33 PM   #69
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Capn_Scurvy, are you planning to do a B-25 or New Orleans-class cruiser? I made a campaign layer for the Doolittle raid, but had to use Hudsons in place of B-25s (someday I need to get around to painting them olive). I'd also like to replace some of the Northamptons sailing around...
Old 06-21-15, 11:12 AM   #70
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Capn_Scurvy, are you planning to do a B-25 or New Orleans-class cruiser? I made a campaign layer for the Doolittle raid, but had to use Hudsons in place of B-25s (someday I need to get around to painting them olive). I'd also like to replace some of the Northamptons sailing around...
Yes I am.

I have downloaded a couple of B-25's from several free 3D model sources. I've not opened them yet to see which will transfer into the game best, but my intention is to have a B-25 Mitchell in-game. I'm also planning on having a B-29 in-game. It played such an important role in the Pacific, I don't see how it was left out?

Ships too, but the free source sites are scarce in the one's I'd like to add. Two IJN Carriers I'd like to add are the Kaga, and Akagi. Would make the Midway Battle more authentic. However, there's no "free lunch" for these models. $150.00 each is the going price.

For doing this as a hobby, that's too much to pay for a tight butt like me!!

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 06-21-15, 01:43 PM   #71
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Quote:
Yes I am.

I have downloaded a couple of B-25's from several free 3D model sources. I've not opened them yet to see which will transfer into the game best, but my intention is to have a B-25 Mitchell in-game. I'm also planning on having a B-29 in-game. It played such an important role in the Pacific, I don't see how it was left out?

Ships too, but the free source sites are scarce in the one's I'd like to add. Two IJN Carriers I'd like to add are the Kaga, and Akagi. Would make the Midway Battle more authentic. However, there's no "free lunch" for these models. $150.00 each is the going price.

For doing this as a hobby, that's too much to pay for a tight butt like me!!
Cool - I put a lot of research into building the Doolittle raid. If you send me the B-25 model, I can plug it into the correct Task Force layer.

Sucks about the Akagi and Kaga - they're pretty similar, though, maybe you only need one
Old 06-21-15, 02:39 PM   #72
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 586

Quote:
Cool - I put a lot of research into building the Doolittle raid. If you send me the B-25 model, I can plug it into the correct Task Force layer.

Sucks about the Akagi and Kaga - they're pretty similar, though, maybe you only need one
The Kaga, and Akagi are pretty similar, but the BIG difference is that the Alagi had her island on the left side of the flight deck, rather than right. I hope that this mod could attract the attention of someone who can do 3d modeling.
avers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-15, 04:49 PM   #73
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
I'll do that when I get to it.

The lastest model I've been working on is the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk (always liked their toothy grin ). Not done with it yet........summer!! Too little time to be sitting in front of a computer!!

Quote:
Old 06-21-15, 05:44 PM   #74
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Quote:
I'll do that when I get to it.

The lastest model I've been working on is the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk (always liked their toothy grin ). Not done with it yet........summer!! Too little time to be sitting in front of a computer!!
Ha, I hear ya. I saw a few free New Orleans models around. I know nothing about setting up all the ship files. Time being, I'm trying to figure out the different coastal artillery bunkers' damage etc
Old 07-20-15, 12:42 PM   #75
Crannogman
Watch Officer

I've mostly finished the reefs in Torres Strait, Palau, and Eniwetok. I have managed to find a lot of free-ish nautical charts that make the job easier. I think I have made a small breakthrough in making ships avoid land - I have been building the reef terrains more sparsely, but filling the gaps with anti-sub nets. My hope is that the 3d object will help AI ships avoid running aground, while the land on the navmap will help the human player avoid the nets and seek out the true channels. Once I have finished the various atolls and reefed harbors, I can finish modifying the ship traffic routes